Wim’s Occasional Guide to Melbourne Bars

Sold!

2 Likes

Island Somewhere, just south of Franklin Street Reserve/Queen Vic Market, deserves mention on the arcade machine side. I think their presence is still undeclared behind a secret door.

1 Like

Check out Bar Americano.

1 Like

On holidays, we went to a pub named the Post Boy Hotel in Nelson, NZ last week. On entry there was a sign that mentioned no gang related regalia, also dirty work boots must be removed. The decor was a mishmash, the kitchen was super basic but it was cheap and cheerful, all posters on the wall were all laminated - every single one. We spoke with a drunken hairdresser named Carol, an academic semi retired Botanist and blokes who’d driven graders and trucks for decades. The Canterbury Crusaders got up over a young Qld Reds side in an open and flowing encounter.

As much as I enjoy theme bars, novelty and exotic beers and spirits - this has strangely become exotic to me now. It was like stepping back into 1995, which for all its apparent imperfections was amazing last week. This style of pub still exists but seems to be relegated more and more from metro areas by bars and pokie dens further out. I guess the sticks is where you still find these places. They’re not all good but I’m missing them already.

This sign (laminated) was just outside the Mens.

7 Likes

I sold my PinBot years ago still regret it, it’s at a mates so still go around to play it. One of my best restores as well.

2 Likes

Indiana Jones, Medievil Madness, Attack from Mars (NOt revenge), Dracula, Fish Tales, Circus Volataire, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Demolition Man, No Fear ?

2 Likes

Some solid choices. Indiana Jones and Attack from Mars were the 2 of that lot that I played the most. They had demolition man at the Tote for a while I think.

Obviously (in the 90s) all the Bally/Williams were much better than the Gottlieb or Sega ones.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s very good!

Years ago when I was in the Cairns region, one pub I was drinking in had the men’s dunny door marked as “Mangoes” and the ladies’ as “No Mangoes”.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that still exists as I’ve seen it, but can’t remember the establishment.

1 Like

My go to bar when I’m in town. :+1: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Galaga + 1

1 Like

“‘Ridin’ on that lucky river boat.’”

Quality joint. Need to book early though.

1 Like

Industry

Theme: Backpackers
Clientele: I just told you, backpackers.

Let’s face it, you’re not here on purpose. Maybe you were going to the pinball bar with the secret entrance only to find it’s not open yet.
Maybe your wife dragged you to the Vic Market and you thought, ‘gotta be a bar around here somewhere.’

Well there is. And it’s exactly as good as it looks!

This is the worst bar I’ve been to in a long time. It is comically, charmingly, bad.
It is the B Grade zombie movie of bars.
I love it.
Mrs Wim did not.

It’s attached to a backpackers. It…kinda smells. The (tiny) bar was left unattended for fifteen minutes of the half hour we were there.

Relax in our luxurious beer garden.

But the music was good, the drinks were super cheap, the patrons were young and laid back as if they didn’t have mortgages or…y’know…jobs…and that made me nostalgic and wistful and jealous.
It has two pool tables. They don’t charge to use them.

F
But a very affectionate F

7 Likes

Just a quick one.

Romeo Lane

Theme: Hidden. Cozy.
Clientele: 20-30 year-old middle everything. Income, dress, vibe. Not work gear and not suits.

Wonder what’s behind this.

Finding hidden bars is fun. Hidden, of course, not secret. I’m not cool enough to know secret.

Oh. It’s…someone’s house?

I must confess, I didn’t really get this place. It’s nice enough. Intimate, I guess, in that it’s small and certainly very homey.
Apart from this room there’s a skinny little outdoor alley where they have tables for two, which would be kind of cute if they weren’t so close to the bathroom (read: outdoor dunny).
And that’s it.

I guess it would be a nice local for a small group of friends who want to treat a bar like their lounge room.

Probably the best thing about it is that it’s directly across from…

C+

1 Like

One of of my favourites.

1 Like

They’ve done a really good job. It’s hard to keep a theme bar popular but so far so good.

1 Like

I love it.
In fact I really like what they’ve done with that couple of blocks. Last time we were there the girls hit some little place that did $20 jugs of cocktails. Kicked things off beautifully. Then off to Mavs for dinner, and on for a fair old soak at the 18th. Great night.

1 Like

The town definitely needed something to happen. The centre has been in fast decline for a while. The Hot Chicken Project and Caruggi are also excellent if you’re back down this way.

1 Like

Will be back over summer. Will check them out.

1 Like