Wise in Foresight- #1 Pick Time Capsule

I’ll go on record and say I preferred McLuggage. I guess he felt like more of a “game-changer” to me.

I'll go on record and say I preferred McLuggage. I guess he felt like more of a "game-changer" to me.
+1

Fantastic choice, well done again Disco.

I'll go on record and say I preferred McLuggage. I guess he felt like more of a "game-changer" to me.

Game changer??? FFS, he’s the best player in TAC history. Dodoro may be right passing on him. But fark me, its a big big big call. Everytime someone looks awkward in front of goal I’ll be thinking… Clug would’ve kicked that off one step.

1 Like

Brisbane will f*ck up McCluggage’s development and we’ll sweep in and pick him up with a 3rd round pick in 6 years time.

Jonovdp, pls.

When was the last time we have ever swept in and picked up any big guns?

You are confusing us with Hawthorn. That is where he will go once he succeeds in his apprenticeship in QLD.

Jonovdp, pls.

When was the last time we have ever swept in and picked up any big guns?

You are confusing us with Hawthorn. That is where he will go once he succeeds in his apprenticeship in QLD.

Sorry, Tongue in cheek.

I actually think it is now - after the draft has been run and we have our picks that people record how they think we fared.

Some people seem gabby with our draft because we didn’t pick the obvious high profile picks. Maybe record your thoughts here and test how much of a footy judge you really are.

Great idea!

FWIW, I think it is a mistake to pass on the best performed player in TAC history

I am underwhelmed by most of the other picks we made and think we should not have missed the opportunity to choose Rioli - especially when there was no pressure at the higher picks we did choose.

I refuse to participate in these predictions after I made the call that Slattery (no, not Henry) was going to make it. I still haven’t lived that down and it’s been ■■■■■■■ years…

I refuse to participate in these predictions after I made the call that Slattery (no, not Henry) was going to make it.
To be fair, he made a great step-ladder for Steinberg.

Before the draft I was leaning towards McCluggage over McGrath. But not worried who we picked as long as it was one of them.
At the second pick I wanted a slider (hoping for Venables). That didn’t occur.

Now that the draft is complete…
I’ll do a benfti and list who I would have gone with at those picks…
Pick 1… McCluggage
Pick 22… Shai Bolton. Really like the way he moves. I like WA midfielders so I would also have considered Fisher, but preferred Bolton as a point of difference.
Pick 31… I would have bid on Scheer here. Expecting GC to match, then I would have taken Clarke here. I’m not a fan of Battle. Would have considered Josh Rotham.
Pick 42… I’ve run out of names I know of at this point. I recall Jack Graham was an okay SA midfielder. I heard some good things about Kobe, but never really anything that made me keep an eye on him. I’m happy to back the club in with the Kobe Much call.
Pick 63… I’d be annoyed that Darcy Cameron got taken before this pick, but not overly worried that we didn’t get him. Scharenberg would have been a good choice. I haven’t heard much about him but he seems a semi decent choice at this pick. Otherwise, I would have passed and taken another rookie.

So…
McC and Bolton for their outside run. I know McC is an inside mid too, but he should be starting as an outside mid.
Clarke, Much and Scharenberg would be our future inside midfield options.

I’m not against who we’ve chosen. I think most would question Ridley and Begley (just like most questioned and Morgan*). I don’t know of Ridley. He’s 192cm so not a medium sized player but agile enough to play on the third tall. He could be the next Cale Hooker. Begley reminds me a little bit of James Sicily (who I really rated at that draft) but not as good. Hopefully, the club has made the right choices. The other choices are fine.

We still lack a decent backup ruck, but there wasn’t much available that were ‘must have’s’. Grab one in the rookie draft (either McKernan or other to develop).
I would have liked a dangerous goal kicking forward with one of the last two picks even though we’ve sort of covered that with Green.

• FWIW… I wanted Harley Balic ahead of those two. Liked the way he moved. Unfortunately he’s an LTI at Freo and may struggle to get games when they get their midfield group back and playing.