Women's AFL Team for EFC - 2021 entry at best

But the comps don’t overlap do they?

I Agree we need to apply for a womens VFL licence.
Play against Diamond Creek & Darebin, StKilda win the Flag.
then when we get AFL licence will be able to walk straight in to the comp with Coaches & players.

3 Likes

Don’t know how you can have a 14 team comp without Essendon in it.

Farking saga.

2 Likes

As pointed out above, no, we won’t have players, cos the vast majority of good ones will get drafted by AFLW clubs once we’ve put the work into developing them. Some (like Michaela Long) might refuse to nominate cos they only want to play for EFC but they’d be a minority I suspect. And given the earliest we’ll possibly have a team is three full years off, our player prospects are looking at losing a huge chunk of their career if they stick with their ambition of playing for EFC. It’s a tough sell.

1 Like

It’s hard to say I really care tbh.

The AFL have come far too late to women’s sport and are cashing in on the momentum of other women’s sport. Yet they have the arrogance to say theyre the biggest women’s sport in Australia and separated themselves, and the women footballers, from all the opportunities that other sports have to offer.

6 Likes

Obviously not.

What made ours so convincing? Because we made a film with Longy’s daughter in it? Because Heppell delivered it in person?

Did you see the actual proposal?

5 Likes

Disappointed.

Yep

1 Like

One of the problems was that the AFL decided to grant the unsuccessful original bidders ‘provisional licenses’ - a decision they only made and announced after the bidding and decision process had concluded. Had we known that was going to be the case, we would have put in a bid originally, but the AFL changed the rules on us post (how unlike them)

1 Like

When we enter the comp we’re in a good position to poach them back.

Did it have chicks in Bikinis?

If not, surely Hepps taking a dump on camera would have been a more compelling argument for Essendon to get a team than giving a team to North.

So, my lack of interest in the AFLW competition will continue for the foreseeable future…

9 Likes

■■■■■■ afl… I hope Michaela Long nominates for one of the aflw teams then transfer to us when we get a team up. Really ■■■■■■ decision by those bastards.

Xav “Willing to spend millions of dollars on dedicated women only facilities, along with the already the best sporting facility in the country, millions of fans across Australia with the second highest attendance rate (second only to the Richmond Bandwagon), have a marquee player lined up and are helping expand the “thin” talent pool by recruiting from remote indigenous areas of Australia.”

AFL Logic “Yeah, nah we will give licence to a dysfunctional Gold Coast who cant retain any players or build a semi decent team who have been given everything under the sun and a club we tried to merge/relocate a few years ago in Norf”

Xav :thinking:

14 Likes

Which other clubs, beside us and Hawthorn, do not have a start date?

That’s fine; their choice to pass on just about their biggest cash cow…pretty surprising

1 Like

They haven’t passed on their biggest cash cow… we’ll still be paying for it.

And the revenues won’t get anywhere near paying for it anyway, so they hardly need us to actually be a part of the competition.

1 Like

I’m still not convinced this isn’t partially a scheme to prop up bankrupt clubs.

13 Likes

AFL dont want us ? Maybe we can get into Womens Soccer? Thats also called “football”, right?

3 Likes

Port/Sydney/Hawthorn/Essendon dont (and prob wont) get one

3 big money clubs there…and Port

2 Likes