Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

Look, if you want to go on with it, that’s not the post I responded to, and you know it.
The mods took your post out and mine too. Just own up to it.

That is true but we are hardly on our own in that category.

Some teams allocate players to jobs, plenty don’t. Hawthorn actually change their whole style depending on the match up but they are pretty unique.

Imo it’s ■■■■■■■ ridiculous that any team would not allocate one average player to tag the opposition gun but it’s all part of the way teams are so dead set about setting up the way they want these days.

I they must persist with Woosha, for fark sake get him assistants that can support his weaknesses. He needs to accept his weaknesses and embrace new assistants who will address these.

He dosesn’t strike me as a motivator so that needs to be addressed. Tactics. Game plan structures. Development.

If they don’t sack him and allow him to remain contracted, but address the assistants than i will be somewhat mollified.

6 Likes

If that’s the case then the better explanation would be because of the vibe.
You really can’t categorically say Hardwick would have succeeded or failed had we taken him instead of Knights.

Unless of course…
There is a Dr Strange amongst our supporter group…

1 Like

I’ll give you Hardwick and Beveridge.
But how can you say Buckley had that?
He had that last year. But every year since he took over from Malthouse, he’s taken a team from a preliminary final down the ladder every year by trading out talent.

I’d also argue Malthouse had it too by getting the Pies to two Grand Finals in the early 2000s. Doesn’t mean he’s the right choice for Carlton though because they couldn’t handle his coaching style.

Big money comes from sponsorships; much of which has the blessing of CEOs with a love of the club. Once they start to rustle the contracts and begin asking questions when the losses continue, then and only then will you see the board begin to squirm. As members we have zero influence. We are the little people at the bottom of the food chain.

3 Likes

He’s going nowhere. Unfortunately.

I tend to agree with this. I think there are coaches who can really lock in on and harness an underdog attitude and get a team to play better than it actually is. Where those same coaches sometimes struggle is taking that same team, and actually eradicating the “underdog” culture to build a successful dynasty.

I do strongly believe that there are different types of leaders for different types of situations (I remember Jobe stating that some leaders are made to lead through muddy water…) . Scott is a very good coach in the way that he harnessed that underdog status (which IMO is exactly what the so-called Shinboner spirit is) and got Norf to perform better than they actually were. In many ways, he coaches the way he played. Not the most talented, but gave it his all and got the most out of himself. Which is why I don’t think he’s a man to build a culture of success after success after success. (That’s not to say that you need someone who had a successful playing career BTW)

Essendon, despite our mediocrity over the last god knows how long, will never be the underdog. What we need (and I’m preaching to the choir here, I know) is ruthlessness. Hird was not that as a coach, Knights was definitely not that, Thompson used to be that, and Worsfold… well, evidence would suggest he’s not either.

Anyhow - as @benfti said - get Kelly.

surely his head will be on the chopping block if we end the season bottom 4 after the hype around us pre-season

He will be saved by the injuries excuses. Have no fear of that one popping up.

good luck with that

Nope. Staying the course.

gut feel or have you heard something?

Was the sacking of Hirdy that was the mistake. He likely would have made it.
Not for sure but likely.

3 Likes

I’m talking about when he was getting nine wins with barely a backman, let alone a backline.

I don’t agree regarding Malthouse.
I don’t think he was light on quality.

That’ll be the end of my membership. Already downgraded from silver to interstate since it’s merely a donation anyway. But I refuse to any longer give my hard earned cash to a club that continues to operate with blinkers. Taken for granted for far too long.

9 Likes

He’s safe even if we end up bottom four?

I’m sure your sources are good. But, that doesn’t make any sense to me at all. He was supposed to coach us to a finals win this year.

I’m completely confused.

1 Like

get ready, settee, go and get mollified.

Try and stay confused if you move outta that space, you might end up p1ssed off.

1 Like

That’s a long gestation.