Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

I think our forward line system is dysfunctional because we can’t get 3 players to play together for a consistent amount of time.
This week it was Raz and Lav out, adding to JD and Smith out. You need 3 of those players fit because they know exactly when to run back and they don’t get sucked up the ground too far.

I’m really happy with the win and where we currently stand, and I’ll be even happier if we can keep it up. Things are tracking very well indeed and if you hold the position that it’s all about the coach then then he gets the kudos for us not just winning (though that’s important) but being better across all lines, harder, hungrier, more committed and more organized.

I hold the opinion that it’s not all about the head coach, so I wasn’t too harsh on him prior to last night and I’m not lining up to tongue his nuts just yet. We are definitely playing a good brand of footy. We aren’t surprising teams or fluke g wins , we are playing good footy and the wins have reflected that.

Maybe if the crows had kicked a couple extra straight and if Wallas magic didn’t come in time against the Roos we’d still be doubting the system, but I think the fans believe now and we are glad the club hasn’t overreacted during the season.

Woosha was right when he said after round 11(?) that there was a lot of footy left in the season. It looked like we’d written off finals and if we can win next week then the next game against port could be our ticket to the top 4. All those teams ahead of us had a good run of wins somewhere in the season and ours has come at quite a good time.

One last thing, let’s give plenty of credit to the players. Woosha and the club have nurtured them and allowed them to evolve and flourish, but they are putting in the effort, executing the skills and making the split second decisions and should be commended for their results - I’m so happy that they are getting rewarded when it must have looked very bleak earlier in the year.

One week at a time still, right, and also remember playing finals isn’t the end game… but let’s see how good we can get in the next month or so and who knows…

2 Likes

Does that mean the mids just have to blindly hack it forward without looking?

The Caracella talk is pretty funny. It’s a good question about whether he wants to be a head coach. He’s been an assistant for a fair while now. Has he ever applied for a senior job?

Also, was he really the mastermind behind Richmond’s premiership like many on here go on about? Or did he just play his role amongst half a dozen other coaches who did the same? How would we really know?

38 Likes

Not necessarily, but with the game plans the plan might be for the mids to get it forward and they should be expecting the forward being there. Similar thing in the NFL, when the QB throws it and there is no one there, half the time it is the receivers fault because he should have been there as that is the plan/play.
If the midfielder has the ball and sees no forward up there when there should be does he:
A) hold onto the ball and get tackled, potentially giving the ball up
B) handball backwards or into a contest potentially giving the ball up
C) kick blindly 40m up the line potentially giving the ball up?

Of course, this is assuming the player with the ball doesn’t have time to assess all options.

I think with Caracella it is because he was also at Geelong and Richmond and has a good footy brain. Think he was also at the Pies as an assistant, not sure.
So he has been around quite a few successfull team both as a player and coach.

I notice particularly early in games that when we have a mark about 70-80m out we just bomb it in and hope for the best

Well when hat is the case than that’s on the player, if he has a mark there is no excuse to assess his options. If none present (say a 15m kick backwards) then it’s on the forwards.

Plus we have won four in a row.
We are in the 8.
And yet we are discussing if we want to get rid of the coach.
If I saw that on another club’s fan forum I’d be thinking WTF.

6 Likes

I was one, I believe he has made some key changes that have made him more effective

I think he has handed over the match day reigns and has become a calming influence on the bench

I think he has made the personnel moves that we all wanted at the start of the season - Myers, Bags, Dea weren’t taking us forward. The kids are alright.

Credit to him - we look like a team that can tough it out now and we looked like a cultural disaster 10 weeks ago

5 Likes

Well done woosha , keep it up

1 Like

No doubt key changes have been made that have made a difference

Playing a tagger

Backing in the kids more

Making moves earlier in games instead of waiting until it’s too late

3 Likes
4 Likes

I’m indifferent to him.

But who speaks to the players when they come to the bench?

Woosh seems to mind his own business.

1 Like

Many of the criticism that we had about Worsfold, he has adapted into his coaching over the last 6 weeks.

He has started adapting to changes earlier in games.

He is switching players around quicker.

He is giving Francis, Parrish & Langford a consistent run in the seniors.

He is playing a tagger.

So essentially we were right. So all the people trying to attack those of us who were overly critical of the coach, can apologise to the people who were found to be right… as we are now winning games of football thanks to our critique.

16 Likes

I take no joy from being ‘right’ as I’ve been wrong plenty of times. Worsfold is right - a player led team is a powerful thing… I got impatient.

I’m quite sure they don’t get their coaching tips from us armchair heroes though I do think that blitz wrote that Niall article

2 Likes

Oh fk off.
Seriously.

11 Likes

No.

Surely this statement is in jest?!

Probably the truth is that the coaching staff in synch with the playing group concentrated on the agreed game plan that involves team focussed running and accountability, with manic play and dash combined with a high degree of skill and confidence. As the game plan is developing, other strategies become apparent and the effectiveness further enhances said game plan. Furthermore, it is the large and constant injury list that has caused players switching around faster and sometimes the need to adapt earlier to changes in games.

Interesting to note that generally, the criticism of biased umpiring and inept coaching decreases when we win six of the last seven games.

1 Like