Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

I don’t believe the “Myers dropped himself” story. I reckon it’s just PR for some reason to make Myers look better.
Naturally with a senior player there was probably a lot of discussion with the coaches before it happened, but there is no way it was solely his decision

2 Likes

Woosha is a manager of people, he knows the importance of respect, giving people autonomy and a fair go. It is how to make people, players and staff, work at their best.

He did not inherit perfection, he was given a shiit sandwich in regards to the circumstances he took on, and ate it with a smile. The respect he showed to the players farked over by the saga has been admirable, and it has strengthened our club, not broken it like it so easily could have.

As an organisation he came into a place that had literally been turned upside down and rebuilt. Again, you can’t expect anything close to perfection in those circumstances.

Blitz loves a good rant and rave, which is our job, but that doesn’t make a good workplace. Knee jerk responses make everyone unsettled and makes it difficult to function well.

Nevertheless Woosha has made the changes when it is clear they are needed, but they can’t happen overnight. Neeld was given the push when the communication and the game plan wasn’t working. Our strength and conditioning manager Paul Turk left early in the year after a questionable pre-season preparation. We have not been happy with our tactical responsiveness, Rob Harding is looking for another job. We know our forward line is not functioning well, Paul Corrigan is looking for another job. Our team defence wasn’t working initially, but we persevered and it is working more coherently across the ground now, calm tweaking and giving it time was required. Each time a change has been made there has been a noticeable improvement in our performance. Good management takes time which Bomber, Clarkson, Hardwick and Buckley have proven.

The truth is our window is only just opening in terms of the playing group. I am very happy that Worsfold is sorting things out, and helping our young players work out how to play the game as a team, believe in each other and know what to do when it needs to be done, that is great coaching.

My recent epiphany that I keep going on about is the fact that our list management has adapted brilliantly to our circumstances post the disaster sparked by the 2012 season. Our recruitment since then is crazy good, with only Hooker, TBC, Hurley, Zaka, and Heppell left in our best 22 from our 2012 list (and we aren’t even relying on them). We have been pretty much averaging bringing in 5 AFL quality players a year since then and most of it has been done since the start of the 2015 season. And it isn’t only the quality of the players, the age profile has been masterfully managed.

Why I mention it here, is that it is really not possible to bear the full fruit of this outstanding recruiting in any less time than the time it has taken. We have a top of the ladder VFL side, which has been our absolute premiership barometer for the past 35 years, and we can see the character development on the field, and it has only really begun to take since our young players have come into the side, mature and ready to go.

My take is that: our time is now, and it is only just beginning. Between Woosha and our list managers, I am very happy indeed.

17 Likes

For some reason, people on here would be much happier if he did a press conference calling everyone dropped a ■■■■ truck, and claiming credit for every single coaching/drafting/selection decision.

He steadfastly refuses to big-note himself, or stick the boots into anyone else in the organisation. He almost always gives guys an out - rested, managed, team balance - and conspicuously credits his assistants for most changes that pay big dividends.

And on the rare occasion when he does put the boot in (which he did after rd 1) you know he ■■■■■■ well means it.

People want him to rant and rave, Dean Laidley style, that ■■■■ wears thin after 5 minutes.

16 Likes

The people that need to know what he thinks, know what he thinks.

3 Likes

Mind flayer

1 Like

The fact we’ll likely play finals with our injury list is pretty amazing. The way we’re playing football right now is way better than last year. There’s no way Woosha is going anywhere (barring us losing most of our last games). I’m surprised you still think it’s up in the air.

2 Likes

Pretend he’s Trevor Bayliss robbo

Well said Stan!! :wink:

1 Like

All with a different club. Malthhouse was a great fit for Carlton being the legend he was.
If Worsfold takes us to a premiership, I will gladly eat my words and rename the group, Worsfold > armyofpoon

2 Likes

Malthouse won 2 flags with his 2nd club.

2 Likes

There is a lot of Dunning-Kroger going on here today.

1 Like

And another with his third club.

2 Likes

The coach of the world champions?

Exactly. If the coaches wanted him int he side, he would have been in the side, he wouldn’t refuse them. And if they told him he’s not selected it’s not like he could just go and play.
Maybe he begged for another game but said “if I don’t do X then I’ll step aside” or something. But players don’t get to choose which side they play in, no way.

FWIW I’m firmly of the belief that the club will stick with him. But if we were to make finals and lose again I don’t think he should remain

If you offered me a finals win in week 1 and we got out in the 2nd week I would take that right now and be the first one in this thread to apologise to worsfold

I give him full credit for developing a style of play that I’m pretty sure will stand up in finals

4 Likes

I never liked him and never wanted him. Still dont like him. Our start to the last two seasons was boderline inexcusable and for the past two years no one had seemed to improve much. And the style of play was mindnumbingly boring, frustrating and seemimgly unable to be changed.
In the past couple of weeks its not just that we have won, it the way we play that seems to have changed. Players appear to have taken a step forward. There is more endeavour, there is more dare.
Maybe this is all the coaches doing, I dont know. If it is good on him.
When something is not working, changes have been made. Thank goodness, it was a long time coming.
Players seem to be more inclined to take responsibilty when needed to make the right decision, i.e. have the shot and not do a stupid pass, at the same time recognising that its a team sport and the team wins and loses and passing to someone in a better position can improve the team.
Is this all the coaches doing? I dont know but if it is I am happy to give him the kudos. He’s the man in charge.
Does it have anything to do with the fact that half the senior players are out? Maybe it does. Maybe the younger players are easier to mould.
Does the fact that we are now playing a lot better now give Worsefold a pass for the year? No. It gives him a pass for now.
If we turn up next week at the gold coast and serve up the putrid drivel we were at the start of the year then once again its all bets off.
The coach for me is still a week by week proposition. If we continue to play the way we are and continue to show the improvement we have in the past four-five weeks then I’m happy very happy to back off.
But we will need to play in finals, play well in finals. I would think a finals win should be the standard, however for me its more about the way we play. And if we go into a final and play like we have in the past two weeks and get beaten by a better team then the lack of a win should not be the defining determinant on the coaches career.
Likewise, neither should our ability to hit our straps and win a few games in the middle of the season with dash and flair be the performances that gets the coach over the line for next season.
If we continue the way we are, and play good consistent footy week in and week out then I’m happy to say I was wrong about the coach.
Until that happens I am still in the wait and see camp.

(And I just put $20 on us at 17 for the flag, in case I’m completely wrong about him.)

2 Likes

A Premiership should help judge our training loads.

You’re mean

1 Like

You just can’t buy those genes…

Super coach. In Woosha we trust.