Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

It feels like we’re going to win most of the games left. If we do that and beat the Pies in round 23 the expectation for a finals win is going to be massive. I’m still an undecided observer and will be even then. It really does look like we have made some kind of leap but it’s a pretty even game these days before the teams get on the park. The best thing of all is our list depth. That is definitely different to what it has been over a long period.

1 Like

Woosha has sent half of blitz to the shops for a battered sav

11 Likes

I would go as far as saying Woosha moving himself to the bench (almost as importantly as Myers moving himself to the VFL) has been an act of genius! Bear with me for a moment - he spoke earlier in the season about the problem that players didn’t seem to be getting the message, so he goes down to the bench to communicate face-to-face. He improves the communication! Genius!

Secondly - he has said in the past that he doesn’t swing the big moves - the players have that responsibility - so he doesn’t need to be up in the box watching the game from the bird’s eye perspective - he sets up the systems and trusts in them and the players on game day. The only problem is that he doesn’t get to see everything going on during the game - solution - fill the box up with good footy people who can make those observations and report back to him. Genius!

3 Likes

As long as the club does and there are role descriptions, kpi’s and reviews that is ok! Even excellent

So we are a very fast, line breaking, take the game on, team. Is it fair to say this is the Matthew Knights team but with defence?

discuss

This is so far away from anything M Knights was trying to do that you need to take some time out to reflect, then apologise.

You mean if we hit September having won 9 in a row?

Yeah, I reckon there would be some expectations floating about in that scenario.

1 Like

Except we have more than 1 good inside mid, they all tackle and defend - and can kick. And we have useful tall forwards who we occasionally hit with our entries. And we pick a few actually defensive defenders. And instead of 13 superfast outside back flankers we have 2.

In short, there’s very, very few similarities.

Come on, I was being mischievous.

The depth of this side (as HAP points out) is way beyond Knights’.

2 Likes

Imagine what knights would’ve achieved with this list.

4 Likes

Damien Barrett likes us…

The Dons just keep on delivering

No one has played a better half of football in 2019 than Zach Merrett on Friday night.

FANTASY FORM WATCH Is there a new Pig in the pen?

The Bomber midfielder was inspirational in leading Essendon to another gutsy win, its sixth from the past seven, against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

AFL :heavy_check_mark: @AFL

The pick-up. The run. The punt from 60m.

Zach Merrett! #AFLCrowsDons

Embedded video

10:25 PM - Jul 19, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

69 people are talking about this

This columnist asked as many questions as anyone when the Bombers slumped to 4-6, and could not be more impressed with how coach John Worsfold has managed to keep calm, be prepared to swing in-game changes and, despite dealing with big injuries to big name players, keep alive his team’s season.

Gold Coast, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and Fremantle are up next for Essendon. No match is a given in 2019, but of the teams vying for finals places, none has a better next quartet of match-ups.

Twitter: @barrettdamian

IF
Damian Barrett is now on the Bombers bandwagon
THEN
he probably owes John Worsfold an apology.

21 Likes

Oh no - he has started doing the caro referring
To himself as this ‘columnist’.

2 Likes

Not Zaka!:grimacing:

This Blitzer thinks that’s stupid.

6 Likes

It’s far, far, far more than just depth.

Although it’s part of it - we had real struggles attracting experienced players under Knights.

The gameplan is focussed on fighting and competing for every ball, and developing and rotating a strong group of on ballers. It’s a very, very big shift from Knights’ gameplan.

Half of them shipped off to other clubs?

He’s still a cnt

21 Likes

As I said, it has the defence. It’s a very exiting brand of footy, combining genuine speed with a strong defensive mindset.

And the other thing about Worsfold and Knights is that Woosha has the players whereas Knights lost them.

2 Likes