Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

Reading that, a quote that gets thrown around in management text books comes to mind. This’ll be paraphrasing at best, but it goes something like “Start by building a team and then figure out what to do with them”. That’s essentially what the article reads like to me. This year we have the 4th best list on paper, from that you develop a game plan/style that’s suitable for the cattle and the competition. That’s hard to do when you can’t keep cattle on the oval. If that’s the case it could also argued that he’s “refining it in the field” which is also a statement that gets thrown around a bit. It might also go some way to explaining why he feels that previous seasons are not worth evaluating, because we didn’t have the team to develop the game plan/style.

Again, let me caveat my own post with my fav quote being “the things you don’t understand you can make mean anything”.

2 Likes

I accepted a long time ago that the chance of them or any saga player holding the cup up is next to nil.

People thought we could win the flag post saga and thus angry that “we are accepting mediocrity”. I allways thought we had no chance and think that Woosha having a positive win/loss is actually pretty decent all things considered.

The saga players have a lot of baggage

We lost 3 draft picks at the pointy end of the draft.

We lost senior players, Ryder, Carlisle, Hibbered etc, which altered the profile of the group.

IMO people need to accept what actually happened to the club. This whole 15 years yada yada is nonsense, it completely disregards the saga.

If people want a comparison look at Leeds United, went from regular champions league participant to still not being in the premier league 20 years later.

Do a review, do a review. Has any one considered that a review might speak glowingly of Woosha, Xav and Dodorro that we have actually navigated one of the biggest shtshows in AFL history in a sort of ok position.

18 Likes

And Melksham.

Once blame has been laid upon Woosh, Harvs, Skippy, Crow, Myers, Zaka, Bags, Turk leaving, Tanner, X, the new board, the old board, the person that designed the width of the sash, the Hird/Lloyd/Lucas era it was probably only a matter of time before it was the supporters fault.

5 Likes

I don’t know what pen or type of paper were used but we do not have the 4th best list.

2 Likes

It was a typo, we have the fourth best list made of paper.

7 Likes

I laughed unreasonably loud at this.

1 Like

https://makezine.com/2016/03/21/6-common-types-paper-use-crafts-prototyping/

Could be onto something.
Construction paper: Soft, rough, and often brightly colored, it’s not as stiff as cardstock but still good for kids’ pop-up cards and other 3D crafts. The best paper for little hands to practice scissor skills.

Skipworth can stay because he was one of Jake’s reasons for coming to essendon

3 Likes

This, and @SCarey made a very post about who we have recruited in the last four years and how 2/3 of them are our best 22 now:

Talent can only take us so far, it takes time. Look at Hawthorn, they peaked too early in 2008 and their dynasty officially started in 2013, 5 years after their 2008 premiership.

We overrated our list massively in 2017 when we limped into the finals. In 2018, we had the SSS playing for the first time but our midfield still sucked. This year, we had a bad start and we are still on track for finals despite the injuries. Geelong and Brisbane have the latest amount of injuries and they are first and second. It ain’t an excuse, just a reality of the nature of our sport.

This is why, just one finals win is the pass mark, however, with the injuries, we should accept if we don’t get a finals win. It’s the reality, not because of Xavier is not doing his job or Jackets ■■■■■■ up the list, it’s ■■■■■■ footy.

I believe our premiership window starts next year and top 2 should be the pass mark in 2021 or 2022 when the majority of our best 22 have played at least 100 games.

7 Likes

Yep, I don’t know why people keep thinking this.

I don’t need to look at stats to know that when we come up against the best midfields in the game, we get comfortably beaten. If we don’t have a top 4 midfield then we don’t have a top 4 list.

GWS, Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond, WC and Bulldogs have made our midfield look second rate this year.

2 Likes

No place for objective reasoned analysis in here

Needs more irrational over emotional ranting

2 Likes

JW can stay now that Caracella is coming.

1 Like

All I can get from that is he’s doing a good job, it all takes time etc etc. No mention of bring complete unprepared two season in a row.
People think he’s good because he says what he’s going to do.
However I’ve not seen any evidence that he’s actually done anything.

2 Likes

I thought that was Turk and Crow’s fault. Nah, you’re right, it’s Woosha and everyone’s fault.

2 Likes

I keep forgetting that, my bad.

1 Like

My test for this type of thing is how many of our players:

• Are at the pointy end of the Brownlow/coaches votes
  • Get nominated for All-Australian
  • Are included in media lists of best top 50 players etc

There have been very few in the past few years.

1 Like

Miss the “what if” part there superstar

No way known they are winning a flag at EFC. We are miles away.

It actually the clubs fault. Someone needs to take responsibility. I couldnt care less who it is, but if Hirdy as coach was responsible for the supplements saga then I’m sure Worsefold as coach can be responsible for onfield performance.
Or lack thereof.

2 Likes