Working full-time, studying (law) part-time

I am studying a Master's part time, work .82 FTE, have 2 kids under 5 and support our club.

I eat a lot of chocolate as a result.

But seriously- apply for any study leave available at work. I get 2 hours a week which covers lectures. And I get leave for exam time. Even without completung the Master’s, the fact i am studying has opened a number of doors and been looked upon favourably.

Good luck!

I’m hoping to do a masters sometime in future. I wasn’t aware about study leave so good to hear. Was thinking I will do part-time for two years as I should be able to do less subjects as I’m in a relevant field. I have seen the cost is pretty full on though…
If I may ask Heffs, have you done any summer subjects?

Negative about summer subjects as they don’t offer it for my course. I definitely would have to complete the course quicker.

Thanks for all the advice. It’s really useful. I’m only in my second week and as mentioned, I’m adapting to the time commitment side. I have a new appreciation for those that study part-time and have family responsibilities (kids etc). It’s really admirable. Best luck to you in your studies, I hope your hard work pays off.

All the best with your studies. Can you get work with your current organization as a lawyer? Because the market for grad (and otherwise) lawyers is really really ■■■■!

Thanks mate. I could move into a legal advisory role - we have a legal department so I could do my PLT at my current workplace. But yeah, I’ve heard the market is pretty bad and competitive. I’d be hopeful that my practical experience in various state and federal courts and tribunals would assist me in getting a role.

I'm in my twelfth and final semester as of this week. 6th and final year.

My advice: Don’t do it unless you both REALLY want to/are interested in it AND will be using it either integrally as a career or as your career (really only if you wanna practice law).

I am finishing my degree and at no stage during my degree were either of those true for me. It’s not like it’s going to be worth nothing but it was 6 years, $55,000ish and a fair bit of effort that could probably have been utilised more efficiently.

But hey, there was a couple of pages on the Sorry Saga thread - the biggest thread on the single biggest single-team fan-forum in the country - discussing me, my degree and my career aspirations so that was a pretty big plus.

Thanks for this advice. Did you work full-time as well?

You’re absolutely right about doing it for the right reasons. It’s probably something that I’ve asked myself for around 18 months. I have always had an interest in it but other (life) factors took over and I never started earlier. I’ve tried to consider the utility of a law degree - ideally, I want to move into workplace law so for me to do that - I need to consider a law degree. I’m currently in that field, obviously not operating as a lawyer, and I really really enjoy it. I’ve tried to go for roles in that area but I get knocked back “at the qualification point”. If I had undergraduate experience in another discipline, I could consider the Masters in Labour Relations but I don’t have undergraduate experience so my only option is the law degree. Corporate law (wanky, I know) is another area of interest. I don’t necessarily want to work for a big fark off firm either - I’m happy doing in-house legal, somewhere, somehow.

Overall, a law degree provides me a fair few options, that doesn’t necessarily equate to litigating full-time. All that said, I still haven’t decided one way or another whether I want to do the LLB, for basically the questions that you’ve outlined. The decision has to be useful to what I want to do long-term but I think that’ll come at completion of this subject.

Best of luck with the end of your studies. It must be a great feeling knowing that you’re finished soon. Are you hoping to move into a graduate program?

All this to make your mother let you get a kitten?

Ha! All this so I can trademark that particular period and sue all those that use it in vain.

There are certain events that mark your history, and the kitten is what a lot of us old-timers will remember.

There are certain events that mark your history, and the kitten is what a lot of us old-timers will remember.

Haha yes, I’ve noticed that. Nothing wears thin on the old-timers.

Where do you plan to study? Law is (unfortunately) one of those professions where the institution that you studied at still matters (at least if you want to move into a big corporate/ big 4 firm).

Where do you plan to study? Law is (unfortunately) one of those professions where the institution that you studied at still matters (at least if you want to move into a big corporate/ big 4 firm).

At VU. I would have loved to study at Monash or Melbourne Uni but I don’t have undergraduate experience and I would have to do an Arts degree and then transfer into law, which I am not very keen on doing. I do know about the unfortunate perception though. VU offer mature-age entry without undergraduate experience and the others don’t offer that. In the future, I could apply to transfer (after doing a FT equivalent uni load) into Monash or Melbourne Uni but I’m undecided whether it’d be worth it. I did consider the limitations around completing the LLB at VU vs Monash/Melbourne Uni, but I just can’t see myself doing an Arts degree and I suppose VU is a little bit of a trade off for not having to do any other discipline prior to the LLB.

At VU. I would have loved to study at Monash or Melbourne Uni but I don’t have undergraduate experience and I would have to do an Arts degree and then transfer into law, which I am not very keen on doing. I do know about the unfortunate perception though. VU offer mature-age entry without undergraduate experience and the others don’t offer that. In the future, I could apply to transfer (after doing a FT equivalent uni load) into Monash or Melbourne Uni but I’m undecided whether it’d be worth it. I did consider the limitations around completing the LLB at VU vs Monash/Melbourne Uni, but I just can’t see myself doing an Arts degree and I suppose VU is a little bit of a trade off for not having to do any other discipline prior to the LLB.

There’s nothing at all wrong with studying at VU, unless you’re planning to head to a Big 4 or a bank or something similar. But you seem like you have a conscience so I assume that isn’t your intention regardless!

FYI, my firm has hired a number of grads from VU the past 5 or so years.

There’s nothing at all wrong with studying at VU, unless you’re planning to head to a Big 4 or a bank or something similar. But you seem like you have a conscience so I assume that isn’t your intention regardless!

FYI, my firm has hired a number of grads from VU the past 5 or so years.

Haha yeah, it’s definitely not my intention. I don’t think I could handle the archaic and unconscionable politics. I would probably like to stay within the public sector.

That’s really good to know. There are a few people at my work that completed their studies at VU. We were discussing the big 4 and we all agree that doing law at VU is an act of defiance against the big 4 .

Thanks for all the advice. It's really useful. I'm only in my second week and as mentioned, I'm adapting to the time commitment side. I have a new appreciation for those that study part-time and have family responsibilities (kids etc). It's really admirable. Best luck to you in your studies, I hope your hard work pays off.
All the best with your studies. Can you get work with your current organization as a lawyer? Because the market for grad (and otherwise) lawyers is really really ■■■■!

Thanks mate. I could move into a legal advisory role - we have a legal department so I could do my PLT at my current workplace. But yeah, I’ve heard the market is pretty bad and competitive. I’d be hopeful that my practical experience in various state and federal courts and tribunals would assist me in getting a role.

My advice: Don’t do it unless you both REALLY want to/are interested in it AND will be using it either integrally as a career or as your career (really only if you wanna practice law).

I am finishing my degree and at no stage during my degree were either of those true for me. It’s not like it’s going to be worth nothing but it was 6 years, $55,000ish and a fair bit of effort that could probably have been utilised more efficiently.

But hey, there was a couple of pages on the Sorry Saga thread - the biggest thread on the single biggest single-team fan-forum in the country - discussing me, my degree and my career aspirations so that was a pretty big plus.

You’re absolutely right about doing it for the right reasons. It’s probably something that I’ve asked myself for around 18 months. I have always had an interest in it but other (life) factors took over and I never started earlier. I’ve tried to consider the utility of a law degree - ideally, I want to move into workplace law so for me to do that - I need to consider a law degree. I’m currently in that field, obviously not operating as a lawyer, and I really really enjoy it. I’ve tried to go for roles in that area but I get knocked back “at the qualification point”. If I had undergraduate experience in another discipline, I could consider the Masters in Labour Relations but I don’t have undergraduate experience so my only option is the law degree. Corporate law (wanky, I know) is another area of interest. I don’t necessarily want to work for a big fark off firm either - I’m happy doing in-house legal, somewhere, somehow.

Overall, a law degree provides me a fair few options, that doesn’t necessarily equate to litigating full-time. All that said, I still haven’t decided one way or another whether I want to do the LLB, for basically the questions that you’ve outlined. The decision has to be useful to what I want to do long-term but I think that’ll come at completion of this subject.

Best of luck with the end of your studies. It must be a great feeling knowing that you’re finished soon. Are you hoping to move into a graduate program?

Ha! All this so I can trademark that particular period and sue all those that use it in vain.

Nothing (necessarily) ■■■■■ about corporate law IMO.

I am going to take a bit of time off when I graduate - I’m a bit burnt out. Wouldn’t mind going into consulting, corporate law (M&A) would be OK but not hugely appealing.

I only work part time through Uni, I’m at home so I don’t have that many expenses.

Thanks for all the advice. It's really useful. I'm only in my second week and as mentioned, I'm adapting to the time commitment side. I have a new appreciation for those that study part-time and have family responsibilities (kids etc). It's really admirable. Best luck to you in your studies, I hope your hard work pays off.

Nothing (necessarily) ■■■■■ about corporate law IMO.

I am going to take a bit of time off when I graduate - I’m a bit burnt out. Wouldn’t mind going into consulting, corporate law (M&A) would be OK but not hugely appealing.

I only work part time through Uni, I’m at home so I don’t have that many expenses.

Yeah very true, some think it’s ■■■■■ or it’s not leftist. I really enjoy employment law and would love to stay within that. I am unsure if I’m keen to work for a big firm, but I may not have that luxury because I am pretty certain that I would need to complete my degree at VU and as SMJ said, it’s unlikely a big firm would hire someone that hasn’t completed their degree at Monash etc.

Sounds like a good plan. The good thing is - you are finished (or almost) and it gives you a fair few options when you decide to find a job.

I just bought a house with the girlfriend, but thankfully my parents and girlfriend are super supportive of me studying so it’s made the process a lot easier even though I have commitments now. I am 6 weeks into this subject, enjoying the content but the readings are unbelievable. Coupled with working full-time, it can get difficult to manage. I don’t think I’ve read so much in my life. And the referencing. The referencing sucks.