Working full-time, studying (law) part-time

Has anyone done this? I’m currently studying a stand-alone foundations of law subject as part of my PD at work (good employer) - but I’m considering doing the LLB next year. Even though, it’ll take me a long time (approx 6-8 years) studying law part-time, I’m interested to hear any experiences juggling the both - even if it’s not law.

SB, a couple of thoughts…

Firstly the fact you have a good and understanding employer is excellent.

I currently mix part-time work and full time uni (not law however; business and commerce) and that seems to keep me pretty busy.

I reckon if you think you can manage the full-time work and part-time study, absolutely go for it. The thing being however you’d probably need to committ most of your evenings during the week be it for night classes/your own study.
There is also the added advantage of sneaking some uni-related work in during your day job if you get some down time/not as much workload etc.

It’s basically all about balance and planning your weeks; if you think you can fit it all in and manage it, then it’s definitely worth a crack. The other thing is that there might have to be the odd compromise for social activities/some weekends.

I don’t do Law but from what I have heard it is a grind; I’m sure there are others that can agree on this. It’s time consuming and a lot of reading, but normally with a great end outcome.

Best of luck!

Go for it, SB!

There are several excellent lawyers on BB who can give you great practical advice, but my advice is to get what qualifications you can. They will stand you in good stead no matter what course you later choose in life.

Yeah, look, Ive managed to do decently if unspectacularly throughout my law degree by giving each unit one full 9-5 day of commitment. If youre doing two units per semester then I reckon you might be able to squeeze it in over the weekend, with a little bit more time commitment required around assignment time.

one thing I will warn you though, as true value blitzer said. Its a complete grind. Been at Uni for 5 years studying law/ commerce, and compared to commerce, law is so samey and repetitive, its a same ■■■■ different smell sorta degree, and in my final year im so sick of it, almost to the point of loathing it outright… imo its something youd want to get done in as short amount of time as possible so you dont have time to realise how dry and repetitive it can get (unless you absolutely love law, in which case disregard what I just said).

Its not something I’d do unless your heart and soul is in it tbh, thats the main question you really need to ask yourself, because I reckon youd be able to fit it in with full time work.

Yeah, look, Ive managed to do decently if unspectacularly throughout my law degree by giving each unit one full 9-5 day of commitment. If youre doing two units per semester then I reckon you might be able to squeeze it in over the weekend, with a little bit more time commitment required around assignment time.

one thing I will warn you though, as true value blitzer said. Its a complete grind. Been at Uni for 5 years studying law/ commerce, and compared to commerce, law is so samey and repetitive, its a same ■■■■ different smell sorta degree, and in my final year im so sick of it, almost to the point of loathing it outright… imo its something youd want to get done in as short amount of time as possible so you dont have time to realise how dry and repetitive it can get (unless you absolutely love law, in which case disregard what I just said).

Its not something I’d do unless your heart and soul is in it tbh, thats the main question you really need to ask yourself, because I reckon youd be able to fit it in with full time work.

works for uni in general, don’t do it unless your hearts in a goal that uni streamlines for you. its a ■■■■■■■ slog, also try to get involved with societies (those doing uni full time) else its just a grind.

1 Like

Good luck + I hope you’ve got a supportive family. I’ve been juggling since 2014 (Enviro Science), now just over halfway, all going well I’ll finish the semester I turn 30!

You get out of it what you put in. They say “P’s get degrees” (worked for me the first time around) - nowadays, my older/wiser/more stubborn self says I will not be, or go close to, failing a subject (positive thoughts)… but all that work ends up in top marks

I try to work to a plan - found it ■■■■■■ hard to find sufficient time without one, but even harder to follow it to the letter. The week I work off is ~60hrs work, 30hrs-ish uni (15hr x 2 subjects), 30ish-hrs family/power-down/exercise/Blitz time, 50ish-hrs sleep.

At least October-March can be subject free (apart from the last 2 years where I’ve enrolled in a summer subject + this year - half the semester load, brings me an inch closer to the end!),

I like iced coffee + chocolate.

My wife is awesome, and deserves her name on the (eventual) piece of paper that I earn (…and I’m less than 0% chance of getting permission for Masters lol)

You might want to discuss with your employers what value you could bring to them by a degree. If the area of study would be of mutual benefit, you could angle for study leave for peak periods, such as assignments/exams. The Public Service grants specified periods of study leave, depending on the course. Overall, time management is the key, well worth it for the doors opened for career options. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, as long as you enjoy the discipline you are studying.

Good luck + I hope you've got a supportive family. I've been juggling since 2014 (Enviro Science), now just over halfway, all going well I'll finish the semester I turn 30!

You get out of it what you put in. They say “P’s get degrees” (worked for me the first time around) - nowadays, my older/wiser/more stubborn self says I will not be, or go close to, failing a subject (positive thoughts)… but all that work ends up in top marks

I try to work to a plan - found it ■■■■■■ hard to find sufficient time without one, but even harder to follow it to the letter. The week I work off is ~60hrs work, 30hrs-ish uni (15hr x 2 subjects), 30ish-hrs family/power-down/exercise/Blitz time, 50ish-hrs sleep.

At least October-March can be subject free (apart from the last 2 years where I’ve enrolled in a summer subject + this year - half the semester load, brings me an inch closer to the end!),

I like iced coffee + chocolate.

My wife is awesome, and deserves her name on the (eventual) piece of paper that I earn (…and I’m less than 0% chance of getting permission for Masters lol)

I did environmental health full time, four days a week work, had a baby 2 months prem and supported this football club.
Don’t know which was more stressful.

lol, just saw the name change actually happened.

Guess you’re not the same old thing you used to be …

Thanks everyone for the advice - all sound advice! I appreciate it, I’ll definitely take it on board.

I am lucky that my employer is really supportive and encouraging when it comes to professional development. Their view is that it’ll benefit me. I work in the public service and we get a pretty generous studies assistance program, that will be available to me, if I elect to do the LLB next year. The same can be said about my family and girlfriend. They’re incredibly supportive and encouraging.

I have wanted to do a law degree for a long time and working within employment law has only amplified that desire but the reluctance has always been around the commitment side. It’s a long, grinding degree combined with working full time which won’t change in the short term (mortgage etc) That said, recently, I think I’ve accepted the length of the degree and finishing it over 6 years (ideally) or 8 years (worst case), sits comfortably with me. The key message from everyone’s advice here seems to be - time management. I’ve only been doing this subject for just over a week and that’s the aspect that I am struggling with (already) and noticing a lot - juggling work, studies and retaining some social life at the same time. I don’t want to cut out too much for FOMO, compromise yes but changing up too much - not keen. There is so much reading but this would be true across many degrees, I imagine? I think as I can go through this subject and semester, my time management will evolve.

If I did take up the LLB next year, I would do it pretty slowly, initially anyway. For the first year and possibly the second, I would only do one subject a semester but maybe incorporate winter and summer school and then look to increase my load once I am confident in managing it. It’s also a whole new world out there - I’ve not done any teritiary studies before - I finished high school and have worked for the last 9 years so this is a totally new experience for me. But so far, it seems interesting - just need to get the time management stuff down pat.

Thanks again for the insights - it seems study and full-time is possible, in a relatively unscathing fashion! So that’s good. I’ll keep you posted with how I go and whether I survive and take up the LLB next year.

I worked full time, with 2 kids, wife etc and did a MBA part time (2 nights a week), like you I was lucky to have a supportive employer who allowed me time during the working week to take the phone off the hook, close the office door and devote time to study. It definitely puts extra stress on family but if they are supportive and keep in mind its only a few years you should be OK, I didnt take extra summer classes to speed up the process so I could make up for all the time I didnt spend with them during summer.

Good luck.

lol, just saw the name change actually happened.

Guess you’re not the same old thing you used to be …

I would officially like to change

All this to make your mother let you get a kitten?

He’s going to sue the Hell out of you once he gets that degree.

I am studying a Master’s part time, work .82 FTE, have 2 kids under 5 and support our club.

I eat a lot of chocolate as a result.

But seriously- apply for any study leave available at work. I get 2 hours a week which covers lectures. And I get leave for exam time. Even without completung the Master’s, the fact i am studying has opened a number of doors and been looked upon favourably.

Good luck!

All the best with your studies. Can you get work with your current organization as a lawyer?
Because the market for grad (and otherwise) lawyers is really really ■■■■!

I am studying a Master's part time, work .82 FTE, have 2 kids under 5 and support our club.

I eat a lot of chocolate as a result.

But seriously- apply for any study leave available at work. I get 2 hours a week which covers lectures. And I get leave for exam time. Even without completung the Master’s, the fact i am studying has opened a number of doors and been looked upon favourably.

Good luck!

I’m hoping to do a masters sometime in future. I wasn’t aware about study leave so good to hear. Was thinking I will do part-time for two years as I should be able to do less subjects as I’m in a relevant field. I have seen the cost is pretty full on though…
If I may ask Heffs, have you done any summer subjects?

I did law (a few years ago now) and was working 20 hours a week at the same time. It’s definitely doable because unless it’s changed a lot, there’s not anywhere near as many contact hours as other degrees. My university scrapped tutes and had 3 hours of lectures per subject per week.

There is a fair bit of reading material for each subject but I found myself doing less but being more discerning about what and how much I read and performing better as the course went on (which is, after all, a key legal skill).

Best of luck.

I’m in my twelfth and final semester as of this week. 6th and final year.

My advice: Don’t do it unless you both REALLY want to/are interested in it AND will be using it either integrally as a career or as your career (really only if you wanna practice law).

I am finishing my degree and at no stage during my degree were either of those true for me. It’s not like it’s going to be worth nothing but it was 6 years, $55,000ish and a fair bit of effort that could probably have been utilised more efficiently.

But hey, there was a couple of pages on the Sorry Saga thread - the biggest thread on the single biggest single-team fan-forum in the country - discussing me, my degree and my career aspirations so that was a pretty big plus.

Andy Warhol was right.