World Cup Thread 2018

What does it have to do with my post?

Mexico a minnow?
They are a top 15 ranked nation who have performed well at previous WC’s.

2 Likes

Mexico’s pace was awesome to watch. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up their form.

No, they’re not, but every WC there’s one or two teams that basically come from the clouds.

Eg the supposed easybeats Costa Rica topping a group with 3 of the world’s top 10. Spain (top ranked team in the world) beaten & knocked out by fkg Chile.

If it were just the top whatever ranked teams playing, it’d be trash.

1 Like

Germany has to tidy up their defence - hard to remember a game when there defence was opened up so much - Every team in this WC would have scored against Germany.

Best Goal of the Cup so far??

Either Ronaldos ultra bend free, or last nights belter from Cortinhou for mine. Can’t split them.

I think the key to progressing was always going to beat whoever won the Denmark/Peru game. I think we’re in a good position to progress if we beat Denmark, but we must beat Denmark. By my calculations it may be even better if Peru/France draw as it means France have to play it out in the last game and not get lazy.

If we win, and even if France/Peru draw, before the last game:
France on 4 points
Australia on 3 points
Denmark on 3 points
Peru on 1 point

Even if France draw with Peru, means France can’t canter it in and give Denmark a free point in the last round.

So ideally in the last game, France beats Denmark, we draw (maybe win) meaning:
France on 6 points
Australia on 4 points
Denmark on 3 points
Peru on 2 points

ALL HAIL SBS!!!

12 Likes

In Parliament question time on Monday, Mr Shorten quoted SBS Managing Director Michael Ebeid as saying that “had we not had to look at our budgets, we probably would have retained [all Word Cup rights]” before demanding Mr Turnbull “apologise… for his cuts to the SBS”.

Farken Liberals, … :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

If points are even, I think it goes goal difference then goals for?
In which case a 1-2 result against the likely group winner is not too bad.

Odds on France will open up one game, at least.

1 Like

GD
Goals For
Goals against
Fewest Reds
Fewest Yellows
Coin Toss

I think…

1 Like

This Optus stuff makes me feel better I couldn’t keep blitz up during the sorry saga. No amount of money makes server load balancing a simple task.

12 Likes

Yep

So if we draw with Denmark and beat Peru handily, we’ll have a positive GD.

How was your hot chip supply?

1 Like

4 Likes

100% correct with your post - Server limits/resource limits will always be an issue affecting streaming.

I reckon we had world cup numbers too.

4 Likes

Mexico’s World Cup Goal Caused Man-Made Earthquake

Chas Danner

June 17, 2018 06/17/2018 6:44 pm

Mexico’s stunning upset win over Germany in the World Cup on Sunday may have shocked more than soccer fans. At the same time El Tri forward Hirving Lozano scored Mexico’s winning goal at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, at least two seismic sensors detected a minor earthquake in Mexico City, according to a monitoring agency run by Mexico’s Institute of Geological and Atmospheric Research:

SIMMSA theorized that the artificial quake was caused by all the fans in the city jumping up and down in celebration of the goal, and later noted that a similar reading was detected in Lima following a goal by Peru’s team in World Cup qualifier in last November.

Mexico’s fans had every reason to be excited, as the team didn’t just soundly defeat Germany — the reigning World Cup champion — for the first time ever in the tournament, but did so as a +600 underdog in the match. That makes their win on Sunday the biggest upset of the tournament thus far (and a big money-maker for anybody who gambled on them). And Mexico fans are hoping El Tri can build on the victory to ultimately overcome a streak of six consecutive round-0f-16 exits at the tournament.

“It’s definitely the best goal I’ve ever scored in my entire life,” Lozano said after the game — and Mexico City’s bedrock surely agrees.

5 Likes

That is pretty incredible when you think about it.

4 Likes

if they win the world cup they might bring down the whole country

1 Like