Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

So no one actually knows what we were trying to do yet still they believe they could've done better.

Typical.

Dodoro was asked if Pick 1 was on the table and responded no offers had been made. I would’ve preferred he be out there shopping it aggressively.

Fire sale!!! Fire sale!!! Get your pick 1 here!!!

I think you’ll find he just really really wanted to keep it, and why not. Some kid is going to be the best kid in the draft. Yep, it is unlikely to be the kid we pick, because he is one kid against all the other kids that get drafted this year. But hey, if you’re a recruiter, why not back yourself in and get the kid you think is going to be the best.

… because you could back yourself in and get the two kids you think are going to be the best?

I hate to be all Debbie Downer, but I think this is a huge opportunity missed.

And make an ■■■ of yourself by assuming the best players will still be there.

So glad we didn’t but made them think they were a chance.

Just look at our list. Now we have Stewart, we only need one more new face — a midfielder. Whoever Jackets & co have decided on, it doesn't matter which pick we use to get him, as long as no one else gets in first. There's only one cast-iron copper-bottomed guaranteed pick and that's the #1 pick. No point in trading it off for a couple of lesser picks: we don't need them, and we might lose the one we want, whichever he is.

Take McLuggage or McGrath with #1. Pick up the other one with #20 if he’s still available. If he’s not, so what ? We only need one of them anyway.

We only need one? We’re no guarantee to make the eight next year.

So no one actually knows what we were trying to do yet still they believe they could've done better.

Typical.

Dodoro was asked if Pick 1 was on the table and responded no offers had been made. I would’ve preferred he be out there shopping it aggressively.

I think you’ll find he just really really wanted to keep it, and why not. Some kid is going to be the best kid in the draft. Yep, it is unlikely to be the kid we pick, because he is one kid against all the other kids that get drafted this year. But hey, if you’re a recruiter, why not back yourself in and get the kid you think is going to be the best.

… because you could back yourself in and get the two kids you think are going to be the best?

As opposed to them still being there at #29? That deal replaces #29 in our calculations with #16. And #1 with #3. Unless we don’t think there are 3 top flight players in the draft?
Just look at our list. Now we have Stewart, we only need one more new face — a midfielder. Whoever Jackets & co have decided on, it doesn't matter which pick we use to get him, as long as no one else gets in first. There's only one cast-iron copper-bottomed guaranteed pick and that's the #1 pick. No point in trading it off for a couple of lesser picks: we don't need them, and we might lose the one we want, whichever he is.

Take McLuggage or McGrath with #1. Pick up the other one with #20 if he’s still available. If he’s not, so what ? We only need one of them anyway.

We only need one? We’re no guarantee to make the eight next year.

So what if we only miss the eight because the likes of Pick 1, Tippa, Franga, Parish, the Langford, Lav! and Irish needed more development, while playing most of the year.

I’d be happier with that.

Typical.

As opposed to them still being there at #29? That deal replaces #29 in our calculations with #16. And #1 with #3. Unless we don’t think there are 3 top flight players in the draft?

There’s a decent chance the best player will be gone by 3. This way we have the best chance of getting the best player as he won’t have been taken by another team.

Clearly the EFC recruiters are thinking along similar lines.

Guess we couldn’t afford to use more than three picks either. Gotta keep Kommer and Dempsey around.

I’d assume Kommer is gone. However, if we want to keep salary down and continue to use the spare senior slot on a rookie, we may delist someone so we can use a PSD pick.

We get to select who we feel is the best junior footballer in the country, how are people upset with that?

We bought in a young and talented key forward to compliment Joe and traded Hibberd for a second round pick whilst already replacing him with Dea and Kelly.

I didn’t want, nor expect us to do a lot in this trade period and I am incredibly excited about our prospects for next year already.

You aren’t going to go too wrong picking either McGrath or McCluggage despite all the: “the draft is a lottery, we should have traded pick 1 for two top ten picks” fantasy land garbage a lot of posters on here whinge about ad nauseum.

Just go to bed tonight thinking yourself lucky you aren’t a LOLingwood, Bitchmond, Norf or Carltank supporter.

I really think we screwed up here.

We’re taking picks #1, #20 and #29 into the draft, and maybe #41.
If we’d done the Brisbane deal we could have been taking #3, #16, #20, #29 instead. If we don’t plan to take four picks and use #41, then that #29 could have been Melbourne’s 2017 second rounder instead.

So could have gone with #3, #16, #20, Stewart and start 2017 with an extra 2nd round pick to help with trades.

Sorry, but this was a missed opportunity.

What? You mean the deal you assume was offered to us, but actually wasn’t available to us at all?

If we’d done the Brisbane deal we could have been taking #3, #16, #20, #29 instead. If we don’t plan to take four picks and use #41, then that #29 could have been Melbourne’s 2017 second rounder instead.

So could have gone with #3, #16, #20, Stewart and start 2017 with an extra 2nd round pick to help with trades.

What? You mean the deal you assume was offered to us, but actually wasn’t available to us at all?

Do you know why?

Do you know why?

We were too busy sitting in the box seat for Jaegar.

Essendon 2017 - Hard to deal with on and off the field.

One can hope!

Someone rang up trade radio earlier suggesting we trade 1 for 4 and 8. It was their view that We want pick 1 and won't trade it. Just their opinion but I do rate Cullum Twomey.
We want McGrath. Clearly.

I rate a frog in a sock over Twomey

Absolutely. I don’t have a specific idea on what deal should’ve been done, but there is no reason we shouldn’t have been shouting from the rooftops that pick 1 was n the market. What’s to lose? If a deal didn’t suit us then we still have Pick 1 regardless. The odds are now massively stacked against Dodoro in picking the best player in the draft.

Useless waste of an advantageous position. Kinda like how we play football

we might of been, there just might not of been anything really good being offered for it

You mean apart from the deal that WAS DONE for pick #2, that should have been perfectly acceptable for us?

I reckon with the trade period so much of what happens is to do with relationships.

Relationships between key personnel at clubs and relationships between the clubs and the AFL.

You can be rest assured the AFL was loitering around trying to get the best deals via their new company men (Fagan and Noble) and used GC to do it. Brisbane start their regeneration with a good hand.

The relationship between Bolton and Clarkson may have played a part in facilitating those rush of trades towards the end involving JOM, Marchbank etc.

The relationship between Prestia and Caddy played a massive role in convincing Caddy he wanted to move when the Cats were happy to keep him etc etc etc.

Realtionships, Treloar and Will Hoskin-Eliott

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLxKgePlTv1/?taken-by=adstreloar

Is WHE touching his front-bottom there?

Is it cold in Melbourne?
Does he share his basketball singlets with him?
Do they save on hot water and shower togethers?

Do you know why?

Nope. Sorry.

I’m way more interested in what we do with it than why we didnt/couldnt trade it.

A Setterfield bid would be fascinating.

I doubt we bid on anyone now.

We might if we actually want him.

We might if we actually want him.

Then expect no favours from GWS when we want something. Think Carlton today were paying us back for bidding on Silvagni?