WTF is wrong with some teenagers?

A predator is a predator. They don't care if someone has a right to walk alone at night in complete safety. 

If the opportunity is there, they will take it.

Don't give them that chance.

What can be confusing is that there are so many different factors/causes of rape. You have the "classic" predator lurking in the bushes with the intent of raping someone, but then in this case it seems to have started with kids looking for trouble in general and it's ended in this poor girl being raped and abused.

Then you have the footy team rapes (feral group mentality) or the rape by a significant other (domestic violence) or friend or family member, neighbour etc. Of course there's "date-rape".

The motives often differ because it can be a hate crime or a power/domination crime or it can just be that the rapist is messed up in the head or genetically as is the case for a lot of peadophiles.

So basicallly it's hard to have a generic conversation on the subject to try and "solve" the issue. Suggesting women "cover-up" or "stay at home" still doesn't guarantee their safety (not from all types of rape) and it just seems to make people angry, plus everyone has their own experiences (or lack of) with the issue which can make it very emotional (and trying to discuss it matter-of-factly makes you come off like you condone it).

Agree.  

It's a very difficult subject to debate due to the variances in the individual circumstances.

However, where possible, potential victims of any crime can use good judgement to limit the possibility of become a victim.  This isn't always possible, of course.

Those with the intent of committing an act towards another will do it regardless of limiting factors if they are determined enough.

And use any excuse, drunk, drugged, race, you name it.  Some people are ferals, and thats that.

What don't you understand in what I am saying? I said I know no one who has been raped, and you keep telling me I am not understanding and I am wrong. I mean what I say. And as for the passed out chick. Maybe in your world she gets rooted. In my world one of us puts her to bed and she wakes up in the morning with a sore head, but no hickeys. If I want to root her, I'll ask when she's not comatose. Simple.

So given the stats 1962 posted above, you think you've never met a single woman who has been raped? You don't know of any - fine, I believe that. But don't try to pretend your world is somehow better than mine just because I'm aware of some of the things that have happened to people I know and you aren't.

And FTR, I'm not part of the circles responsible for some of the stuff I've heard. Cause believe it or not, many of the women in my circle have other circles as well.

I give up. You obviously know way more about my life than I do.

We don't live in an ideal world where peoples rights are protected and respected by others. We would love it to be, but it just aint that way.  

There are "most trusted" members of society who are the worst perpetrators of rape.

Who would trust a child with a priest now a days?  No one.

If those guys, supposedly the most holy with the purest message blah blah blah cannot behave, who can? 

Never at all would I blame a victim for what happens to them, but one has to use their best possible judgement when entering dodgy circumstances.

Sometimes, to fight for what is right for oneself isn't the wisest thing to do, and the wisest thing to do can mean avoiding that very thing which is your right. 

Lol. Got up fom this thread to empty the letterbox, and bingo, on cue, a letter informing me I have been called up for jury duty!

We don't live in an ideal world where peoples rights are protected and respected by others. We would love it to be, but it just aint that way.  

There are "most trusted" members of society who are the worst perpetrators of rape.

Who would trust a child with a priest now a days?  No one.

If those guys, supposedly the most holy with the purest message blah blah blah cannot behave, who can? 

Never at all would I blame a victim for what happens to them, but one has to use their best possible judgement when entering dodgy circumstances.

Sometimes, to fight for what is right for oneself isn't the wisest thing to do, and the wisest thing to do can mean avoiding that very thing which is your right. 

Spot on.

Lol. Got up fom this thread to empty the letterbox, and bingo, on cue, a letter informing me I have been called up for jury duty!

Rubbish - you're making it up.

:P

Wish I was.

Never copped this before. What's with filling out a form ffs!

Geez, i hope for their sake that he/she doesn't barrack for Carlton

Geez, i hope for their sake that he/she doesn't barrack for Carlton

Why? If they do, they are guilty. This isn't anti-Carlton rhetoric, it's a fact.

Wish I was.

If you are in a relevant case, can you ask the judge is it ok to use this thread as guidance?

Wish I was.

If you are in a relevant case, can you ask the judge is it ok to use this thread as guidance?

I'm happy to play the role of "expert" witness. For a fee.

Wish I was.

Great idea. We could make it a poll.

Guilty

Not guilty

couldn't GAF

Darren Bewick.

I know a few women who have been victims of sexual assault, it wasn't until I started really thinking about it that the stories came flooding back. I guess it's horrible to think about so you supress it.

1) I knew a girl who had been molested by one of her teachers (in primary school) over a period of time. Her parents found out and the teacher was moved to another school. This chick carried around some serious baggage as a result.

2) Another girl told me when she was little she strayed off from her parents at the beach one day and a man molested her. It wasn't until years later that she recalled what had happened and realised what it was. At the time she just thought she was playing silly games with him. She had some serious baggage too.

3) Another girl told me a guy we both knew in her circle of friends had date-raped her while she was drunk a year previously. I remember being furious but she said she felt the lines were a bit blurred because she'd had sex with him before, but that on this occassion (at a party) she didn't want it to go that far and said no, stop, but he kept going. She had since talked to him about it and he had sincerely apologised and she had forgiven him and she didn't want him to get in trouble. In this case she didn't have any issues, she didn't feel like a victim at all.

4) Another girl in my circle of friends went out clubbing and was pretty drunk and for some reason went off by herself near the Shrine off St Kilda Road at like 2am and some guy crash tackled her and tried to rape her but she got away. She reported it to the police but they never caught the guy. It really freaked her out though and she stopped going out and started going to church, now listens to gospel music...

5) Another girl I know was in a seriously abusive relationship. Rape was just a part of it. He'd force her to take drugs, burn her with cigarettes, bash her if she didn't shoplift stuff for him to fund his ice habit. She's since developed PTSD. He's left the country (gone back to eastern europe) and won't be coming back - he's wanted for heaps of other stuff, plus he's already done a fair bit of 'time' and is known to police.

So yeah, it's not always clear cut, the circumstances can vary and the reaction of the victim varies too.

And apart from #4, I guess I only know all of these stories because I was either in a relationship with the girls above or I knew them very well, and they only shared their stories with me because I could be trusted. My point is that until they told me I had no idea whatsoever, and so now I'm not surprised to hear that most girls have a story of 'something' happening, that was either unreported and/or only known to a select few.

Wannabe - on number 3, it reminds me of one story a girl shared with me of a step-cousin when she was younger. It was appalling, and all the more so because the Brady Bunch family just went into denial and pretended it all never happened. She told me and I felt anger straight away and asked if she wanted me and some friends to sort the guy out, thinking of myself as a knight in shining armour.

She asked "who would that help - me or you?"

The way I felt when she asked me that question... It was a slap in the face, but also an epiphany. That's why I'm a bit passionate about this issue now, and specifically the way people talk about it.

Good post wannabe.

Sort of don't "like" it, but it contains a lot of pertinent facts.

Not that this makes what happend ok or make it the girls fault BUT what was a 14 year old girl doing walking around in the middle of the night in a well know dodgy area?

I don't get why woman in general still walk around at night, esp when having been drinking. Even Esp more since the jill meagher case.

lol

I love how the reaction to these things is to remind women that they should be trying to make sure someone other than themselves gets raped tonight.

A younger friend I knew was recently interviewed by police because he was hanging out with a 13 year old (he is 18 and they both go to the same high school). She left a note with her mum that said she was going to school to play basketball (she is 5'10" btw) with a few of the seniors so her mother knew exactly where she was. The mother 'freaks out' and calls the police, but the girls brother could contact her by mobile (who knows why the mother didn't call her first) and picked her up but still my friend had to go through serious questions by police. There was no apology from the parties involved and it was not a pleasant experience for my friend at all (not to mention going to school the next day).

Not saying the rape in this case is justified here but i'm more drawing attention to the fine line between "protecting parents" and letting your children learn from living. I would say in the above example her daughter would have been better off saying she was going to a girl friends house instead of telling the truth which is completely ridiculous. 

Both male and females at school should be taught the dangers of night life and perhaps finding better ways to get home. Dark spots, quiet parks can't be as good as walking on lit streets with traffic. Might take longer but safety awareness before short cuts.

Not sure about previous or current younger generations but my group of friends always walked a girl home. Always.

Not that this makes what happend ok or make it the girls fault BUT what was a 14 year old girl doing walking around in the middle of the night in a well know dodgy area?

I don't get why woman in general still walk around at night, esp when having been drinking. Even Esp more since the jill meagher case.
lol
I love how the reaction to these things is to remind women that they should be trying to make sure someone other than themselves gets raped tonight.
Is this post meant to have a point?
Saying something which doesn't fix the root cause (and doesn't aim to), but might still help one person avoid one crime/dangerous situation is hardly the end of the world.

With regards to your friend, it's a shame that he got dragged through the mud, but I guess they have to go through the process and he needs to be aware that as an adult he needs to act responsibly around minors. Even being alone together is a recipe for trouble, unfortunately.

It's also a reminder that we need to respect the process of court cases and investigations, just because someone is being questioned, or even if charges have been laid, it doesn't mean they are guilty.

With regards to your friend, it's a shame that he got dragged through the mud, but I guess they have to go through the process and he needs to be aware that as an adult he needs to act responsibly around minors. Even being alone together is a recipe for trouble, unfortunately.

It's also a reminder that we need to respect the process of court cases and investigations, just because someone is being questioned, or even if charges have been laid, it doesn't mean they are guilty.

Act responsibly around minors? What else could he do? Bring along a working with children card? They go to the same school.