WTF is wrong with some teenagers?

Right, only the coloureds rape. Glad we cleared that one up.

I don't personally know of any girl who has been raped by an "import". Know plenty who have been by good ol' local boys though.

1. That's not what he said

2. You must move in interesting circles.

1. Duh, but it was still a stupid comment.

2. No, I really don't. Rape is far more common than many would want to believe.

I don't personally know of any girl who has been raped by an "import". Know plenty who have been by good ol' local boys though.

hang on, he knows 'plenty' of women who have been raped?

fark, interesting circles indeed

First of all, women know that they have to take extra care when walking alone, especially at night. It's drummed into us from a young age. We know. And it's not helpful to point out again and again at this point.

Secondly, I think comparing this to "swimming in a NT waterhole and not expecting crocodiles to attack you" is kind of gross. Swimming in a waterhole is not really an everyday necessity. Sometimes, for various reasons, I might have no choice but to walk around at night on my own. That's a pretty standard behaviour that a lot of men (not all) don't even think twice about, but every woman has to act like a potential rape victim and change their behaviour because someone might choose to violate their body and rape them.

I've always said that instead of women having to change their behaviour, every night at sundown, we should lock up the main perpetrators of rape i.e. men. Instead of women having to act like potential rape victims, let's just assume you're all potential rapists and you can be the ones having to change your behaviour for a while.

Brave, astute and commendable.
We need more posters of your calibre!

So do you, you're just too ignorant to know it.

And my "interesting circles". I'm white collar. All the victims I know of are university educated, intelligent girls.

Rape is not just something that happens in dark parks by gangs of "imports".

The ignorance of you lot really does sadden me. Instead of telling girls not to go out at night you should be a it more aware of reality.

So do you, you're just too ignorant to know it.

And my "interesting circles". I'm white collar. All the victims I know of are university educated, intelligent girls.

Rape is not just something that happens in dark parks by gangs of "imports".

The ignorance of you lot really does sadden me. Instead of telling girls not to go out at night you should be a it more aware of reality.

No, I am not too ignorant to know it.

I know literally no one who has been raped. And I never have known anyone who has been raped.

Don't be sad for me - I obviously live/have lived, in a far nicer world than you.

Its not about locking girls up because it unsafe to go out.

Its about protecting yourself.

This isn't just an issue for the fairer sex and rape.

I can't go out in city at anytime after midnight without eyes in the back of my head in fear of some clown loaded up on hero sauce and watching to much UFC decides to clobber me.

I always have at least 3 mates with me.

I'm really surprised at that, boot. Find it hard to believe.

I know (mostly 2nd degree, ie friends of partner/family/friends, but all people I've met) of a small handful.

And I'm not exactly from a dodgy area or upbringing.

Majority were by people they knew or ex-s, not walking down the street & getting abducted.

A predator is a predator. They don't care if someone has a right to walk alone at night in complete safety. 

If the opportunity is there, they will take it.

Don't give them that chance.

First of all, women know that they have to take extra care when walking alone, especially at night. It's drummed into us from a young age. We know. And it's not helpful to point out again and again at this point.

Secondly, I think comparing this to "swimming in a NT waterhole and not expecting crocodiles to attack you" is kind of gross. Swimming in a waterhole is not really an everyday necessity. Sometimes, for various reasons, I might have no choice but to walk around at night on my own. That's a pretty standard behaviour that a lot of men (not all) don't even think twice about, but every woman has to act like a potential rape victim and change their behaviour because someone might choose to violate their body and rape them.

I've always said that instead of women having to change their behaviour, every night at sundown, we should lock up the main perpetrators of rape i.e. men. Instead of women having to act like potential rape victims, let's just assume you're all potential rapists and you can be the ones having to change your behaviour for a while.

You can't be serious? What is astute about that comment?

She's suggesting that all men should be treated like rapists and locked up so women can walk around freely.... and you commend that?

No one is saying that it's "fair" that women have to take special care to avoid being violated, but the fact is there are bad people around. It's not "fair" that I have to lock up my house/car, but that's life.

This is not a "men vs women" issue, it's not a "race" issue, it's a "bad people vs society" issue. Men get raped too, and there are plenty of crimes that aren't rape. Men have to look out for and avoid bad people too, we have to make choices about where we walk etc, and we weigh up the risk just like you. Some people carry knives/mace/alarms etc or dress in a way that allows them to run away quickly to alter the risk. Some people carry a torch and tell people where they are going and what time they should arrive etc to reduce the risk. Some call a friend while they are walking. It's common sense for men and women.

And for the record I do change/modify my behaviour when I see women at night. When I'm jogging if a see a girl/woman up ahead, I will actually change to the other side of the road just to give her more personal space. But yeah, maybe I just shouldn't go out at all in case I rape someone.

I know (mostly 2nd degree, ie friends of partner/family/friends, but all people I've met) of a small handful.

Majority were by people they knew or ex-s, not walking down the street & getting abducted.

It's true HAP. I have no need to come in here and tell lies. Maybe more rapes happen in straight, yes sir no sir world than they do in mine. Dunno. But it's true. I know one woman who someone tried to do the do with by force many many years ago. But that was a guy who, shall we say had a thing for Young Talent at the Time, and tried the same thing on literally dozens of girls. But she (as a 14 year old) relocated, by knee, his testicles up beside his adams apple, and he lost interest. That's it for my experience.

You can't be serious? What is astute about that comment?

She's suggesting that all men should be treated like rapists and locked up so women can walk around freely.... and you commend that?

No one is saying that it's "fair" that women have to take special care to avoid being violated, but the fact is there are bad people around. It's not "fair" that I have to lock up my house/car, but that's life.

This is not a "men vs women" issue, it's not a "race" issue, it's a "bad people vs society" issue. Men get raped too, and there are plenty of crimes that aren't rape. Men have to look out for and avoid bad people too, we have to make choices about where we walk etc, and we weigh up the risk just like you. Some people carry knives/mace/alarms etc or dress in a way that allows them to run away quickly to alter the risk. Some people carry a torch and tell people where they are going and what time they should arrive etc to reduce the risk. Some call a friend while they are walking. It's common sense for men and women.

And for the record I do change/modify my behaviour when I see women at night. When I'm jogging if a see a girl/woman up ahead, I will actually change to the other side of the road just to give her more personal space. But yeah, maybe I just shouldn't go out at all in case I rape someone.

I think you actually misunderstood her point

It's true HAP. I have no need to come in here and tell lies. Maybe more rapes happen in straight, yes sir no sir world than they do in mine. Dunno. But it's true. I know one woman who someone tried to do the do with by force many many years ago. But that was a guy who, shall we say had a thing for Young Talent at the Time, and tried the same thing on literally dozens of girls. But she (as a 14 year old) relocated, by knee, his testicles up beside his adams apple, and he lost interest. That's it for my experience.

For what it is worth here are some statistics. The vast majority of these crimes go unreported, 99% of the perpetrators are male and most are known to the victims. I haven't seen any data suggesting that rates differ significantly among different cohorts of society.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Personal Safety Survey 2005 found that 126,100 women (1.6%) experienced sexual violence in the previous 12 months. Further findings from this study indicate that 1 in 5 women (1,469,500) experienced sexual violence since the age of 15. Overall 45% of women sexually assaulted since the age of 15 had been victims of more than one sexual assault (ABS Women‘s Safety Survey, 1996).

Just very very surprising because you generally seem to know/have known someone who's either been a perpetrator (or very occasionally the victim) of just about every crime that's been thought of!

Just very very surprising because you generally seem to know/have known someone who's either been a perpetrator (or very occasionally the victim) of just about every crime that's been thought of!

Lol. I have had a very varied group of aquantances over the years, but in my world there is ,and never has been, a place for rapists or kiddy fiddlers. That's just how it is. Old School. In my world it has always been ok to wave a gun around, or wave drugs, or money; but if you waved your c**k at the young or the uninterested you would end up in hospital, or the ground, very quickly. Just call me part of Dinosaurs Inc I guess,

Lol. I have had a very varied group of aquantances over the years, but in my world there is ,and never has been, a place for rapists or kiddy fiddlers. That's just how it is. Old School. In my world it has always been ok to wave a gun around, or wave drugs, or money; but if you waved your c**k at the young or the uninterested you would end up in hospital, or the ground, very quickly. Just call me part of Dinosaurs Inc I guess,

I've lived in that world too, but the difference is that the definition of "rape" is very broad, and what some people consider consent is far from it. So there are plenty of people out there who talk the talk on how hard they are on rapists, but when they hear the story of some "mates" going through the passed out drunk chick think it's all a bit of a laugh - cause she was into it with one of them earlier...

Have a look at the Matthew Johns story. Chick goes home with a rugby player, half the team decide to join in. People were seriously arguing that it wasn't rape because she wanted to have sex that night with a rugby player. Half the people involved in that rape would talk all tough about beating up a "traditional" rapist, but thought nothing of what they did.

A predator is a predator. They don't care if someone has a right to walk alone at night in complete safety. 

If the opportunity is there, they will take it.

Don't give them that chance.

What can be confusing is that there are so many different factors/causes of rape. You have the "classic" predator lurking in the bushes with the intent of raping someone, but then in this case it seems to have started with kids looking for trouble in general and it's ended in this poor girl being raped and abused.

Then you have the footy team rapes (feral group mentality) or the rape by a significant other (domestic violence) or friend or family member, neighbour etc. Of course there's "date-rape".

The motives often differ because it can be a hate crime or a power/domination crime or it can just be that the rapist is messed up in the head or genetically as is the case for a lot of peadophiles.

So basicallly it's hard to have a generic conversation on the subject to try and "solve" the issue. Suggesting women "cover-up" or "stay at home" still doesn't guarantee their safety (not from all types of rape) and it just seems to make people angry, plus everyone has their own experiences (or lack of) with the issue which can make it very emotional (and trying to discuss it matter-of-factly makes you come off like you condone it).

I've lived in that world too, but the difference is that the definition of "rape" is very broad, and what some people consider consent is far from it. So there are plenty of people out there who talk the talk on how hard they are on rapists, but when they hear the story of some "mates" going through the passed out drunk chick think it's all a bit of a laugh - cause she was into it with one of them earlier...

Have a look at the Matthew Johns story. Chick goes home with a rugby player, half the team decide to join in. People were seriously arguing that it wasn't rape because she wanted to have sex that night with a rugby player. Half the people involved in that rape would talk all tough about beating up a "traditional" rapist, but thought nothing of what they did.

What don't you understand in what I am saying? I said I know no one who has been raped, and you keep telling me I am not understanding and I am wrong. I mean what I say. And as for the passed out chick. Maybe in your world she gets rooted. In my world one of us puts her to bed and she wakes up in the morning with a sore head, but no hickeys. If I want to root her, I'll ask when she's not comatose. Simple.

Wannabe - the real issue I have with the "matter-of-factly" stuff is that most of it is so ■■■■■■■ obvious that it doesn't need to be said - saying it just adds to the guilt of victims. Yes, we ALL know it's dangerous to walk out at night, so why when stuff like this happens do people need to point it out? All that happens is people who HAVE been raped read it and it's just another bit of self-blame they put on themselves. It doesn't need to be said, we all know it, so why bother saying it?

And as I've tried to point out in this thread, sometimes people have no choice in what they do. Sometimes women have to walk out on the street at night. Telling them they shouldn't have been there when you have no idea why they were is callous and disrespectful.

Wannabe - the real issue I have with the "matter-of-factly" stuff is that most of it is so ******* obvious that it doesn't need to be said - saying it just adds to the guilt of victims. Yes, we ALL know it's dangerous to walk out at night, so why when stuff like this happens do people need to point it out? All that happens is people who HAVE been raped read it and it's just another bit of self-blame they put on themselves. It doesn't need to be said, we all know it, so why bother saying it?

And as I've tried to point out in this thread, sometimes people have no choice in what they do. Sometimes women have to walk out on the street at night. Telling them they shouldn't have been there when you have no idea why they were is callous and disrespectful.

Fair enough.

What don't you understand in what I am saying? I said I know no one who has been raped, and you keep telling me I am not understanding and I am wrong. I mean what I say. And as for the passed out chick. Maybe in your world she gets rooted. In my world one of us puts her to bed and she wakes up in the morning with a sore head, but no hickeys. If I want to root her, I'll ask when she's not comatose. Simple.

So given the stats 1962 posted above, you think you've never met a single woman who has been raped? You don't know of any - fine, I believe that. But don't try to pretend your world is somehow better than mine just because I'm aware of some of the things that have happened to people I know and you aren't.

And FTR, I'm not part of the circles responsible for some of the stuff I've heard. Cause believe it or not, many of the women in my circle have other circles as well.