Ye Olde VFL MegaThread — August 2013 to December 2015

Quality dropped right off in the second half, but the first half was mostly were all the positives were to be found. Our intense tackling pressure lead by Kommer in the second qtr was the catayst for the half time lead along with some classy goals from McKenna, but the third qtr was diabolical as they punted 9 goals to end the game.

Browne: Would dare say he’s in line for a senior recall next week, was very solid all day, had good disposal and depending on what happens in the seniors I’d say we’ll be seeing him soon in the senior side.

Kommer: One of our best today, kicked 1 goal (could have had 2) and provided plenty of the hard yakka. His tackling pressure all day was immense, had some great chase down tackles and really buried some c*nts and made them earn it. People who say he wouldn’t be useful in the senior side is kidding themselves, because we could definitely use a hardnut tackling machine who can kick a goal or two. Would say he may need another week or so in the seconds to build that fitness base, but good signs today in conditions that admittedly suited him.

Hocking: Typical Hocking game, was in our better players. Tackled hard, won some clearances, had some good kicks to advantage and along with Browne I’d dare say they’ll both be in the seniors soon. I think the only issue is he’ll need another game or so to keep building that fitness up and to work into the game more.

McKenna: Didn’t get a ton of it, but boy when he did he looked quality. A great roving goal and a great contested mark and goal the highlights and could have almost had 5. Will be interested to see how this translates to AFL, but he looked top class and had been on great form for weeks now. From what I’ve seen of him in the AFL he surprisingly get’s into goal kicking positions often and looks dangerous.

Ambrose: Tried hard and got 2 goals, a positive performance overall, but probably needs another good performances to earn a recall imo.

Myers: Had some good HOOFS but after half time he hurt his knee so we wasn’t seen after. Went half heatedly at a few tackles which was understandable given his shoulder concerns.

Long: I don’t know, he does some nice things every so often, but he lacks presence and often disappears for huge chunks of the game. If I’m being honest I’d be surprised if he had a long AFL career, but that’s just me.

Pears: Did a few nice things, but invisible mostly…

Laverde: See above, but he looks like he could definitley be a very good player for us in the future.

Langford: Not his best game, was pushed off the ball too easily and needs some weights sessions.

Tippa: Pretty average game…

The rest didn’t have much impact on the game.