Zed? We miss you, please come back, Blitz didn't really mean it. ADELAIDE CROWS v ESSENDON @ AO, 7:20pm ACST Friday, July 19, 2019 - the team

Team selection: Round 18

Jul 18, 2019 6:20PM

BTV: Rd 18 | Team Selection

Senior Coach John Worsfold takes us through the team to face the Crows at Adelaide Oval on Friday night.

Related

Essendon has made four changes to its line-up ahead of its blockbuster clash with Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Friday night.

Mid-season recruit Will Snelling will make his senior debut as a Bomber, while experienced Don Michael Hartley will return for his first senior game since ANZAC Day, 2018.

The side will be boosted by the inclusion of inspirational skipper Dyson Heppell, who has overcome the foot soreness that saw him miss the side’s victories over Sydney and North Melbourne.

Athletic defender Patrick Ambrose has also been recalled after conquering a quad injury in a timely return with fellow defender Michael Hurley missing due to an AC joint injury.

Orazio Fantasia (hip) and ruckman Zac Clarke (illness) join Hurley on the sidelines, while young forward Jayden Laverde has been managed.

The game is set to begin at 7:20pm (ACST) on Friday.

FINAL TEAM:
B – Mason Redman, Cale Hooker, Martin Gleeson
HB – Conor McKenna, Michael Hartley, Adam Saad
C – Andrew McGrath, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis
HF – Matt Guelfi, Aaron Francis, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
F – Darcy Parish, Mitch Brown, Dylan Clarke
R – Shaun McKernan, Will Snelling, Dylan Shiel
Interchange – Patrick Ambrose, Jake Stringer, Dyson Heppell, Kyle Langford
Emergencies – Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Josh Begley, Jayden Laverde, Brayden Ham

IN – Snelling, Heppell, Ambrose, Hartley
OUT – Hurley (shoulder), Fantasia (hip), Clarke (illness), Laverde (managed)

Lav managed but still an emergency? I smell a Langford/Heppell situation from last week.

3 Likes

Late change…

IN:

47 Likes

Zac Clarke out this week seems more significant than last.

15 Likes

Actually wait, the ■■■■■ in Melbourne.

The author of that really loves adjectives.

1 Like

Playing without a recognised ruck is going to really mess with our structure

Glad they are giving Raz a break- he has been clearly playing injured

Welcome Snelling!!

welcome back Ambrose

If we can win this game, it will be our best win for the season imo

15 Likes

Wow for a minute there I thought it was DClarke. I like the team

I quite like that.

Heppell goes midfield and Langford goes forward to take Laverdes spot.

Hooker can swingman more with Ambrose and Hartley in.

Raz was stuffed and Snelling will amp the pressure massively.

The ruck is the gamble I suppose.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I changed the title, but you bet me to it.

3 Likes

This could be fascinating or turn ugly real quick.

18 Likes

NATRAT

1 Like

In the circumstances I thinks it’s the best team we can field. Pity Zlarke is ill after last week’s performance. If Lav & Raz have been sore then better they’re managed now. We can do this if we bring the intensity needed.

1 Like

Zac Clarke, illness, oh come on. Bigger loss than I could have ever possibly imagined.

Still, it is an opportunity for Harley to completely surprise me as a ruckman I guess

4 Likes

The ruck is a tough situation, but McKernan is in form and tbh the way we’ve played the last couple of weeks I reckon we’ve got the resolve to overcome it.

Clever by Zlarke ‘quitting’ whilst he’s ahead in the mind of Blitz, well played sir, well played.

Ambrose > Walker
Hartley > Jenkins
?? > Lynch

Hooker @ FF/relief ruck
Brown @ CHF
Langford the 3rd tall to replace Laverde?
McKernan in the ruck

5 Likes

Gleeson to Lynch

5 Likes

How many tap out we get?

Well we’re gonna find out if we have the makings of a quality team with these consistent outs. Really quality teams are able to cover outs with quality depth and having a ‘system’ in place, and we’ve been able to do that pretty well the last 3 weeks.

Win and it’s massive for the team. And even if we don’t lose by much that is probably a win for the team if our % isn’t affected much.

2 Likes

Just hope McKernan has learnt from 2015 v Goldstein about not giving away dumb free kicks whilst playing as the permanent ruck. Needs to do the same role as Aliir Aliir two weeks ago. I hope Hartley follows Jenkins into the ruck.

2 Likes