Van Diemen Dons Supporter Group

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tassie Blitzers Function.

Anyone here apart of this?

Merda! Thought the AFL was moving Essendon to Tasmania.

Yes. I was going to start a thread tomorrow after the prospectus is completed. I am actually on the inaugural board. We have put a lot of effort into this, and are seriously trying to get something good happening down here for both the club and it's supporters.

Would love to see you there.

There is also a Facebook page (surprise surprise), although seeing not much happens before the launch it is hardly riveting stuff just yet. https://www.facebook.com/vandiemendons/

I know its hard with these things but that time is not the greatest.

Look forward to the new thread.

I know its hard with these things but that time is not the greatest.

Look forward to the new thread.

I too initially thought an evening event was the way to go, and in fact argued that point. As you can see, I lost the argument! :smiley:
But it’s right that I lost. That time was best for our president, Lara Giddings MHA, to work the media for the event. And that is an important consideration in getting the message out.

Nice.

Give them something to do down there.

I’ve got plenty to do…I have a lot of sisters.

I've got plenty to do...I have a lot of sisters.

Well bring them to the launch with you!

I've got plenty to do...I have a lot of sisters.

Hey I thought they were my sisters…
Bruv? Is that you?

I bet there are more members of VDD down there than North and the Hawks combined.

I bet there are more members of VDD down there than North and the Hawks combined.

You’d be surprised how successful the Hawks sojourn in Tas has been. It seems that every second person is a Hawks supporter (friggen bandwagoners). And I’ve noticed that there seems to be a few more North supports up and about these days too.

Born out of a shared passion for the Essendon Football Club and a desire to proactively be a part of its future success, the Van Diemen Dons offers members a unique opportunity to engage with the Club and each other.

It all started with a small group of like minded Tasmanians united by their passion for the Bombers and driven by Alderman Marti Zucco. We were formally christened the Van Diemen Dons in May 2016.

Our membership is diverse and eclectic, with our love for the Essendon Football Club being the fabric that binds us together. We come from all walks of life, all ages and stages. From our President, Lara Giddings MHA, to Tasmania’s best loved actor John Xintavelonis (John X). We are from many backgrounds but we all have one goal.

Support, Promote and Enjoy the Essendon Football Club

The last three years have shown us how important our support is to the Essendon Football Club. When they needed it most, the EFC fans did not let them down. Many refer to it as the Essendon Family. They do so with pride, with passion and with prejudice. It is no accident that when we asked ourselves “what is it we do?”, the word that instantly came to mind was support.

Player sponsorship will form a large part of this support. Whatever level of membership you choose, part of your contribution will go towards this sponsorship.

Throughout the year we will conduct fundraising events such as auctions of club merchandise, experiences and memorabilia. Our aim is to provide our members with the opportunity to purchase sought after items at great prices. Some profits from these events will be returned to the Club.

Van Diemen Dons will make a financial contribution to the club each year. This will be determined by members at the AGM.

We all love footy and support the concept of more games in Tasmania. Our long term goal is to see the Essendon Football Club play a game in Tasmania. Our immediate goal is to raise the profile of the Club in Tasmania to a level where this becomes not just possible, but probable.

We will do this by staging events which are well planned, promoted and attended with an aim to draw maximum media attention.
Our communications strategy has a large social media focus with a strong presence on both Facebook and Twitter.

As an interstate supporter it is much more difficult to engage and feel engaged with the Club and other supporters. More importantly, its difficult to feel a part of something that happens, for the most part, so far away.

We understand the importance of engagement and will endeavour to build networks and camaraderie through social functions With this in mind we aim to bring our supporters together for events throughout the year.

Our Game Day events will enable members to relax and enjoy the game in the company of other passionate Essendon supporters. These will be relaxed, informal events where members can catch up over a meal and then enjoy the game together.

We aim to hold one family friendly event each year. While the details of this have not yet been finalised it is envisaged that this could include a skills clinic hosted by Essendon Football Club followed by an informal get together.

Our main fundraising event will be the highlight of our social year. This will be a gala event, held in conjunction with the Club and include guest speakers, auction items and fine food and wine.

Our members will have the opportunity to attend premium Essendon Football Club events such as The Season Launch and Crichton Medal.

Membership

Our memberships are affordable for all while allowing those who are willing and able to make a greater contribution to do so. Memberships are renewable each year. Van Diemen Dons memberships are designed to enhance, not replace, your existing Essendon Football Club membership.

Those joining in our first year will receive membership for the 2016/2017 seasons.

Gold
• Recognition as a Van Diemen Dons Member
• Official Membership Pin
• Participation in our Gold Player Sponsorship Program • Invitation to all Tasmanian events
• Official EFC Digital Club Membership
• Voting rights at the Van Diemen Dons AGM
Cost
Adult $100 Family (2 Adults 2 Children) $150

Platinum
• Gold Membership Package
• Exclusive Game Day Experiences when attending Essendon home games (these
include room passes and guided tour of True Value Solar Centre)
• One ticket to Van Diemen Dons Gala Event
• Participation in our Platinum Player Sponsorship Program
• Networking opportunities
Cost
Adult $500 Family (2 Adults 2 Children) $750

We should sell a home game down to tassie. Seems we have a hell of a lot of fans down there, I dare say more than the 3 clubs who have home games down there?

We should sell a home game down to tassie.

Wash your mouth out you filthy boy.

Ok @Reboot how do we sign up for the lunch?

Can only see the email for the memberships.

Who else is going?

Ok @Reboot how do we sign up for the lunch?

Can only see the email for the memberships.

Email [email protected] with your request and we will sort it out. Need to do it asap though. Technically bookings are already closed.

Sent @Reboot.

Sorry i did not see the RSVP on the brochure, if its to late don’t stress.

We should sell a home game down to tassie. Seems we have a hell of a lot of fans down there, I dare say more than the 3 clubs who have home games down there?

no need to sell a home game, just play a preseason game down there please. Would get 15,000+ to a practice game of efc v hawks or whoever, compared to the small crowds GWS Get.
I have travelled to Melbourne at least once a season since 2000 to watch Essendon play.
Every other club has played a game for premiership points or a practice match in that time in Tassie.
Essendon are the only team not to have played on Aurora stadium.
I think we trained on there once when we came down to Tassie for a week and had Lonergan on the list at the time.

Plus it would encourage all the Victorian bomber fans to come to Tassie in the preseason, can come over on the spirit, go to cradle mountain, on to Launceston watch essendon play at Aurora, and then Drive down the road to Boots café in Hobart, come back via east coast and experience freycinet/ wineglass bay.

And all the Hawks fans hate Essendon, so if was against the Hawks, a lot of hawks supporters would turn up to the practice match, where most don’t bother as they play actual premiership points games here, why it would be better for Collingwood and essendon to play a practice match here…

It’s disappointing that we (and the AFL) have neglected Tasmania. We have played in remote Western Australia and not in Tasmania?

Agree with Houli Dooli that a training session/practice game would be very well attended and a reward to everyone for sticking fat as well as being traditional members over the years.