#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

It looks like they are still treating Andy like a kid, which is fair enough I guess. Next year he’ll be given a more prominent role on ball.

Personally, I think he should have slotted straight into Dev’s once he was gonski.

1 Like

Another outstanding display by pidge today!!! A show of what’s yet to come with this bloke and how high he’s footy iq is with that take on off 3 Carlton players lowering the eyes and hitting parish. Let’s talk comparisons this week with he’s draft peers :wink:

11 Likes

I love Andy, was great today.

(He’s good even when he isn’t good :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Yep that was first class. Now we just need parish to learn the same composure when in that situation.

Very good today. I agree he is a more natural defender but he certainly has the ability to be successful in a variety of midfield roles. IMO we should give him every chance to make it further up the ground, it’s not like it’s going to hurt his ‘small defender’ abilities.

I said on here about a month or so ago that the one thing that Andy really needed to work was his strength in the contest 1on1.

And I’ll tell you what, last week and today in particular he has completely flipped this around.
Going body to body and showing some tenacity.
have really loved the last two weeks from him.

Agreed. Those comparisons are silly. We nailed that pick with this bloke.

4 Likes

100%

3 Likes

He’s a mid.

Easily his best game this year. He should back his pace and agility more often

3 Likes

Was more willing to take others on, even though they were only blue witches hats. An outstanding game from him.

Yeah he did which was great but can do it even more often I reckon

1 Like

16 last quarter possies

7 Likes

Not the first time he has gone berko in the last quarter.

1 Like

A couple of those short low passes were beyond magnificent.

1 Like

How Pidge became Pidge

Julian Trantino

Jun 13, 2019 7:07PM

h

DON AIR | The origins of ‘Pidge’

Andy McGrath reveals the origins of his nickname ‘Pidge’ with an incredible story. Listen to DON AIR in full at www.essendonfc.com.au/don-air

Related

There’s been a lot of conjecture about his nickname, but now Andy McGrath has finally revealed the origins of it.

And what a story it is.

Appearing on this week’s episode of DON AIR , the young Bombers star affectionately known as ‘Pidge’ said it all began in his first car ride to The Hangar.

“Basically it comes from Brendon Goddard,” McGrath recalled.

“On my first day at the club, he drove me in and asked me (if I had a nickname).

“He called me ‘Pigeon’, I asked why, and he said Glenn McGrath’s (former Australian cricketer) nickname was Pigeon.”

Migrating to Australia from Canada at the age of five, McGrath could be forgiven for not taking a liking to cricket, and therefore the nickname.

But if he had his time again, he might have replied differently to Goddard.

“He asked me if I liked it, and I said ‘probably not, I’d rather something else’.

“He’s like, ‘you should never have said that’ and basically from there it’s evolved.”

But this is where the story really gets interesting.

“A few weeks later, James Kelly was lurking around my locker. He shouldn’t usually be around there – he was No.47 and that real estate is a fair way from the No.1.

“I was wondering why he was there and I opened up the top lid of my locker and there you have it, a live pigeon right in the top of my locker.

“I just walked out and said ‘get rid of it, just get rid of it’ and that’s how it (nickname) stuck.”

Three years on, Pidge is still going strong, both in name and nature.

8 Likes

Would still prefer Taranto or McCluggage. Both are far more damaging

1 Like

geez are we going to have to live with that crap for the next 20 years? It wouldn’t have mattered which player we picked, you would all still say the same thing.

5 Likes

Yup, we are. That’s number one picks.

3 Likes

As long as he doesn’t end up like Marc Murphy I’ll be happy.

1 Like