#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

I don’t think we are exactly stacked with surplus options in the midfield when that midfield contains: Langford who has shown little this year - Caldwell who has played 13 games total - Shiel- who Blitz thinks is no good - and Merrett - who might be leaving at the end of the year.

I also assume if we sent McGrath back we would want him to be a rebounding / general type defender who creates drive. Problem is, we currently have a surplus of those (Ridley, Laverde, Hind, Heppell). If we moved him back there, he would have to play hard lockdown on a small forward, and while he certainly used to be great at that, I’m not sure if that’s the best place for a guy who can gather 30 possessions in a game regularly.

Well if Merrett left there’s no way McGrath goes back.

We have zero cover for what hind brings ATM. Maybe Redman.

What app is this?

Looks like footy live by sportsmate mobile.

Really good for second tier stats too.

Mate of mine is a part owner as it happens

2 Likes

Yep footy live.

1 Like

How many kickback Ivan get?

every bet you place, ivan gets $1

Haha, I wish.

I like it for stats as it’s very easy to just get a clubs stats.

Easy interface for keeping track of scores as well.

1 Like

I’d tell him to try and run out of every stoppage for the next 6 weeks even if it meant he got caught HTB 5 times a game, he’ll quickly realize how often he’ll make space and how often an obvious target opens up.

1 Like

In a funny way, McGrath is the Anti-Langford

5 Likes

I don’t think he’s got all his pace back from his injury last year.

He might be best focusing on other aspects until he does get that dash back.

2 Likes

ha it is too, the wanker flopped like it was walsh. eh all those white people look alike.

there ya go then i do apologise for getting it wrong.

1 Like

Also thanks to your app recommendation, i’m gonna post a pics for those triggered by parish commentary, just imagine it’s guelfi or someone else blonde, that shows why one shouldn’t solely base there perceptions of players games on a stat sheet and what a DE stat says, because look at the difference between your mcgrath pick, and the parish similar kick.

I don’t understand how in one instance it’s a effective kick, and effective disposal but is still considered a turnover cos he kicked it to a 2 on 1.

mcgraths kick is considered a clanger and a turnover, yet they both bombed it high to ultimately contests.

There inlies why people pull apart peoples “oh but the stats” say player x is wonderful yada yada, the people dictating what is and isn’t a stat are just as inconsistent as the umpiring, cos geez some of the 'tackle" stats on that app, watching the footage it’s very ■■■■■■■ generous to call it a tackle.

1 Like

tenor (16)

14 Likes

i just found it on the laptop afl site, so i could full screen the sucker and well ya see it better than on a phone.

that being said, I have a parish video to link in his thread, and a langford one in his, for all those who said they did their bit :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I haven’t run that Parish vision but at a guess it’s as McGrath’s kick got intercept marked - clanger is counted I believe is giving the ball back immediately to opposition.

Going to be a lot of instances league wide long balls into fwd like occur and not marked (obviously trying to also ensure opposition don’t mark it either & get it to ground/force stoppage)

Have watched this conversation unfold since the Carlton game and have the following input:

• I was at the game Sunday and was extremely frustrated by Andy’s disposal - understand he’s often in pressure situations, but there appears to be almost no thought occurring before he kicks over the shoulder by default.
  • He doesn’t seem his usual self this year - is it team defense/game plan adjustments he is getting accustomed to or is it recovery from injury, or just a form slump? Who knows.
  • I don’t know the guy, but judging his character from the available evidence I’d back him to improve, and expect him to be quite self critical.
  • I feel there has been a cultural shift this year under truck, and resulting from the addition of youth that gives me hope a guy like Andy will improve, and not continue to regress into a sub standard disposer
  • After years of disappointment and dissatisfaction with a LOT of aspects o the club, it’s direction, culture and personnel, plus a long period of mediocrity I think in some ways it’s reasonable how people react when they see a player like Andy ‘regress’, as we assume it will continue. I question a lot of aspects of the club, be it medical team, developing players etc.

I can only hope we’re on the path to improvement and I can feel something has changed. That’s not to say I wasn’t howling at the G on Sunday, and it’s not to say I’m accepting or nurturing any perceived mediocrity. I just think we’re on the right path and Andy has the attributes to contribute, improve and very much be along for the ride.

I’m probably more worried (medium/long term) about blokes like Langford to be honest, even Shiel who in many aspects has been below expectations and pay grade in my opinion.

5 Likes

Exactly, there’s not.

So do we work with the quick, defensive, hard nosed proven clearance winner who needs to improve their ball use, or pick Caldwell in his spot who’s a slower, less proven version of the same thing?

It’s an absolute no brainer for mine.

McGrath >>>>> Caldwell.

Side note, watching a replay of Q2. Your mate who’s apparently the world’s toughest contest winner as well as super accountable has just gently leant into Cunningham, then watched him jog off. Maybe a minute after coming off the bench. Cunningham butters up and finishes, in 20m of space.

I’d be very, very comfortable with him being moved to the forward line. Just not the AFL one.