#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

well herby has read the room on the mcgrath issue in his latest video.

1 Like

just found all this cos of your posts, so thatā€™s good to know.

it also shows how accommodating you are of poor performance and will justify it above and then give people access to video footage that shows youā€™ve mayo ed the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of it.

it also shows how stats on a sheet can be so very misrepresented when he has one arm on walsh as heā€™s kicking it out of the middle, and gets a ā€œtackle statā€ for it, and then people go and cream themselves after looking at a stat sheet and seeing 6 tackles.

no1 you failed to mentioned he was 10 meters behind walsh who the balled got directed too and dropped an easy mark.

no2 heā€™s kicked it ā€œto spaceā€ while all 3 of the forwards where leading straight up at him or to the opposite side, and is brilliant decision making is to kick it to a spot where 3 carlton players were going to get to it first.

no.3 is self explanatory yet he had options to handball it out too.

There inlies the issue people have with him, he rushs/panics when under pressure, and heā€™s getting worse, hell even when heā€™s not under pressure itā€™s automatic to just turn and kick.
but people defend it cos ā€œ30 possesions = great playerā€ to so many.

3 Likes

If you are going to have a go maybe at least try to have some level of accuracy otherwise you just embarrass yourself

Scenario 1. ā†’ Thatā€™s Walsh on the defensive side of the stoppage that McGrath has committed the tackle to. Despite Walsh then moving downfield immediately McGrath then gets up and passes him by the half way line. The mark is dropped by Owies a Carlton fwd who is in space, with Fogarty another fwd almost getting there also.

Walsh is still outside 50 and McGrath is inside 50 helping out.

To say McGrath is trailing Walsh by 10m down into the forward line who drops the mark is completely false

I get how its easy to confuse a number 18 (Walsh) and number 8 (Fogarty) though. Especially when youā€™ve got the blinkers on from up on your negative high horse.

6 Likes

Thought Iā€™d check the visuals of our goals this season after you mentioned McGrath not getting the stat for the kick to Jones.
Didnā€™t spot any other missed goal assists.
What I did see was related to the worth of a ā€œscoring assistā€ as a stat.
Some players get this just for flicking or kicking the ball around in a passage of play.
But there were four occasions where McGrath got the ball in traffic and fed a handball to an overlapping runner in space.
Who didnā€™t have to break stride before drilling the pass to a leading forward.
Some of our cleanest, most straightforward, and best goals all year in team terms.

No bonus stats for quality of execution

3 Likes

Shouldnā€™t Ham be closer to Walsh? but instead he was ball watching.

Yeah, but also, no

You donā€™t pick somebody at 1, develop them for 4 years towards becoming an inside mid, get great results, then borrow them for the back pocket.

This yearā€™s not a year for chucking magnets around to plug short term holes. Weā€™ve done that for literally 10 years. It gets us nowhere.
We need to keep guys like McGrath where they were drafted to play

3 Likes

When caldwell is fit:

Mcgrath to half back
Caldwell - centre stoppages
Ham - Bench / reserves
Redman - Wing

Heā€™s a better hbf than mid

1 Like

Is there a way we could get Parish back to a HFF?
Just to absolutely confirm our absolute lack of any sort of clue, as an organisation?

1 Like

Watch a game from last year.
Pretty much any game in the middle of last season, and see how competitive he was in there.

Many in here were saying he was almost our best mid, which is ridiculous, but he was very good.

People have very short memories.

6 Likes

Yep agree

Heā€™s down this year on last year pre injury. Whether thatā€™s form, getting over the ankle, new responsibilities, heā€™s still not really impacting games the same way. Which is ok.

Itā€™s also ok to be critical of a game or aspects of a game. I thought his inside work and getting to the right spots was good on the weekend, however his kicking was poor. I donā€™t get why people are defensive about that and bring up season average stats, his kicking was poor, it happens and next weeks another week.

But pulling the pin and sending him back is bizarre. Heā€™s a great player and works very hard on his game. Heā€™ll work through it and become a very good player for us. Heā€™s got ten years in the midfield ahead of him if he wants it. Way to early to put a ceiling on that.

3 Likes

5th in the B&F last year missing 3 games.

2nd in votes per game

Thereā€™s having a short memory, then thereā€™s utter stupidity.

2 Likes

Precisely correct.

His biggest issue is that he doesnā€™t realise how much space he has (or can create) in the heat of midfield. Not sure how letting him run around free on the back flank improves that.

We know he can do that - excellently.

1 Like

He was under pressure but Jones had 5 metres on his opponent, if he had a little look (and I reckon he had to time) and kept this low Jones gets an easy mark. Instead itā€™s high and 10 Meters to long. This is exactly the sort of kick we need him to do better with.

If Merrett had this kick (if it were on his left) heā€™d feint the ball drop once and then kick. He actually does this regularly and really well. He gets set to quick release if he needs, has a little peak and picks a target. it all happens in an extra half step.

Thatā€™s what McGrath needs to develop

1 Like

Know whatā€™ll improve his delivery to forwards under midfield pressure?

Playing back pocket.

I guess the question is whether you believe he can make this adjustment in his game. If you donā€™t, moving him back is the obvious path. If you do sure keep him in to work on it.

I feel heā€™s been working on this issue for a while now with no discernable improvement. The sort of awareness and micro second adjustment weā€™re taking about is very very instinctive, Itā€™s not a technical skill and itā€™s not a system. Itā€™s not that easy to coach. If anything he needs support from his teammates to tell him heā€™s got time, to tell him to find a target.

The other part of the equation though is what is best for team balance. Right now we feel short of options on every line but if we get Caldwell and Shiel back, with Cox and Perkins coming on and potentially another draftee or two suddenly the midfield feels pretty full and maybe he can be moved to bolster another line.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to post this exact thing in the Parish thread, reworked to make it about his consistency of defensive running.

How do you think itā€™ll go?

This has been around for a few years now and itā€™s awesome. I regularly go and watch these player packages. Sadly I expect it will become paid content before too long, particularly if loads of people start jumping on

Iā€™m not aware of there being a perfect player on our list, they all have things they can work on. Parish was kept out of the midfielded because of his defensive running. I donā€™t have the data to judge whether itā€™s improvemed or not. Iā€™m not going to sit here and say itā€™s not an issue though. On the evidence of our Iast game it was an issue for a few

Of course itā€™s also worth noting McGrath is a very good small defender. Iā€™m far from convinced parish is a good forward