#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Yes, but he’s up there despite how difficult it seems to be for people to swallow it.

That’s enough blitz for me for one day :man_facepalming:

If you refer to the 2nd half of last year, then yep. Did nothing for 10 weeks, then played 3 games as a half back and got even worse.

It is sometimes. Going back through this thread I can see how you are struggling with it.

his first year was the best year of his career

He was just an enthusiastic little dude using his speed and mobility to run down blokes in the backline. This is the only thing he’s been really good at… he’s a Tippa without the goalsneaking ability . Bulking him up so he could be a mediocre midfielder may have robbed him of the only thing he was really good at.

It was a wasted pick.

3 Likes

I think the coaches would have been very happy with McGrath yesterday, played his role beautifully. Unfortunately Oliver got off the hook but I imagine we were hoping that Parish would be able to match his impact on the match and that if we took Petracca out of it we’d be well on our way. Also snuck forward for a goal whilst playing a largely defensive role. A couple of skill errors doesn’t override the body of work yestersay

2 Likes

An expensive tagger… hello Clarke.

Clarke couldn’t tag a shirt.

1 Like

Dodoro has squandered the first high picks the club ever had with McGrath, then trading two first rounders for Shiel (apparently this was Xav’s fault but who knows), and then Cox. Unless we bottom out we won’t get high picks ever again, wasted opportunity.

1 Like

Geez going early on Cox.

McGrath was not a squandered pick.

8 Likes

Was he tagging?

I thought he was playing a defensive midfield role and tasked with picking up Petracca forward of centre

1 Like

Clear troll

3 Likes

I was being cheeky. Nevertheless, he’s an expensive defensive player… this is likely what his career will be… another Heppell… a high draft pick intended for a prominent midfield role who ends up making a career off halfback and ultimately falling short of expectations.

1 Like

McGrath will never be terrible or an abject failure. His attitude, professionalism and work rate is too good for that to be the case. He’ll always at least be an ok player.

He is capable of better than how he’s started this season, there’s no doubt about that. So I think we’ll see some improvement.

That said, I can’t see his limitations ever allowing him to be a super damaging or elite player. He’s a scrapper who tries hard and can usually find the footy but lacks hurt factor.

It’s an underwhelming return for the rare position we found ourselves in.

Some of that is due to the quality of the that draft class itself, and partly our choice.

17 Likes

He’s elite by hand. Average by foot. He has the tools, I will back him in. Just needs an injury free run and he will be back doing what he was doing in ‘19

5 Likes

yep. thats basically it

He needs a few sessions from diesel Williams to take his game to a new level

Is this the same Dyson Heppell that was an AA mid?

Injury has destroyed his career, but let’s not pretend he wasn’t a pretty damn fine midfielder.

9 Likes

He wasn’t that bad. Hind and Redman were more worrying considering they are younger.

1 Like