#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

It’s really simple to me from what I’ve seen.

He is being instructed to get into the play on half back, and honing the skill of giving off fast to the best option.

He has not gone for a burst run on at any stage, or hardly tried to present on the outside.

That aspect to his game will evolve and be unleashed in time.

It is then that we will see the ‘exciting’ parts of his game breaking attributes.

I’m hoping a small taste through the middle in the next two games might give us that glimpse.

McGrath's first quarter was dynamic, got a heap of the ball and wasn't panicked in his disposal. In the second quarter he and his opponent were rarely sighted, mainly because Varcoe was hardly near it. Rested in the second half. His minutes are being managed in readiness for round 1

Let’s not get carried away. He had 3 handballs.

4 possessions, 2 spoils and generally in the vicinity whenever the ball came into the defensive area ... all in the space of 10 minutes (from the replay couldn't see him on the field for the first 10) playing time (first possession with 6.14 on the clock. 2nd - 5.34. Collects ball on boundary and steps over at 4.25. Spoil 2.38. 3rd - 2.06. Spoil 1.03. 4th - 49 sec). On most occasions, whenever the ball was in dispute he was there to receive and dish off. So much to be excited about!

Apologies, I miscounted. I’m not criticising his game or down on his performance at all. I thought his defensive work was good, his disposal was flawless if not adventurous, and his positioning was generally very good, but none of that makes 4 possessions in a quarter a heap of the ball.

Hmmmm.... so far -

Season Games: 0
Goals: 0
B & Fs: 0
Places in Hall of Fame: 0
Gold Medals: 0
#1 Albums: 0
Solo Yacht Trips Around the World: 0
NYT Bestsellers: 0
Nobel Prizes: 0
Space Flights: 0
Presidential Terms: 0

Nothing I tells ya! Must be time to panic!

That matched Stantons stats for last year. Gave us nothin’! Nothin!

Hmmmm.... so far -

Season Games: 0
Goals: 0
B & Fs: 0
Places in Hall of Fame: 0
Gold Medals: 0
#1 Albums: 0
Solo Yacht Trips Around the World: 0
NYT Bestsellers: 0
Nobel Prizes: 0
Space Flights: 0
Presidential Terms: 0

Nothing I tells ya! Must be time to panic!

That matched Stantons stats for last year. Gave us nothin’! Nothin!

Thanks god he’s not best 22 then this year hey

It's really simple to me from what I've seen.

He is being instructed to get into the play on half back, and honing the skill of giving off fast to the best option.

He has not gone for a burst run on at any stage, or hardly tried to present on the outside.

It is then that we will see the ‘exciting’ parts of his game breaking attributes.

I’m hoping a small taste through the middle in the next two games might give us that glimpse.

Just me, or are you channeling ‘the bomb’?

Give the kid some respect people, he plays 1 game and the haters come out saying we made the wrong choice. I would expect this talk from a bunch of Collingwood supporters not us.

Straight swap for Jack Watts

It's really simple to me from what I've seen.

Agreed, he’ll drop his shoulder on one of these quick releases at some point, step inside his opponent and leave them flailing, and he’ll be an afl player.

He is clean below his knees, calm under pressure and clearly focused and playing the %s in a risk free manner. Once he starts to feel comfortable at the level and with the pace hell start to be a bit bolder and people will fall in love with him very quickly.

I’m on record as wanting clug but I’m confident this kid is going to be a very could player for us

Can we change the thread title to ‘#1 Andy McGrath - should have picked Begley’?

A strong game from him today. Great at winning the wall and using it by hand. Nice big spoil in the last too. He’s a gold defender and he’ll only get better!

He was very good today. Impressed

Anyone who comes in here today to post about how good one of the other draftees went will never be satisfied because he was excellent today.

Anyone who comes in here today to post about how good one of the other draftees went will never be satisfied because he was excellent today.

He was very good

Can we change the thread title to '#1 Andy McGrath - should have picked Begley'?

How did Begley slip so far?

Should have at least picked him with our second pick.

He was on Ains after Ains two goals…Ains never saw the ball till Ridley was put on him in the last half of the 4th.

Solid defending.

Looks like a midfielder.

Can we change the thread title to '#1 Andy McGrath - should have picked Begley'?

How did Begley slip so far?

Should have at least picked him with our second pick.

Sack DUDoro

Geez he has great hands

Who was the ■■■■■■■■ on our side that got in his way on his first sterling run?

Much better second half, still not sold that he is ready for Hawthorn round 1, personally another month of reserves would do him the world of good. Could be anything in a few years time.