#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

uhhh
jlt where he dropped a bajillion marks

1 Like

So between the two of them they’ve done precisely fark all.

The difference is that Pazza passed MCG onto the selection committee.

2 Likes

Of course they’re not gonna pick him if he’s a donkey!

But, If you think the same set of rules for earning a game on Saturday apply to McGrath as apply to any other player on the list (say McKenna or Jerrett who he is up against) you’re kidding yourself!

They’d have a set of boxes they’d make sure he ticked as far as conditioning, fitness and match play and yes, remember his work during JLT was solid without being remarkable.

He’s the club’s first ever #1 draft pick - They’re gonna be busting their balls to

a) get games into him
b) put him on show on one of the biggest games of the year
c) to generate positive media attention

Of course the marketing folks don’t pick the team, but X + co know the importance of McGrath debuting on such a huge occasion for the club, for EVERYONE involved.

1 Like

It has been said that if the club chooses the side based on PR, we should fold.

But the club does pick draftees based on whether they can string 2 sentences together coherently, whether they are leaders and the quality of their families.

So I would say the club should fold, if these factors make up more than 1% of the decision criteria.
What we want in this game is, whats best for the side and whats best for the player. Full stop.

I don’t think John Worsfold is the type who would hand out token games. Yes #1 pick making his debit Round 1 in front of 80K+ sounds great, but if he is selected, he will have earned it. Personally I think we are in a position where we can bring him along slowly. This isn’t this time last year where playing Parish was essential because of our threadbare list. Mind you, throwing him into the deep end didn’t do him any harm did it? In fact the 20 games he played last year, in the coalface up against seasoned bodies, were probably worth 50-60 because of the responsibility on his shoulders.

2 Likes

Surely the Koalas and the Scum games would be a more sensible debut. The Hawks will be tough, it might be a bit much for a first game.

HELL YES - We need to be good at football again and more than anything, we need the players with the drive to take us there.

Disco knows this. X knows. Worsfold knows this. Hell even Tanner knows this. That’s why McGrath was drafted.

CONFIRMED:
Number one draft pick Andrew McGrath will make his debut on Saturday night against Hawthorn.

Source: Essendon Football Club Supporters page on FB

4 Likes

Essendon is set to unveil its top pick for the round one blockbuster Hawthorn.

📝: https://t.co/PydT2Zlu2e#DonTheSash pic.twitter.com/ds66niTJwW

— Essendon FC (@EssendonFC) March 23, 2017
2 Likes

Going to be ■■■■■■ good for all of us to look back one day and say we were at his first game I reckon.

1 Like

Great news, he has done everything asked of him, defended well, and attacked well with his slick hands in the JLT. Not expecting to much from him in his first game. But if he can keep one of poppy or cryril quiet that would be a big win for him. Don’t care how many possessions he gets. Good luck.

1 Like

Connor over McGrath as a defender = lol

2 Likes

I excite

It’s a big occassion for debuting a boy, but one that he can definitely handle - fantastic young lad with tremendous character and head on his shoulders. He mightn’t do much, but he’ll be fine, and the comments about Woosha not being the type to hand out token games are spot on I think.

1 Like

Good luck Macka.

Hope you show your cool head & slick hands on the big stage, & generally shove it up all your doubters.

2 Likes

Right choice in my opinion. Think we need a potential lock-down small defender, particularly with their smalls. Also helps further push the fact that we are entering a new era of our football club.

Saw the TAC Cup Final live and was very exciting. His speed off half back completely tore the game open and if we give him time, he will be a very good footballer.

Pigeon has ticked the boxes over the pre-season. Lets hope the ball doesnt come down to the Hawks end too fast and too often, so he can get used to playing in a game with that level of intensity.

I hope he plays well. He is going to have to learn fast.

Just re read Shaws season preview and noticed this …

- Pace, pace and more pace. Essendon could be a slow side in terms of foot speed. There is pace of ball movement and pace of outside run to balance inside ball winners. I think the team balance will be critical as Colyer, McGrath, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKenna provide that very special ingredient.

I don’t recall Macka being lauded for his pace, nor have I seen blitz mention it as a stand out throughout the JLT games … how quick was he in the combine, . can someone remind??

1 Like

I’m not biting on that.

3 Likes

He’s kinda slow, handballs too much. Bit of a Jobe Watson clone.

1 Like