#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

Took Hurley awhile to get sorted iirc? And he’s still never looked super crazy fit.

2 Likes

This - although Hurley was getting regular games by his second season.

We are a much better side than we were when Hurley arrived.

However i’d be very disappointed if Francis hasnt forced his way into the side by round 1 next year.

Hurley played on an aging, but in form, Warren Tredrea in his first game, in his first AFL season. Convincingly beat him and has played every game since unless injured - 10 games in his first year.
May have been ‘managed’ in that first year.

3 Likes

Don’t think Hurley anyway.

Think Jobe.

Don’t think Jobe, think Ron McKeown.

1 Like

He will make it, he has the talent and the attributes, it’s just going to take longer than some people want it to (myself included)

Carlisle is that long lean body type that needs time to bulk up and put on condition. The typical tall KPP that always takes time.
Francis just needs to get fit. Maybe I’m underselling how hard that is, but after two preseasons I would have hoped he was fitter than he is.
Maybe that’s why he didn’t go to the draft combine. I’d imagine his beap test may have had a few recruiters concerned.

Yep. Club are interested in how he develops over the next 12 - 18 months, not next week. And he knows what is required and is determined to get there. Like anyone who’s dreams are taking a while to become reality, he gets frustrated. But he gets frustrated with himself, nothing else. And the talent is prodigious. This kid will be well worth the wait.

12 Likes

As long as his attitude stays consistent, he has another extended preseason and continues to work hard he will make it.

At the moment he is doing that, albeit with some game day issues around probably confidence and playing an AFL style game.

The minute he goes Lance Whitnel or Gumbleton we have a problem.

There’s no doubt he has talent

It’s interesting that he has gone from playing forward to back almost from one half of the season to the next.
I’d guess that means the club sees the long term with him and wants to develop him as a player and is prepared to take the time to do it right.

Tom Hawkins was drafted in November 2006.

His breakout game was the 2011 grand final, nearly five years later.

Francis is still a teenager. Don’t get me wrong, I’d also like to have seen much more from him than we have. But I’m still optimistic about the final product. Be patient, you lot. Let’s hope for at least 8 senior matches next year and starting 22 by 2019.

I hate frangas except this one.

5 Likes

Six years further on, Hawkins still sucks.

7 Likes

Don’t forget his progress has been stymied by injuries. It’s not like he’s just been tossing it off in the two’s.

Serious question

Why, after 18 months at the club, is he gassed at quarter time at senior level. I understand he’s had some injuries but he’s also had a lot of time to improve his fitness and we’ve all seen it, halfway through the second he barely offers anything at senior level

Why? Someone with a fitness idea may be able to answer this

;oiuhp[oij

2 Likes

This is purely speculation but when he first arrived Francis had a string of soft tissue injuries, presumably as a result of not adjusting to the intensity of training at AFL level. This year he hasn’t improved his fitness as much as we would have hoped but he’s managed to play most weeks. Seems to me that the conditioning team are playing the long game so that he doesn’t get Gumbied. Given Crow’s recent record (our injury list is best in the league - touch wood), I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

I’m a bit surprised by the criticism of his game yesterday, I thought he was clearly one of our best.
Did he make a few mistakes? Yes
Did he take at least 6 intercept marks? Yes
Did he play with intensity? I certainly thought so.

Not sure what everyone else’s expectations are but I was happy with his game yesterday.

9 Likes

He took 5 marks.

Home? Home to Loxton? A 3 and a half hour drive to Adelaide?

Its like saying Adam Goodes wanted to Be traded to a Melbourne club to go home. Home being Horsham. Yep, a 3 and a half hour drive. It’s just ridiculous.

Captital cities of their home states, it means jacksh*t to people from the country.

2 Likes