#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

If we’re going to play our talls in their natural positions (a reasonable idea) then we’ve really got to stop drafting tall defenders at some point.

1 Like

So a bloke comes up to you with a smile and a handshake and you turn him down cause his team is performing like s h I t

And they say my generation is fked

Edit: I missed the punchline

My bad

Carry on

The story was parody.

In my defence I am overseas so I’m going to blame jet lag…yeah that’s it…jet lag

7 Likes

Looks like a natural forward to me.

Maybe we can try Ambrose as a forward…

1 Like

With a significant number of players, they don’t have a “natural” position, so talking of playing players where they were drafted is a mantra for morons.

Hurley was always a TAC Cup KPD who was a useful swingman, but he was always more comfortable in defence, particularly with his dodgy wrists.

Football’s history is littered though with players who played juniors mid or forward, but ended with great careers in defence. Unfortunately, we tried too many defenders moving into the midfield in Sheeds’s later years.

Looks to me like Francis is comfortable playing anywhere…at least until his tank runs out. There wouldn’t have been questions about him in the 90’s.

3 Likes

Also, also in fairness, anybody who can take a mark is best suited to being that intercept defender. Joe would probably dominate in it.

It’s a substantially easier position to play than key forward, it’s not surprising Francis looks more comfortable there. Everybody does.

Personally, I reckon he’ll play everywhere.

7 Likes

I think his ability to then cycle the ball forward is a proper asset

I’ve always thought Francis’ will be best suited to the midfield if/and when his tank grows.

Power athlete, seems to always be in and around the play. Hard, tough, good skills. Will be our answer to Danger/Dusty.

1 Like

If we lose today bring him in for the rest of the season. Enough teaching him how to play vfl. Teach him how to play afl.

3 Likes

When Danger/Dusty are ginning around at half back

Incredibly elite fitness AFL players have isn’t it?

The fact is, even after slimming down and having a good block of preseason train, it’s simply still not up to scratch.

I just have to believe history of soft tissue injuries, and how far away he was from even very good fitness, has meant our conditioning staff have insisted on a slower than normal build up to the required level.

To prevent injury, so as to then give him a sustained level of peak physical performance.

1 Like

McKenna was also quite open about the fact that one of the main reasons why they’ve played him forward was so his lack of fitness didn’t get exposed as much and that now that they think he can run out games he’s gone back to defence. Although being Bluey he said most of that in ocker metaphors.

Was named in the bests today.

smokey for Friday? smaller ground, needing taller backline, Hartley took a knock - is he a chance or does Dea (rested) come in if they want to go a bit taller??

Not after a 5 day break.

Dea will be in for extra height if that is the way we want to go.

1 Like

Dea won’t be in for extra height. He’s short. Francis is around 8cm taller.

Was he impressive today?
Seemed productive early, but made some mistakes. I tuned in and out for the rest of the game but didn’t hear a lot of him.

You are correct there, but Dea has the capabilities of playing tall. And is effectively the only real logical option to come in and play 3rd tall down back (with Ambrose and Brown injured)

No one who played VFL today will be playing on Friday.

3 Likes