#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

I was certainly unexcited by us taking Francis, though I saw it coming a long way out. He had some very clear weaknesses. And I’d seen very little of Curnow, Weiderman, or the other alternatives that seemed likely at the time (Burton wasn’t even on the radar for a top-5 pick), so it’s not like i had an alternative that I could say I thought would be better. And I was satisfied at the time that he’d at least be a AFL-level player, through probably a 3rd tall defender.

He always struck me as the sort of type who rides his confidence though, and found that a bit troubling. In a match, When he’s on, his production improves with his confidence. When he’s down, he stays down unless something changes for him, he gets moved to a new position or gets a change of opponent. That sort of thing bothers me cos a player like that isn’t someone you can rely on to drag you out of a hole (and if you’re picking a guy with a low single digit draft pick, you want that) and because he requires the coach to rearrange the rest of the side to cater to him. His engine wasn’t the best, but it was certainly plenty adequate for kpp at u18 level. But at the time lots of people were talking him up as a Kouta-esque do-it-all prospect who could go into the middle, and I just never saw that.

5 Likes

So do we head to the props to dodoro thread to take it down a peg?

1 Like

Cooked? How exactly? His injuries are minor, mere scratches, Pythoneseque flesh wounds.

Just to make sure people get it right; he was PICK SIX (6). Not a big issue but it pays to get these things right occasionally if you are going to blather on.

2 Likes

How many did Jobe play??

Same body/bulk. Lumps of lads both.

Nuff sed

8 Likes

Jobe who ?

I wanted Curnow … obviously

2 Likes

I thought his first half was ok. Couple of good clunks, some great body work and a lovely contested mark and lightning quick handball (that you can’t teach) that created a goal just after half time. As a team we went completely off the boil when he went off injured. Probably a little because he wasn’t out there and a more so because we were a player down.

The expectations of some are outlandish. He’s 20 years old, still nowhere near fully developed. 2 seasons is not enough time for him. I hope the club understand that a boy like Francis will take 5 years to physically mature and maybe longer to get there mentally.

4 Likes

FWIW other talls from the Francis draft pick 9 Sam Wiedeman only 10 games and averaging 8 touches a game, Harry McKay pick 10 has had 2 games.

Not sure any of them are busts yet, Curnow has just taken that step earlier and Curnow was always talked up more than them pre draft anyway

3 Likes

Not worried yet, however 2018 is a big year for the lump.

2 Likes

Yep

Think people overlook the fact that some of the conditions these guys play in VFL games do them no favours.

Not making excuses for Francis as he still needs a bit pre-season but all things should be considered

This thread reminds me of the Daniher thread and the Mckenna thread.
Posts from people that are impatient and have short memories.

15 Likes

Are we spending our panic dollars here or the McKenna thread?

3 Likes

I’m having a bit each way

Good question.
Over to the McKenna thread for me.

Still eligible for the Rising Star next year.
This from the AFL site:

Josh Begley (two games)
Dylan Clarke (yet to debut)
Sam Draper (yet to debut)
Aaron Francis (five games)
Kobe Mutch (yet to debut)
Mason Redman (three games)
Jordan Ridley (yet to debut)

One to watch in 2018: We should finally get an extended AFL look at Aaron Francis in 2018. Capable of playing key position at both ends – although he has settled in defence – and boasts sure hands and composure.

Needs to head for the Boxing gym over summer ala Jobe did and transform his fitness/body mass.

Its ok for kids to take a year or two. He either keeps working for it or the game will bypass him. I think he’ll be ok.

8 Likes

I agree, he needs that base that comes from a boxing style program. I’m sure Diesel will get him down and really work the crap out of him. The good part about that kind of training is it’s not as bad for injuries. Just smashes the heart rate and teaches him a much higher level of work rate.

I think his confidence is shot too. They need to build him up over the summer, settled in a position and allow him to find his role in the team.

I’m sure a bout of home sickness isn’t helping which is why a trade to Adelaide for Lever or Port for somebody like Wines might be a good idea.

Not sure if I’d prefer that he is a bit lazy and it’s just a matter of him pulling his finger out, or that he’s busting his guts and doesn’t have the genetic makeup to run out a game of footy.

One thing that needs to improve is his body language. He mopes around like the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

2 Likes

He’s a KPP sized Sam Lonergan at the moment, everything he does is ‘contested’ because he lacks the tank and/or the smarts to get the ball on the outside.

1 Like