#10 Sam Weideman

He played more games as a forward for us than Weid has so far.

1 Like

Heā€™s exceeded my expectations by a long long way already

4 Likes

Is this legit?

If so, thatā€™s crazy on a few levels

Weeds has kicked 13 goals 10 behinds this year.
Francis kicked 12 goals 17 behinds for us.

5 Likes

Point taken, however Weeds first 20 games for Melbourne (over 3 years) he kicked 16 only goals.

So for Francis to kick 12 isnā€™t too bad considering he is a natural backman and probably only had a short transition from training as a back to forward.

But having said that, I love Weed!

3 Likes

If 2MP comes back Weed gets the second defender. So he will again have an opportunity to expose this and improve.

It also takes the pressure off Jones. He can now develop in the twos, put on some size and improve his craft.

5 Likes

Is Francis getting a game?

Yeah heā€™s played a few the games I seen he was forward for a bit didnā€™t do much but has been ok down back

1 Like

Itā€™s about what I was expecting as him playing 2nd fiddle to 2MP.

He has exceeded what I thought he could do as essentially a lone key forward.

Top 10 pick key forwards are always worth a 2nd look.

3 Likes

Francis has played (the last) 5 games. Averaging 9 disposal, 4.5 marks and 1 tackle. Pretty much on par with his underwhelming EFC output Iā€™d say.

3 Likes

Actually his 2023 numbers are slightly below his career average. Sydney accepting mediocrity!

IVE GOT THE NEED, THE NEED FOR WEED

1 Like

Imagine him not getting the best key defender.

Also imagine him being used as the 2nd ruck instead of Phillips, allowing us to play another runner instead.

Has been a great inclusion to the side. Although due to 2MP injury we havenā€™t actually seen how significantly he might benefit the team structure.

Touchwood for after the bye.

3 Likes

@Stallion gif time

1 Like

Weid and 2MP is going to be a strong 1-2 punch for the next 5 years. Weid will look more comfortable at CHF with 2MP locked inside 50.

2 Likes

He as a beautiful set shot routine, and then completely sprays them. Itā€™s weird.

Yeah me too

i love weed

Having Weideman being productive, much more than Jones has been, gives us breathing space to really work on Jones and build his body strength. In the long run Jones will be the better forward, but not yet. Weideman is a good way ahead of him, but potentially Jones is the boy for the future.

4 Likes

I agree, but heā€™s playing pretty well. Pity he didnā€™t kick a bit straighter last night, could have had 4ish

1 Like