#12 Mark Baguley

Flaming love bags

No, he’s not, actually.
Betts is.

2 Likes

First post I opened when I clicked on this thread on new Blitz. Scared the ■■■■ out of me.

Ok, I’ve got to admit I saw Bag’s game differently from many others in this thread. At quarter-time I thought Bags was well on his way to being dropped for next round. I thought his Q1 was atrocious. Trailed Cyril to the ball, didn’t position himself well, and if they’d had more of it in their F50 it would have been a real problem.

He certainly improved after that, but that also coincides with Cyril’s corky.

Personally, I will need a few more games before saying that he’s “back”.

This was one of the most pleasing aspects of saturday for me, the fact that bags appears to still have it. Maybe the haircut helped but having a true lock down small defender definitely gives us a lot more options.

It was all in the haircut.

And maybe extend him the same courtesy before you say he needs to go.

3 Likes

Were these 2 watching the same game ?

Crazy_Bomber
Probably near best on ground for us in that first quarter, and definitely our best defender in that first half. Positioning, pace and work under pressure were all great. Didn’t even notice Rioli after an few touches. Wuld say he’d feature well in the B&F count for this match.

Ants
Ok, I’ve got to admit I saw Bag’s game differently from many others in this thread. At quarter-time I thought Bags was well on his way to being dropped for next round. I thought his Q1 was atrocious. Trailed Cyril to the ball, didn’t position himself well, and if they’d had more of it in their F50 it would have been a real problem.

He certainly improved after that, but that also coincides with Cyril’s corky.

Personally, I will need a few more games before saying that he’s “back”.

I did say I saw it differently! :sunglasses:

A) I stated he was under pressure, that is hardly off a single game calling for his head.
B) some of us questioned him as an automatic selection before the JLT started based off 2016 form and the performance of the defence last year. This was supported by JLT form. Again, hardly one game.

Some here do go quite wild with the declarations of a player making it or being a failure. I don’t like being grouped with them.

Thats cool Ants, everyone is entitled to an opinion for sure, it was just like these 2 opinions were at extreme ends of the scale.

1 Like

Oops, forgot the smiley face at end.

Here’s one for you.

7 Likes

The Terminator

1 Like

That’s more Evil Grin than smile …

3 Likes

Every time he went near the ball yesterday I held my breath.

It’s either really good or really bad. Probably not what I’m after in a back pocket.

Thoughts?

Other options?

if hes going through a bad patch of footy, he could be worse. much much worse. but its clear hes not as rock solid as he was previously. he still contributes massively to the backline.

Wouldn’t mind looking at Dea in his role.

You can’t play Dea on a Betts or Rioli type though. He just doesn’t have the pace or the agility for guys of that type. He is not one for the small nippy forwards. He’s better suited to what Kelly or Gleeson do. For Bags we could try Jerrett, but he’s inconsistent, Irish, but they are not totally satisfied with his defensive game yet, or, to my mind, our best shot, McNeice.

5 Likes

I think Baguley’s been quite good this year so far. There have been more heart in mouth moments than 2015 and earlier, but that feels in part because he’s been isolated deep one on one more often. That’s more the game style than anything to do with him, I certainly feel like he’s still killed the ball in the majority of his contests.

1 Like