#12 Mark Baguley

He needs to be shown the door. Take Goddard with him

Been one of my favourites over the last few years but I think he’s done. Hope we see Mcneice as an inclusion tonight.

2 Likes

Don’t think he’s done. Put him in a team with a clue and he’d be fine!

I just watched through the replay of the first qtr, and took down notes of all the prominent times Bags was involved.

Fair to say, it won’t help his case for more football this year…

19.55 - Baguley leads his man to the ball but fails to get it thru for a behind, DeGoey gets in front of him as Bags falls over.
Luckily, the ball rolls over the line before DeGoey can soccer it thru.

18.30 - Kick towards Varcoe just forward of wing who is being trailed closely by Bags.
Bags had to coral him boundary side and force him to double back, particularly with Hurley close by for assistance.
Instead he chooses the all or nothing tackle, and Varcoe’s superior speed gives Bags no chance as he ends up on the MCG turf once again.
This results in a mark to Reid and shot at goal.

6.15 - Good one on one contest in the forward pocket.
DeGoey kicks a freak goal off the ground.
Goal side positioning could have been a little better, and allowed a possible smother.
To be fair, Bags didn’t do a lot wrong here…unlucky.

2.25 - Handball receive off McGrath, but a bad fumble from Bags.
Results in a hurried snap at goals.

0.50 - Aerial one on one 20mtrs out in front of goals.
Bags actually has good position on Sidebottom, but fails to kill the ball in the air.
Sidebottom is too clever on the ground and assumes front position easily.
The result is inevitable from here.
Bags will give away a free for holding on, or Sidebottom kicks the goal off the ground…which he does.

0.15 - Contest near the behind post between Bags and Sidebottom again.
Bags hits the behind post, and whilst Sidebottom is outside the field of play, inexplicably the ball stays in.
Once he realises, Sidebottom pounces on the ball and snaps a clever goal (probably touched but video inconclusive).
Fittingly, Baguley is laying on the turf horizontally as the ball goes thru.
A position he’s all too familiar with in this qtr from hell !

3 Likes

I particularly liked how we solved the letting the opposition score a goal in the last minute problem by letting them score 2.

Serious question. Has any other team had 2 goals scored against them in the last 50 secs of a quarter this year?

You may remember a game against Sydney last year where we gave up 2 goals in the last 1min 20sec (also a behind between those 2 goals).

We thought we’d try to break that record on ANZAC Day.
To our credit, we succeeded !

2 Likes

I feel the same. I think the selectors are thinking the same as you for Sunday.

Was that the one where it stayed in…because it hit the behind post?

2 Likes

I’m not sure that it did.
Very, very close, but I think Bags kept it from hitting the post with his elbow.

Here are the 2 closest frames I could screenshot…

Yeah, it hit the post.
Was a farked decision.
Look at the umpires

3 Likes

A favourite of mine but he’s done. Goes 100% at every contest but has been falling over way too often the last 2 years.

Not sure if I heard this correctly but I think he had the most goals kicked on him last year in the AFL

2 Likes

One of the golden ticket brigade. We are going nowhere whilst still giving these blokes games

6 Likes

He’s a good Essendon bloke just like Myers, probably also comes from a good family

He’s done. The pace is gone and when it goes as a small defender then it’s time, and he gets out positioned as a result. Good bloke, but opposition clubs know they can isolate him. Hopefully McNiece can come on quickly.

1 Like

I thought he was pretty good against Port, but the ball was coming into their forward line in a comically slow fashion.

I don’t mind him in the side, but can’t work out why he stays in with McNeice also coming in.

This team is so unbalanced.

You can almost guarantee that a massive factor in why we lose so many games is at the selection table each week.

Whoever is on it should not be there. Plain and simple.

They make Cricket Australia look like the UN.

Has been a warrior but is now cooked. Delist.

2 Likes

Should have happened at end of last season. Deadset liability

3 Likes

Agreed. Has lost a yard & clubs have now worked out to isolate him deep for scoring power. Must go.

2 Likes

I love Bags. Been a great player. Tough and uncompromising.

He is a shadow of his former self.

2 Likes