#12 Will Setterfield

At 192cm, Setterfield will provide the Bombers with a physical presence in the midfield while also having the versatility to transition onto the wing.

oh ffs here we go

11 Likes

Posting it

Setterfield lands at the NEC Hangar

Dons secure Will Setterfield.

Will Setterfield is set to wear the red and black in 2023 after Essendon traded with Carlton to acquire the services of the midfielder.

The clubā€™s first trade in the 2022 Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period saw the Bombers secure Setterfield and pick No.68, with Carlton receiving a future fourth-round pick.

Hailing from Albury in New South Wales, Setterfield was drafted by GWS in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft with pick No.5 before being traded to Carlton ahead of the 2019 season.

A hybrid midfielder, the 24-year-old has played 57 games, averaging 15.7 disposals, 9.6 kicks and 6.1 handballs* per game.

Setterfield played 13 games for Carlton this season, with a career-best performance in round 22 against the Demons, where he collected 26 disposals and six tackles.

At 192cm, Setterfield will provide the Bombers with a physical presence in the midfield while also having the versatility to transition onto the wing.

General manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Setterfield was an excellent addition to the Bombersā€™ list.

ā€œWe are thrilled to have Will join the club. We have rated Will highly ever since the 2016 draft, so to have him on board is fantastic,ā€ Dodoro said.

ā€œOur objective for this trade period was to get a big-bodied inside midfielder and at 192cm, Will is exactly that.

ā€œWill has the potential to be an excellent footballer and we look forward to seeing his growth once at the club.ā€

Setterfield said he was thrilled to join the Bombers.

ā€œIā€™m absolutely pumped to be joining the Bombers and I canā€™t wait to get started,ā€ Setterfield said.

ā€œItā€™s an exciting time for the football club with Brad Scott taking over as coach and Iā€™m looking forward to getting to work with him as well as meeting my new teammates and building a strong connection with them.

ā€œI feel that I play my best football as an inside midfielder and after speaking with Brad recently, Iā€™m extremely excited and looking forward to the opportunity to pull on the red and black each week.ā€

Essendonā€™s trade period is proudly brought to you by Homedics.

8 Likes

Didnā€™t we get one last year with Hobbs?

1 Like

Similar attributes to the Bont and Mundy. Yes please.

At his previous clubs, seemed to be at the back of the cue, which is strange given his obvious in-demand traits. Is it because, Setterfield was too much like what those clubs already had on their list? Surplus to needs?

Either way, will be good to see a big bodied mid finally do their thing in Essendonā€™s engine room. Reckon heā€™ll go well.

2 Likes

Itā€™s taken 10 years but we finally have a BIG BODIED MID!!

11 Likes

At least Nino will stop complaining about us not having a BBM

He fits the stoppage role we tried so hard to get Langford to do.
I think heā€™s a good pick up, role player that will support Parish and Shiel.

7 Likes

Nino crying with joy right now.

1 Like

this will be, along with PETER WRIGHT the biggest trade steal of all time

and we got him from flower carlton

1 Like

I like this pickup

Death, taxes andā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Will be happy for him to captain our cricket team over summer.

Because he knows how to Setterfield.

Oh dear.

22 Likes

Was he a bombers fan?

1 Like

ā€œWeā€™ve only got 1 BBM! Stupid club.ā€

6 Likes

Welcome! Very pleasing.

yes

1 Like

So can we now shutdown the talk that Dodoro dosent do anything during trade period? I mean pick 68!

Hi Will, welcome!

Hopefully we now trade Langford out

1 Like

Great pickup.
May or may not make it, but obviously fills a big hole in the list and weā€™ve given up nothing.

Welcome to Will!

1 Like

I think his nickname is Captain or something like that.

For that very reason.

1 Like