#12 Will Setterfield

You would want a pretty good forward pocket or HBF for trading out Hobbs.

1 Like

Iā€™d be trading Parish, he doesnā€™t seem as essential to our midfields performance as he was, and he is imo the least influential off field, plus heā€™d get us the most in return, would allow us to invest in a rebounding HB and a small forward.

If we did get LDU, that would pretty much make Setterfield a reserve, he might be at the point of his career where he is content with that, especially if we are progressing into a flag window and he thinks he might snag one.

Shiel isnā€™t far from retiring, which will reduce the pressure on the fringe mids, Tsatas is a like for like replacement.

Hobbs has fallen quite far behind Caldwell this year, but he seems the type to knuckle down and fight for his spot, he will surprise a few in the next few years. As others have said he is a leader and premiership teams need multiple leaders both on and off field.

Merrett has already flagged he may be spending more time forward if the young mids keep performing, and I can see him having a similar twilight to his career as Pendlebury by just injecting his class wherever itā€™s needed on the ground.

10 Likes

Hey ASB, 17 days ago - a week or two - now, Setterfield is 2-3 weeks They have NFI

Every chance he has had a slight set back, knees are tricky sometimes. Iā€™m more forgiving on this scenario than when there is a soft tissue reoccurrence.

Its been that long now he will need to play VFL to get some touch. If he does get off the injury list.

Iā€™d be very concerned if it went to McGrath imo. We have seen the benefits that a more ruthless mindset can bring to the captaincy and the team? Hobbs would want to establish himself pretty quickly if McGrath is ruled out for the above reason.

Iā€™m coming to terms that the next captain may very well be Durham if he can add leadership to his set of skills.

3 Likes

Iā€™m all in on Durham too, need to give the captaincy to the best player, and that will be him. Plus his attack on the footy is as ruthless as Merrett.

I donā€™t subscribe to the theory that the best player should automatically be made captain. Plenty of examples of very good captains not being the best player at their club, such as Tom Harley, Nick Maxwell, Shannon Hurn. We are a few years off even thinking of who would succeed Merrett. Right now I agree Durham exhibits the sort of traits youā€™d want in a skipper. What we need is a great group of leaders, not just one guy and a vacuum in terms of a dearth of other leaders on the list.

6 Likes

Need to give the captaincy to the best leader.

If thatā€™s Durham then thatā€™s great. If not then it should go to someone else.

3 Likes

Agree with most here that Setters will need to return via the VFL. He still has the attributes to be a regular AFL member but we shouldnā€™t be rushing him back. Itā€™ll be close to a 10 week injury by the time he is ready to return.

1 Like

This is the second time in two seasons that Setters has what was initially a one to two week injury that has become extended. The foot injury last season had him out for an extended period of time.

Good player but seems hard to keep him on the park.

certainly the setterfield/perkins/hobbs/caldwell question is an interesting one.

setterfield is probably the least flexible but heā€™s also the biggest and imo much cleaner offer the deck that perkins who honestly is a bit of double grab player.

perkins though is much better in the air, better with the ball in hand and more capable of beating a tackle

itā€™s really hard to split them in terms of midfield impact. Though setterfield probably has a few more runs on the board on that score heā€™s also seemingly more injury prone.

giving the rapid progression of durham IMO you wouldnā€™t play both setterfield and perkins in the middle. if setters isnā€™t in the middle heā€™s not in the team. if perkins isnā€™t in the middle obviously we can play him forward.

caldwell and hobbs have similar attributes though caldwell is a more damaging kick and better pushing forward of the stoppage, i think heā€™s just a bit zippier.

at the moment if we have to leave one out i find it very difficult to split hobbs and setterfield to be honest. i think the answer really lies in what mid/fwd balance we want for perkins. if we want perkins prioritised in the middle pick hobbs because heā€™s a more capable forward than setterfield. if we want perkins forward a bit more pick setterfield to take those midfield minutes

really, itā€™s a good problem to have.

6 Likes

Setterfield is the most fumbly of fumblers that ever fumbled. Peak Travis Colyer.

2 Likes

nah, not even close to travā€™s lofty standards. fumbling isnā€™t something iā€™ve noticed much with setters. i think heā€™s usually just trying to anchor an opposition big body rather than hunt the ball. And if that is the role i think there are pretty compelling arguments to go with perkins instead.

3 Likes

He does all the hard stuff no doubt but if you watch him closely you will see how much he fumbles.

remember Jetta fumbling into an open goal on anzac day, went through for a point.

iā€™ll keep an eye out for it, whenever we see him again

This guy has the most obscure long term injuries. Last year someone stepped on his foot and this year he fell on his knee. WTF!!!

Heā€™s out of contract at the end of 2024 ?

Another medium term injury post the Bye, and is there any point in keeping him on the List ?
Great depth, but depth needs to be available to play to be useful.

Saw all the posts, thought he must have retired! No, ok then.