#12 Will Setterfield

Fark, really.

An almost 31yo injury prone player.

10 Likes

Like for likeā€¦but better!!!

Certainly better, when fit.
Still wouldnā€™t bother doing it.

4 Likes

He wonā€™t be delisted. Have to worry about a degenerative issue. Like Devon Smith. Obviously more to this that theyā€™re telling us.

So in typical Essendon modus operandi, expect the imminent announcement of Setterfield getting a 2 year contract extension.

1 Like

He injured his knee when he fell over for the 50th time on Sunday night.

Seriously though, hope itā€™s not serious. Heā€™s a good depth player when fit.

When fit heā€™s better than depth.

The thing with depth players is that your best ability is availability.

If we take it that the first 5 mids in the pecking order next year are going to be Merrett, Parish, Durham, Caldwell and Perkins with Hobbs and Tsatas (if he learns how to kick after another preseason) as depth thereafter then we need to replace Setterfield with a reliable solid midfielder who is healthy more often than not. I can see why we had interest in James Jordan now as he is basically what youā€™d love in that sort of mould. A defensive bent, team oriented and fit.

Given all the strapping on his knee, wonder if he pulled up a bit sore from the VFL.
Year could be over for him,. but I guess heā€™s just another that might be a chance to come in at the back end of the season. Its a shame VFL are so crap as we may need to have practice games to get players ready for finals at the end of the year.

Oā€™Driscoll is a hard nut with good size (188cm), not getting a game at Freo OOC.
Conor Nash is a UFA from Hawks 198cm mid and can rack up 30+ disposals (Geelong have put an offer to him)
Jordan only had a 1 year deal, so could still get non free agent though.

Oā€™Driscoll isnā€™t getting a game because his knee is cooked. Heā€™s been more of an outside wing too, at AFL level at least. I donā€™t mind him though. Probably not the same conversation as a Setterfield (centre square mid) replacement but youā€™d monitor him as he has upside (pace, goal kicking etc).

Jarrod Berry probably could fill the role of Setterfield if his knee is cooked.
But would likely need to pay more $$ he is durable though.

Fagan thinks he will re sign with Lions though.

1 Like

Unfortunately with lost spots already tight some tough calls need to be made and he should be one of them - Obviously got some kind of permanent knee issue and struggles to get on the park. Canā€™t keep carrying guys like this. Jarrod Berry as a free agent would be the perfect upgrade

1 Like

Berry is a RFA so we would have to trade to get him (Brisbane donā€™t want to lose him)

Weā€™re not in a position where we can give up first and second round picks to bring people in, especially for a position we need least (mid)- should be UFAā€™s only

2 Likes

I think you have RFA confused with non free agents. McKay and Gresham were both RFA last year.

We donā€™t need to trade for RFA unless the offer is matched. I doubt they would be able to match our offer given they already have some salary cap pressure. It would be similar to the Gresham one last year, we just need to make sure we offer enough that they get band 2/3 compensation

And heā€™s got to want to come. He might be very happy at Brisbane.

Too many here think money is the ONLY object in a playerā€™s life. I can understand it if theyā€™re guaranteed more playing time, but loyalty counts for a lot (except for Joe Daniher, the treacherous prick).

My point is they would match the offer, unless your suggestion is to heavily overpay for freaking Jarrod Berry which is a ridiculous idea

1 Like

As it stands hes still uncontracted which means hes at least considering his options or taking offers to get Brisbane to pay up more

By all accounts he wants to stay as well. I think a deal will be done and heā€™ll end up staying at Brisbane

Im not suggesting to heavily overpay for him, but this is the exact strategy the club has had to bank cap space to use on free agents. Its also well documented now that Brisbane have cap pressure which means they probably are hoping for him to stay for less than he is worth. Especially since they prioritised and had to pay up for Mcluggage