#12 Will Setterfield

This is what can happen if for instance you have a damaged meniscus. A bit gets in the joint and the knee just locks up. Not saying that’s what it is, but I wouldn’t guess ACL.

2 Likes

Sad thing is he’s actually become quite a solid on baller and has good size about him.
Hopefully next year he can get a proper injury free run at it.

Even if that means playing half the year in the vfl, he would be just about the best back up midfielder in the comp.

1 Like

Your logic is ridiculous. Why can’t you persist with him and recruit upgrade simultaneously?
You’re suggesting to turf a 26 year old, that’s already here who always performs when he plays.
I’m not saying he’s perfect, but he’s a fantastic option that costs us bare minimum.
He needs to be resigned not delisted.

4 Likes

Hmm. He only played 65% game time and fell over and fumbled at a record-breaking frequency.

He’s got size, he’s an excellent tackler and he can find the ball. He’s also injury prone, slow and a poor field kick. We’ve won one of the four games he’s played this season. I quite like him, but I’d prefer it if the coaches went with Hobbs after the bye.

3 Likes

Because he’s perennially injured. Not just this year. Throughout his entire career in the AFL system.

If he’s best 22 because we need a big body in the midfield. Recruit one that’s more reliable.

He’s fine when he plays but the problem is he’s held together by sticky tape. Been the story his whole career and this knee injury stinks of something chronic/degenerative IMO but that remains to be seen.

Given the unreliability of his body and he’s uncontracted, I reckon his tenure beyond this year is absolutely in doubt.

2 Likes

He was more durable at the blues and note he played a few VFl matches there as well.

He lasts half a game playing an outside role, will last 30 seconds as an inside player.

I don’t want to be reminded how we over looked him in the first place for Ariel Steinberg.

4 Likes

Blues must think of Blaine Boekherst when Laverde & Langford and playing.

1 Like

Not when they are beating us!

1 Like

The way he has trouble with it pulling up some times smells of some historical cartilage damage that is unfortunately degenerative.

He didn’t cost us much did he?

Fourth-rounder.

1 Like

Will Setterfield is not unlike his fellow 2016 draftee and Fremantle Docker Will Brodie

Both both 2 club journeymen, both 26ish so in their primes (or atleast should be) & both solid midfield type players that benefit their teams when in. But both are injury prone - Brodie has managed just 54 games since being drafted - Setterfield slightly more with 71.
It must be hard for these guys knowing they can contribute when they play but their bodies seem to let them down often - lets hope they can get themselves right…

4 Likes

Setterfield won’t be carrying us to finals wins but he is good depth, I hope he’s not hurt but we all know when that injury report comes out next week it’ll say 4-6 weeks.

5 Likes

I think he’s a solid player but he lacks the dynamic quality we are after from his position. Wish he was a bit faster/explosive, or a bit more damaging with the ball. Probably the same way the Blues viewed him.

For me he sits right in-between depth and starting mid, I don’t want to see him playing full games ahead of Durham for example, but he is obviously too good for the VFL.

Just wish he had another trick.

2 Likes

I think he just needs to stay fit to be extremely useful in our mix, but that seems very unlikely.

1 Like

He’s a solid player and best 22. BBM and I like him in our team and what he can bring. He’s been unlucky with injuries - get him fit and he will deliver for us

5 Likes

Based on his career that seems unlikely, feels like he’s down the Orazio path difference being Orazio was at least mostly healthy for a while