#18 Forward or Back?

Depends on how our forward line looks after trade/draft period. If Stu & Gumby both go, I’d play Hurls forward - until Fletch retires at least.

Future captain, will come good and swing between ff, chf, chb, fb for the next decade.

His best position is Back but team needs him Forward

Fwd or back, don’t care.

Injury farking free please!!!

So sick of two games followed by three on the sidelines.

Future captain, will come good and swing between ff, chf, chb, fb for the next decade.

Heppell would have a say in that.

He may well be a more natural (even better if you like) defender, but so long as we’ve got coverage (and good/great coverage) in defense, then he should be used in the more dangerous position as a forward.

He needs to be told to be more hungry and back himself anywhere around/inside the 50. Has a bit of the Jetta’s looking to pass about him. Admirable that they look to share and find better options, but as a key forward we need him to take the responsibility of putting it through.

its laughable we are still even having this debate. how many games has he started back the last two or three years?

he’s a forward so fkg get over it

My team with Hurls down back allowing for Fletch playing only a handful of games and an express development of a few youngsters

Bags Hurley Hooker

Pears Jake C Hibbard

demps Watson Brown

Goddard Gumby Gleeson

Davy Joey Steinberg

Belly Heppell Melks

Ryder, Elliot, hocking Hams/Howlett

Some very interesting comments in this thread; most with credibility.

I am old school, but I believe common sense dictates that as a forward you MUST mark the ball in front of your eyes. Preferably as far away from your body as you can reach. You only take a chest mark when uncontested. if you are running back into a contest, do not try to mark the ball over or behind your head, knock it to the advantage of your team mates.

So many times I see Hurley trying to take chest marks, giving the opposing defender an opportunity to spoil. The same when running back. And he does not take as many as a player of his ability should. However executing those types of marks as a defender is natural.

He is one of the fiercest players at attacking the ball regardless of being in defence or attack. His best marks are taken running back, as a defender has to do. He is a beautiful kick of the ball but not so much at goal. He was an All Australian U/18 FB. Let him play the game the way that he knew as a kid. That is instinct. He could be one of the great CHBs or FBs in the game.

Also playing in the backline may reduce his injuries as he is running straight at the ball. He runs to far under the ball to be a champ forward.

Hurley's speed was a knock in his draft year, but has not affected his play in any way.

I would swap Hurley and Carlisle - Hurley is a better defender ( much better body player ) and in time, Carlisle will be a better forward.

But we can't have both in either attack or defence. 

Hurley's speed was a knock in his draft year, but has not affected his play in any way.

I would swap Hurley and Carlisle - Hurley is a better defender ( much better body player ) and in time, Carlisle will be a better forward.

Really? The guy who never ever gets cheap marks on the lead, rarely gets it over the back, always has to take contested marks?

He'd be a much better forward if he could get that 1-2 metres of separation on his man.

I thought the way he finished the season and some of the marks he was starting to take were a great sign. Now he has had the wrist surgeries things look even better. We are a much better looking team with Hurls in the fwd line. 
I think a few people will be eating their words on Hurley the fwd next year. His body has held him back and its only a matter of time before he gets some luck and a proper run at it. 

His best position is Back but team needs him Forward

Rediculous suggestion. We've had plenty of drafts and trade periods to get him where he needs to be.

He will kick 40-60 the year he stays on the park!!!

Continuity he needs, And when JD starts to take the 1st defender he will become even more damaging.

Forward!

Really? The guy who never ever gets cheap marks on the lead, rarely gets it over the back, always has to take contested marks?

He'd be a much better forward if he could get that 1-2 metres of separation on his man.

That 1-2 meters comes from reading the play before your opponent, He got better at that this year IMO he just needs to stay fit. 

My team with Hurls down back allowing for Fletch playing only a handful of games and an express development of a few youngsters
Bags Hurley Hooker
Pears Jake C Hibbard
demps Watson Brown
Goddard Gumby Gleeson
Davy Joey Steinberg
Belly Heppell Melks

Ryder on the bench.

Steinberg (rookie) Gleeson and Brown before Zaharakis and Myers and Stanton?

For a first post, that is terrible.

Bags Hurley Hooker
Pears Jake C Hibbard
demps Watson Brown
Goddard Gumby Gleeson
Davy Joey Steinberg
Belly Heppell Melks

Ryder on the bench.

Steinberg (rookie) Gleeson and Brown before Zaharakis and Myers and Stanton?

For a first post, that is terrible.

who the fark is elliot

(think you will find his name is KAV!)

Have always been of the thinking of him as a back.  However, warming up to the idea of him playing as a forward provided he continue to improve his kicking.

Seriously doubt that....Heppell is constantly used in press conferences and promos on the bomber website...it's like the club is setting him for the role when Jobe eventually stands down.

The latest video for the high performance centre is a classic example...Heppell features heavily but there is no sign of Hurley (Jobe, Goddard, Hocking, Zaha, Fletch and Stants are also featured)

How about build his engine a bit and put him through the midfield?