#19 Nick Hind

Why do you think he was allowed to play the following week ?

If you watch any team huddle at Q or 3Q time, half a dozen guys act like that.
Some hanging on every word. Some are chatting amongst themselves.
I donā€™t think it means anything at all.

Different people react differently, Ruttenā€™s (lack of) reaction suggests it was pretty much what he expected

2 Likes

A lack of standards and accountability. Which has been the story of our club for far too long. You reckon any player who showed a lack of respect to Kevin Sheedy wouldā€™ve been in the team the next week? Problem is, we have next to no leaders amongst the players either, so itā€™s not like Heppell or anyone else considered a senior players wouldā€™ve said anything about it.

5 Likes

I would echo Smoothy, well much of what he said. The cancerous attitudes like Hindā€™s have run deep and the players ran the show for far too long with a lack of accountability.

Hindā€™s attitude symbolised the imbalance of power that shifted toward the players. It can be further evidenced in the lack of two way running by the mids, the poor fitness/training standards and the favouritism shown toward senior/saga players.

There are plenty of off the cuff looks or comments that happen all the time but they are far different to Hindā€™s situation. He quite literally faced the other way from the senior coach like a child and refused to interact or acknowledge his senior coachā€™s conversation (his boss). If you still think it was nothing then refer to the past player opinions in the media, they werent drumming up an opinion, they were past legends/senior players of their respective clubs categorically stating that is not how you act (Roo/King/Healy/Montagna).

4 Likes

Where did I say it was nothing ?

I bet Scott saw that footage.

2 Likes

I see a lot of people dropping off this guy and finishing up his career but donā€™t be so quick to count him out in 2023, heā€™s the quickest on the list and has the ability to break the lines and take the game on, a point of difference.
Heā€™ll have clear direction under Scott which will bring out his best, tipping a big year ahead for Nick .

6 Likes

Yeah; heā€™s there abouts. Not sure why no love, but heā€™s got some competition.

2 years ago half blitz had boners. Heā€™s still alright and great depth at worst.

1 Like

He had some really good games last year IMO. I still rate him, even though he does need to become more switched on defensively at times.

6 Likes

I think he will struggle under Scott. He will be expected to play a certain way and Nick only plays Nicks way.

I rate him still. Heā€™s a good run and gun HBF and helps push the oppo back with his dare. I think Ruttenā€™s so called gameplan cooked him, causing him to stay too high up the ground.

He knows he needs to run both ways ā€¦ and BDB will make sure he does and hold position at certain times in games.

Donā€™t write this man off. He has good experience and a chance of a fresh reboot under Brad. Could easily be a starter on the other flank to Red Dog come R1.

7 Likes

Whatā€™s the theory, that he picked Shaun Atley for a decade and now has no use for an outside HBF?

3 Likes

Heā€™s fine. He might not be a best 22 lock but heā€™s easy best 30 or so, will play plenty.

5 Likes

No, my theory is that modern footy is highly structured and bursting off whenever you feel like it leaving your team mates exposed is a learned and disciplined skill. Which I donā€™t believe Hind has learned yet, and may find that Scott is far less tolerant of players who expose the backline too much than Rutten was. Especially with McGrath, Mass and Redmond all able to provide drive as effective as him. Albeit without breakneck speed.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll confess. Iā€™m not a fan. And good on him for carving out a pro football career.

The issue I have is that, for all the ā€˜run and gunā€™ and flashy stuff, it canā€™t offset his limitations.

He is terrible defensively. in the air, when the opposition has the ball and when thereā€™s a contested ball. He absolutely does not put his body on the line. And he canā€™t tackle.

Sure, everyone has to play a part. And if we had enough players around him to cover his deficiencies, it might be ok.

Iā€™m not sure that he is ā€˜terribleā€™ defensively.

3 Likes

At worst hes about average defensively and above average offensively.

4 Likes

A lot of people are talking about Hind as if hes going to be in the VFL all year struggling for a game. Unless he gets injured I think he will play 18+ games this year.

3 Likes

I genuinely have no idea what BDB is thinking regarding Hind. He could go either way.