#19 ShrEdwards

Edwards is nothing like Gunston, except that he is going to be very difficult to match up on. Gunston is a very smart footballer and has great endurance. Edwards is much much quicker but but doesn’t read the play nearly as well. He’ll never get as much of the ball as Gunston. But Gunston leads the league in marks I think, so that’s no knock. He has a chance of being a very damaging player though, other teams won’t want to see him with empty space between him and the goals because there are very few players who will be able to keep up with him, let alone catch him. He’ll take the odd hanger too and make something out of an ugly entry, and just the threat of this will help the smaller forwards as it will suck extra defenders to the contest (hopefully we can find some small forwards eventually).

Shaun Edwards has played 10 games or whatever in 4-5 years for about as many goals. Gunston is about as good a forward as there is in the league.

I said he should try and aim to be akin to Gunston. Not become him. There’s a difference. But I’m sorry I want one of our guys to try and be good in a similar way to the best player of his size and shape going around.

No need to be sorry but to me a very strange choice anyway
Yep similar height and to some degree build but completely different players otherwise

Very promising debut, he’s a good guy to have as our closest to goal when we press up the field. Like when Crameri was playing for us, he will be hard to stop if he gets the ball in space out the back. I can see him and Laverde sharing this role in future.

Send him back to the 2’s so he doesn’t get corrupted and permanently damaged.

Kicked 2 goals so should be dropped.

Clearly doesn’t realise that it’s not part of the “game plan” for Essendon forwards to kick goals.

I'm on board now. We're 4-5, time to take a punt on the kid.

I think though that the club may use that to justify the conservative approach

I’m on board now. We’re 4-5, time to take a punt on the kid.

Eddie Betts has a career average of 12 disposals per game. We've got enough vanilla accumulators & waiting for a guy like Edwards to suddenly rack up big numbers in the 2nds will see us never give him a crack & waste the trade. His game against the Saints in the Nab is EXACTLY why we need to take the gamble.

What a load of crap. Maybe he’s just not that good! When was the last time he kicked 5-6 goals in a game like Betts? I would welcome him in if he only had 14 possies and kicked 4 goals in a game.

It appears we have found our new Leroy Jetta.

Huh? Where have I made any suggestion Edwards is was or even could be as good as Betts? What I was saying was in reply to those saying Edwards hadn’t been getting enough of it in the 2nds to deserve a call up. I merely pointed out that Betts (who is probably the best small forward in the game ATM) has a career average of 12 disposals per game and 1.7 goals which shows how pointless it is expecting Edwards to get getting big numbers to earn a call up. Forward pocket is a position for impact not line & length. When Chappy & Cooney were out we desperately needed somebody who could kick goals. Edwards showed in the closest he’s had to a senior game for us (the NAB) that he can kick goals. It was a simple needs equation.

If the gameplan is to move the ball quickly and not overuse the handball 95% of our side regularly breaks the team rules.

Give the fans a player they can cheer for, the whole team might find their confidence lifts.

I think Edwards is exciting, unpredictable but liable to do some actions against team rules. Still a bit off but they would be tempted as he brings a daring side to our team which everyone else seems to lack besides Colyer

Edwards should fit right in the seniors if he occasionally does actions against team rules.

After the Tigers game and not for the first time, Hird stated players weren’t following instructions.

I think Edwards is exciting, unpredictable but liable to do some actions against team rules. Still a bit off but they would be tempted as he brings a daring side to our team which everyone else seems to lack besides Colyer

You don’t mean he may be inclined to kick the ball in a forward direction do you. FFS if he does that then how are the opposition going to get all their numbers back, double team our forwards & easily clear the ball? It will cause chaos!

all the more reason to play him!

I just hope his desire to follow the team rules does not effect his natural game.

Treloar wont wont go anywhere

Please WD, tell us that Shiel/Treloar/Aish/Dangerfield/Sloane etc etc are on the clubs radar. Please!

They are obviously on he radar but they will cost the farm and will be keenly sought.

Aish I am not convinced on if I am honest, would her really improve us? Shiel and Treloar are outstanding talents but cant see us getting that done and think they will stay. Dangerfield will go elsewhere ifhe moves and I think Sloane will stay.

I think Hampton is someone has huge ability and may be able to sacrificed whilst still maintaining a strong draft hand. I dont see him as purely a half back I think he has far more strings to his bow.

Eddie Betts has a career average of 12 disposals per game. We've got enough vanilla accumulators & waiting for a guy like Edwards to suddenly rack up big numbers in the 2nds will see us never give him a crack & waste the trade. His game against the Saints in the Nab is EXACTLY why we need to take the gamble.

What a load of crap. Maybe he’s just not that good! When was the last time he kicked 5-6 goals in a game like Betts? I would welcome him in if he only had 14 possies and kicked 4 goals in a game.

When has he even played a game?

GET THIS MAN IN THE FKN TEAM HIRD.

Hampton is a funny one, at the time of his pre-listing by GWS he was being talked up as one of the biggest talents to come out of the NT in years. In his first year with GWS he showed quite a bit, able to find the ball and very quick, evasive, and attacking, but tended to waste the opportunities he created a bit by flubbing his kicks. Really has faded off the radar a bit in recent seasons.

Please WD, tell us that Shiel/Treloar/Aish/Dangerfield/Sloane etc etc are on the clubs radar. Please!

I have no doubt some or all of these guys are on the club’s radar, the more serious problem is getting the club on THEIR radar!