IN: JAMAR.

Bring back BIG JON

1 Like

BUTCHER?

GILES

1 Like

Boulderstone!

3 Likes

I looked at our setup in the first bounce of Q3 in the Geelong game. Our mids appeared to be standing off the contest. None had picked up a man, It appeared to me to be a deliberate tactic.
As we built the lead in Q2, there were definite signs that Geelong were fighting back.I am tempted to think we drew the line in taking it up to their increased effort, as it was, after all, a practice match.

Don’t know why everyone is so worried about Hawthorn’s ruck division, it’s likely to be McEvoy and Vickery.

McEvoy is the best ruck matchup in the league for McKernan outside Stef Martin. He’s only an inch taller and he has the vertical leap of Donald Trump. His strength is his around the ground work and I think McKernan is more dangerous in terms of scoreboard impact.

Vickery is a class A spud, I don’t care what colours he’s wearing

10 Likes

Fix your avatar, I barely recognised you.

I hope you’re right.

Agree, could be a fixturing blessing in disguise playing Hawks (Mcevoy) Round 1 and Brisbane (Martin) Round 2. Probably the two best matchups for Smack.

Please for the love of god though get Leuy/Tbell back for the Freo game in round 4, if it ends up being Smack v Sandilands I wont even bother watching it…who am I kidding, i’m a football ■■■■■■.

Adelaide round 4. Not that it’s any better with Jacobs/Jenkins

1 Like

I’m not sure how Martin is a good match up for Smack. Martin beat Sam Jacobs in the hitouts last weekend, and will slaughter Smack in the ruck. As a ruckman Smack’s main strength is around the ground stuff, but Martin has him well covered there too.

2 Likes

Pure hit outs are irrelevant. It’s about hit outs to advantage. Smack can compete with Martin and Mcevoy

In what respect can Smack compete with Martin? Smack got smashed by Zac Smith in the ruck, and is not a good tapper of the ball when he does win the hitout. Martin beat one of the best tappers of the ball in Jacobs last weekend and is the best around the ground ruck going around.

Stefan Martin had a serious form slump last year mostly in his around the ground work wherein he dipped to about 60% of the year before. fwiw.

He was also carried a knee injury last season. Last weekend he looked like the 2015 version of Stefan Martin.

1 Like

By compete I mean the size differential is not so substantial that he will get absolutely mauled in ruck contests as he would against a Zac Smith who is 10cm taller than Smack. I’m very confident he can at least break even (or lose marginally) in ruck contests against a Martin who is only 4cm taller. Around the ground work is also one of Smacks strengths.

1 Like

I hope you are right. I think it could get ugly against Martin who is a bit of an animal with his strength, leap and athleticism.

1 Like

I hope i’m right too!

Relax Windy Dill, we should be able to beat Brisbane, but I would never predict a landslide. Especially if someone like Daniel Rich gets off the leash and we do nothing whatever to curb his influence. That. was one of the main reasons we lost to Brisbane last year.

Agree, Martin is hardly the perfect match up for Mckernan (That’d be Kreuzer or even Grundy).

The really strong guys trouble him more than the really tall guys imo.