#20 Jackson “Jerrett” Merrett

Another who should not have been in the team according to many because of mickey-mouse practice games.

Thank god the coaches actually know what they are doing.

And the fact that the last half of his games in the seniors last season were shitehouse.
People calling for his non inclusion in the 22 weren't unreasonable at all if you ask me.
But yes, I am glad the coaches know what they are doing.

I ignore the the end of last season. He did fade, but that is not unusual for kids.

In the end, I simply don't read into pre-season form for players who have proven they are able to play at AFL level. It is the guys vying for spots (clearly) outside the 22 that have more to play for. Simply see Merrett as one who has already shown enough. Coaches just need to know what sort of form he will be in.

Whereas blokes like Kav, O'Brien, Steinberg etc. have a bucket load more to prove IMO as they are yet to show they are AFL quality.

Kav has very poor awareness and makes slow decisions. Well, thats his downfall imo anyway

Kav has very poor awareness and makes slow decisions. Well, thats his downfall imo anyway

I know people have said he is a long term project player, but you would think this season while he doesn't need to set the world on fire, he sure does need to show something decent. You look at Jackson and what he is doing and they are poles apart. Recognising the fact Kav is coming from further back, but you wouldn't want the gap to widen any further for Kav. He simply must start to impact more in VFL games and put his hand up for selection (even if he doesn't get picked) to show he is still on the right trajectory.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment on your critique of him, would be keen to hear what other VFL watchers think. Many rave about his Freo game last year, but I couldn't see what was so impressive.

Whereas watching Jackson, when he gets the ball inside 50 and has enough time to snap, I am so confident he will slot it. Seems to have a natural ability to find the big sticks.

Outisde the top 10, the 2011 draft looks pretty thin. After Kav was Crozier (who I think will be very good), Tom Mitchell (gun FS recruit not available), Bootsma (ha!), Newman (in prison!), Schade (who?), Ross (meh - workmanlike), Elton (who?), Kerridge (good but kicking atrocious), McInnes (pass), Forster (who?), Yeo (good) and Jackson Merrett (very good).
I don’t think Kav will make it, I just don’t think he has the tools. He does tackle well, but his disposal and reading of the play don’t look AFL standard to me. I think Hams, who plays a similar game, is a better prospect despite being in the system a year less, and having the body of a 13 year old.

Kav will become a good player. Just needs the frame.

I hope Hams makes it. I really liked the way he played last year in the VFL. Fearless player, good decision maker and nothing wrong with his disposal. Played well in the losing final.

Has had a bad start to 2014 unfortunately due to injuries.

Was the game against Norf on Friday Jerret's best outing for the club so far?

Undoubtedly, by a long way imo.

Outisde the top 10, the 2011 draft looks pretty thin. After Kav was Crozier (who I think will be very good), Tom Mitchell (gun FS recruit not available), Bootsma (ha!), Newman (in prison!), Schade (who?), Ross (meh - workmanlike), Elton (who?), Kerridge (good but kicking atrocious), McInnes (pass), Forster (who?), Yeo (good) and Jackson Merrett (very good).
I don't think Kav will make it, I just don't think he has the tools. He does tackle well, but his disposal and reading of the play don't look AFL standard to me. I think Hams, who plays a similar game, is a better prospect despite being in the system a year less, and having the body of a 13 year old.

Do you watch the 2s?

Undoubtedly, by a long way imo.

Agree with Sam, Jerret looked much more composed and on the pace of the game. 

I dont watch the twos, my opinion of kav is purely from his senior games and its no secret he needs to improve what I mentioned (he’s been caught holding it many,many times)

Vfl watchers, is this a issue in the 2nds?

I don't think Kav will make it, I just don't think he has the tools. He does tackle well, but his disposal and reading of the play don't look AFL standard to me. I think Hams, who plays a similar game, is a better prospect despite being in the system a year less, and having the body of a 13 year old.

Do you watch the 2s?

Not regularly. I get to a couple of games a year, and watch the telecast games.

Do you watch the 2s?

Not regularly. I get to a couple of games a year, and watch the telecast games.

With one eye on Jetta and the other on Dell I've got no idea how Peeto would even notice what KAV's up to.... ;)

I rate WD's opinion pretty highly. I just would hope he's forming it off some form in the seconds as opposed to the firsts. Each player is a midfielder and really can't be judged off less than 20 or 30 games at senior level (unless they are absolute cack), and won't show it all until they have played 50 or 60. Hams played one game and gave us all a stiffy when he threw all 60kg of himself over a footy but unfortunately there's a lot more to making a good AFL player than that (even though it's a start). Kav on the other hand seems to be the sort of player that would be used to cruising around in little dashes at junior level and playing OK but would need a fair bit of time to lift to the intensity, speed and even professionalism of the AFL.

I'm glad you added the "IMO" qualifier. I haven't seen much of him but I do remember one game where he didn't get a hell of a lot of it but did 3 or 4 really good things in heavy traffic. The awareness and decision making seemed OK then.

I'm glad you added the "IMO" qualifier. I haven't seen much of him but I do remember one game where he didn't get a hell of a lot of it but did 3 or 4 really good things in heavy traffic. The awareness and decision making seemed OK then.

Freo 3rd quarter, 3 touches resulted in goals.

Jerrett has benefitted from a decent run in the firsts, which Kav hasn’t. Jerrett has improved out of sight as a result.

Kav has yo-yoed between seniors and reserves. FWIW the times I’ve seen him play in the seconds he’s looked clean and classy. What he needs is a good go, a bit more bulk, and a dose if self belief that comes with that. I’m not saying he will make it, but I think he has the tools to. The rest is up to him, and a touch of luck.

I think KAV will make it, it just won’t be soon.

Many players have shown the value of patience.

Meh, the Merretts/ Gleeson/ Ambrose all fill a need for the quick, classy, outside player that our team has been sorely lacking the last few years.. not to mention they're lucky their senior counterparts have been injured or traded.
Kavs unlucky that many of our midfielders are bulls and have good defensive games- Jobe, Hocking, Melksham, Howlett, Heppell, Myers even all like a bit of the rough stuff, like a takcle, and arent overly quick. Another of their type may be one too many for the team to carry.
I dont think its productive to compare Merrett with Kav at all.

I reckon quite a few used to say the same thing about David Myers.

I've said it about Myers, Baguley and Merrett  :o