#20 Jackson Merrett

Where else will North and St Kilda get their players from?

When Green went down at the end of the year, Jacko would have played a final if he didn’t have a broken leg (and possibly even Longy, if he wasn’t suspended).

Until then, we’d had a good run with injuries. All it will take is for one or two to go down next year, and Jerrett will be needed.

5 Likes

I’m OK with him staying on the list.

4 Likes

What you’re saying is that you ruined him.

Leave him out of your supercoach and he’d probably have won a Brownlow by now…

1 Like

I am not outraged by these list management decisions.

Absolutely gob smacked
Club is going backwards.
Sick of keep dead wood on our list. We’ve been doing this for years. e.g. nick o’brien

2 Likes

Farking LOL.

Some real drama queens on here.

12 Likes

Let’s suppose we want to go 5-6 into next years draft, which means we will need to delist 5-6 players minimum off the list to enable that, and that’s without trading anyone in. Which 5-6 players will they be? Let’s say there’s a retirement maybe 2. So maybe there’s 3 we need to delist, or more if we’ve picked someone up in the trade period. Which 3 players from our list would you pluck?

As of now, that’s a relatively easy answer, unless - bonus - one of the three re-signed players today really start to shine.

Point is, we want to keep our powder dry for next season’s draft. We’re better off keeping them on the list for another year rather than take a random late pick just in case. No disputing these players have had ample opportunity to prove themselves, but come this time next year I’d rather be trimming the fat than cutting into the muscle.

6 Likes

Personally, would have been the first player I delisted.

Will be interesting to see if Woosh has changed his mind on him.

2 Likes

Essendon has a thing for holding onto average players for way to long. Slattery and Stanton to name a couple, oh and Goddard.

1 Like

Agreed. When it comes to games played for Essendon, Stanton ain’t even a One-Percenter.

(He’s a 1.24%er.)

If we’re going to have a player on our list who clearly isn’t best 22, if rather Heath Hocking than Jackson Merrett.

Jackson couldn’t hold a spot in one of the weakest sides in modern history, averaged 12 disposals and half a goal in 2015 when we sucked and didn’t play a game this year.

Why persist? I understand that this draft is weak, but how he makes and Hocking doesn’t has me flummoxed.

If Jackson gets called up two minutes before a game to come into the side, there’s no way he’ll contribute like Heath did against Fremantle.

6 Likes

Comparing Goddard and Stanton to Slattery. Amusing.

4 Likes

Well, I for one think signing j Merrett to a one year deal offsets any good work done by dodoro in bringing in stringer, saad and smith

Sack the entire list management team. They clearly have no idea or strategy in place :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’ll be delighted to know that NOB was drafted the same year as Jackson. We managed to delist NOB 2 years ago. NOB in terms of list management was about right.

1 Like

Slattery is worth discussing. He was drafted in 2004, had a couple of years in the VFL and debuted in 2006. He played more and more games each year in the AFL over the next 3 years, and became a permanent best 22 player. Until his last few years when his number of games dropped off, and in his final year he only got a couple of AFL games, at which point he was delisted.

Makes list management sense.

You can argue he wasn’t the best player. You can argue he shouldn’t have been getting senior games. But you cannot argue the logic of the list management team in allocating him a list spot, given how many games the selection panel were giving him.

sigh what could have been with Moose. Still reckon he could have had a decent career in the seniors tbh.

2 Likes

The problem is he has the footskills of a moose.

3 Likes

Was surpised to see him kept on the list for another year.

Puzzling decision. What AFL weapon or trait does he have? He’s been tried forward, back, wing then forward again and what have the coaches uncovered? Don’t buy the argument that it’s a weak draft, just take a chance on a mature age body from a state league. And definitely don’t believe we ought to keep him “to keep his brother happy”. It’s not like his brother would ever leave - he’s a Bomber through and through. If you believe that, you believe we need to put Aaron Heppell on our list.