#20 Jackson Merrett

He’s been offered 1 yr contract. Won’t be delisted.

8 Likes

I certainly don’t remember much about that match but at least he kicked 1/7th of our goals :slight_smile:. In a normal year you can understand players getting dropped after a poor match but 2016 was different & for mine it was a mistake to not give him every possible opportunity. Outcome would most likely have been the same but really the top ups should have only been given spots that we couldn’t fill with listed players because of injury or physical development (like Francis).

2 Likes

I like him and hope he gets a one year deal. I think he gets compared to his brother which is unfair. He can definitely play a role and while not necessarily best 22 he can definitely come in and do his bit. I’d take him over josh green every day of the week.

I really think all his issues are mental. Watch him play vfl and he can dominate. Watch him.play afl.and he looks like he doesn’t believe he should be there. Its got to be tough living in the shadow of your younger brother. If we back him in he can be a valuable player for us

4 Likes

I think he had more missed tackles than he did touches in that Port game.

He certainly deserved to be dropped after it, not sure he deserved to be ‘banished’ though, as it seemed to play out.

Personally, I think he’s had plenty of opportunities to make it, but he’s just not quite good enough.

1 Like

It still astounds me how people miss Green’s value to our team, am I the only one who saw our biggest weakness become our main strength in 2017?

Anyway I have always like Jackson as a player but have to agree with most on here that he is just not quite up to it, if he has a contract in front of him I think its a mistake by the club as I can’t see anything much changing in 2018

5 Likes

The stable pony shall remain.

2 Likes

There could be deliberate methid to this madness.

A> He gets a last role of the dice

B> Next year is the Super Draft, in which we will want as many picks available as we can use. It’s easier to rid Jacko when he comes out of contract again to free a spot, than to commit to a kid picked deep in this years draft, locked into 2 years who likely won’t see senior football either.

4 Likes

Refused to play him the last 2 years, bring in stringer, smith and saad and still don’t delist him. Mind boggling

14 Likes

this
B explains all

Also may improve next year (cant get much worse)
Thus improving potential trade value

I agree with most everything you have said. He was fine in 2013. He has always had a lot of tackles and like his brother is an accurate snap shot on goal.
Somewhere along the line he lost confidence, fell out of favour, and had his papers stamped.
I don’t see much point in keeping him personally, I doubt he will get an opportunity at AFL level, he would be better off at another club.

Played 11 games in 2016, none in 2017, although was an emergency a number of times. Played well in the VFL this year, but not outstandingly. I’m not sure you could mount a serious argument that he should have played more this year.

That’s not funny to even joke about that mate

1 Like

No joke. He’s got a golden ticket until Zach retires.

2 Likes

ESSINGTON

1 Like

He def has a 1 yr offer on table from us. If port are interested in offering more, good luck to the lad I say.

4 Likes

That tour won’t take long

3 Likes

Port really were upset about not being allowed top-up players a couple of years ago… they’ve decided to fix it themselves and adopt it as a list management policy.

11 Likes

No serious loss good luck to him.