2000 Grand Final - 20 years ago today

What. A. Team.

20 Likes

Last success - 20 years ago…
How depressing.

3 Likes

Just a depressing footy club to follow and i don’t see it changing

2 Likes

FMD they were the glory days. Had a few beers in the last half and fell down the stairs after the game I was that excited.

4 Likes

Yep. And that’s so clearly what we need right now,… more depressing stuff.

1 Like

Can’t we just celebrate a great side without comparing it to the present?

10 Likes

Man, how spoilt were we back then??? We could not do a thing wrong.

2 Likes

It was Essendon v The World and we were ready to fight, scrap and claw our way to victory without showing mercy.
We had swagger and balls back then.

2 Likes

I lined up for GF tickets at the start of the finals series. We were at Colonial stadium. Every one in the line chipped in money for security guards. Mate and I were 6th in line, 7 news filmed us buying tickets. Mum taped the news!

Best day ever.

I hope we all experience it again.

12 Likes

20 years ago… Wow.

Hey we have a flag in the past 20 years to celebrate. Theres a few clubs which don’t.

Of course its grim for those who enjoyed the success of the 80s and early 90s.

I think we will def have a flag in the next 20.

I’m surprised I haven’t received an email from the Bombershop today asking me to buy a 2000 Replica Grand Final Guernsey for $350 to celebrate the milestone.

9 Likes

That kick by Hird to Rama against Freo, is probably the best field kick I ever saw.

4 Likes

I was in year 12 that year.

Now I’m married with three kids, working full time, with a massive mortgage and a head full of grey hair.

Someone call Emmett Brown ASAP (at the very least for tips about the hair)

3 Likes

I remember that.
Rama did not break stride.

From memory, wasn’t it immediately preceded by an effortless half volley pick up ?

1 Like

If I’m in a quiet room by myself and really concentrate, I can almost remember what it was like to support a great club I wasn’t ashamed of…

Rather than celebrate that team, why don’t we bi*ch and moan about our current predicament.

I mean, there aren’t any threads for that :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I uploaded this years ago Bomberblitz 2000 that game with the 2000 GF DVD

3 Likes

Anyone end up at Smokin Joe’s afterwards? I still to this day have no recollection of how I got from the city to Essendon. Drunk as a skunk.

2 Likes

Club needs to show the video to the current players and say this is what greatness looks like.

Llyod said a few week ago when he first arrived at Essendon a couple of the seniors pulled him to the side and told nothing but pre lims or finals for this team that put Llyod on notice straight away to perform.