2000 Grand Final - 20 years ago today

Apart from being fake, hollow bullshit bought & paid success, … sure.

I was thinking that too about the date, but then I remembered it must have been held early because of the Olympics in Sydney :grinning:

1 Like

Oh yeah, you’re right! The Olympics. I had completely forgotten about them.

1 Like

Yep, I was about 20th in line and remember chipping in for security!

1 Like

I went to that game in the bus organised by Bomber Travel. A bus full of Bomber supporters on a pilgrimage to the SCG!
What a long trip back…
There was one dude on our bus that came back in after the game wearing a Swans jumper. (he pretended to be a Bomber on the way there). He started to rub it in on the way home until a couple of bigger blokes sitting near the back of the bus walked down the isle to him and threatened his life. He was quiet after that.

2 Likes

OMG :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think the bloke who used to be in the Office Works commercial had a hand in arranging for security.

This dude!

Taking care of business!

I remember sitting behind a young couple and when he went to get a drink his wife told me he had been vomiting all night he was so nervous, needless to say we had the best day ever . If only we had kicked straight that day !

so you know what @Diggers looks like

7 Likes

I will take any kind of flag at Essendon currently :grinning:

1 Like

ahh grade 1, trying to get my pen license (never got).

No team consisting of the same 22 players has ever won 2 flags*, as every team changes a bit each year.
Our 2000 team will always be the greatest team ever. That feat will never be matched.
*I wonder if this has been fact checked?

I forgot that if Geelong had have won the 2008 GF they would’ve equaled our 24 out of 25 wins for a season and with a better percentage too. Their dominance of the home and away season was equal to ours in 2000.

2 Likes

I remember it like it was 20 years ago!

2 Likes

Couldn’t go to the Grand Final had to watch it on tv

Still think our 2000 H&A was better than the Cats 2008 despite the percentage. We lost 1 game and that was only by 11 points and apart from that the closest anybody got to us was 13 points. Geelong’s only loss was by nearly 100 points and they had a 1 point win over Freo and a couple of games they only win by 10 or 11 points for memory

I actually remember the 93 premiership more vividly than the 2000 one.

Feels like we’re 20 years away from another.

Same, probably for me because in 1993 it was a greater thrill because even leading into the last minor round I thought we were probably only the third or fourth best team in it and through some remarkable results we ended up with a flag. 2000 was pretty much a foregone conclusion and from about round 8 or 9 I think it was I genuinely believed we were invincible

1 Like