2000 Grand Final - 20 years ago today

So tough. One thing to note is that team was nowhere and seen as soft in 1998. Amazing to see the turn around and we really should have won 3 flags from 1999 to 2001. Things can turn quickly.

As someone who has seen zero success, I can’t even bring myself to watch that game knowing what a basketcase we ended up being, it hurts me too much.

true, but remember that 2000 side had:
Hird, Mercuri, Misiti, Long, Fletcher, Bewick, Wallis as premiership players from 1993.

1 Like

Mate ive been on that train every time the list turns over.

This is not about not winning the flag ffs.

Its about making,and winning A final.

Its been horrendous tbh.

1 Like

The stench of failure is so deeply embedded within the club, I don’t know what it will take to remove it and turn things around.

Witchcraft!

Yep but you’re forgetting that between 1993 and 1999 that with this crop of players we only managed to win 3 finals. Of our 5 finals losses 3 were by a single point. We were going nowhere!

I don’t care much about only winning a final. That’s a nice warm fuzzy feeling. The only real success that matters is a flag and that needs to be our singular focus. Do that and winning finals takes care of itself.

ha- 3 finals losses by a point, … we were JUST going nowhere. Essendon has given supporters a lot, but why does it have to be such a rollercoaster to get it?

and that 1996 finals loss to Sydney - that really really sucked.

1 Like

I’m with @Heffsgirl and @Soulnet, can’t believe I’m older than @SMJ!

As for the team, what a bunch of legends. That was peak footy during those times. I felt like I was on top of the world watching them. Was the GF held that much earlier 20 years ago? Crazy.

3 Likes

Not one like for this song “20 years ago today” ■■■■ been hanging to play this, you are all dead to me

Lined up for GF tickets and new we never had a chance but thought we would try anyway. They used to hand out passes on the Sunday and then you come back in line on the Monday in that same spot. Of course they got about 4 deep and was all sold out while we were about 50 back. Anyway my dad hands back the passes and leaves his contact details and how many tickets he needs.

Club rings him on Thursday at 3pm and tells him they have 3 tickets for him if he want sot get to WH by 4pm. He rings us at home to tell us and we are like, nah he’s bullshitting us. He then remembers one is a junior and one is a concession and he doesn’t have the ID for the concession so the guy on the other end says “oh, i’ll have to check with my boss then, 1 second”. My dad reckons it was the longest 10 seconds he has ever had, the guy gets back on the phone and says that it is ok, just show the concession card at the gate on the day.

Ended up with seats in the AFL members next to the statisticians boxes (back then the coaches box for one team was in the southern stand down the bottom and the stats guys were next to them). Basically in front of the podium at the end of the game.

What a week!!!

12 Likes

and another by 2 points (albeit we kicked a goal on the siren)
And another by 11 points (after being up by 5 goals)

Got to say, I was not nervous about the GF at all and not really nervous about the prelim. Got a bit worried when the Blues got a bit of a run on in the second just before half time but not much.

Was nervous going in the QF and then when King kicked the first I said to my mate “we could be in trouble here, we woke them up”.

I reckon about 10 minutes later I sat back in my chair and said “nah, we’re fine, lets enjoy it”

What is it?

Just a song from a band that stated in a song “It was 20 years ago today”

Now 50 :woozy_face:

1 Like

I was 9 and thought we’d be a great team forever.

2 Likes

Sucks to be you :laughing: I had 3 flags up to 2000

Edit: I am old :cry:

I remember going to GF training at Windy Hill and it was absolutely choccas. There was also a parade with the players on Puckle St at some point, can’t remember if it was before or after we won. The feeling around Essendon and Moonee Ponds was pretty unbelievable.

That’s how local footy still works and it’s great :grinning: