2016-17 List changes

I wouldn't be adverse to trading out Jackson Merrett.

Will not happen

I would have thought most people would agree with you. Doubt he’d have any interest though.

Any way we can draft two rookies from VFL ranks (refuse to name them publicly)?

Delist

Kommer
Ashby
Dempsey
Cooney
Edwards
Pears
Gwilt
Smack - would trade to blues if they want him. Better than their forwards.

Trade:
Hibberd

upgrade Tippa
Sign Dea + Kelly as DFA

5 list spots plus 1 Rookie

1 McLuggae
19 Battle
37 Parfitt
55 Heppell

PSD. O’Meara

Rookie
Tilmouth-Turner

Category b list
Ben Long/ Adam Tipungwuti

When’s benfti doing his indigenous recruiting analysis?

I'm in favour of upgrading anyone that has proven themselves to be able to play senior footy and have a bit of ability. That's why I'd upgrade Long. Same reason I'd have upgraded Dell etc. when we never did. I think rookies should be kept for rookies - marginal guys who we're not sure about. Cycle them through and have another look. I'd be upgrading all 4. But I know that's a philosophy the club doesn't really share and the only one that's a certainty is TIP. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Connor.
If Hams can't stay in the senior team this year after years on the list, why is he even going to be kept on the rookie list let alone promoted?
Delist

Kommer
Ashby
Dempsey
Cooney
Edwards
Pears
Gwilt

Trade:
Hibberd

upgrade Tippa
Sign Dea + Kelly as DFA

1 McLuggae
19 Battle
37 Parfitt
55 Heppell

PSD. O’Meara

Rookie
Tilmouth-Turner

Category b list

You've delisted/traded out 9, brought in 8. And why would those guys be eligible for rookie B status?

Tough decisions ahead this year.

Out:

Retired:
Cooney
Dempsey
Pears

Delisted:
Ashby
Edwards
Gwilt
Kommer

Trade:
Hibberd

In:

Upgrade:
McKenna
Tippa

Sign as DFA’s
Dea, Kelly

4 picks in ND, 2 in rookie draft.

Retain as rookies:
Long, Hams, Nyoun, Wallis.

I’d sign McKernan on a 1 year deal. Still think there might be something there.

Delist

Kommer
Ashby
Dempsey
Cooney
Edwards
Pears
Gwilt

Trade:
Hibberd

upgrade Tippa
Sign Dea + Kelly as DFA

1 McLuggae
19 Battle
37 Parfitt
55 Heppell

PSD. O’Meara

Rookie
Tilmouth-Turner

Category b list

You've delisted/traded out 9, brought in 8. And why would those guys be eligible for rookie B status?

If they’re from our indigenous academy zone we can potentially get one of the on the category B list this year because of that once of thing this year. If they’re not, then I have no idea.

Delist

Kommer
Ashby
Dempsey
Cooney
Edwards
Pears
Gwilt

Trade:
Hibberd

upgrade Tippa
Sign Dea + Kelly as DFA

1 McLuggae
19 Battle
37 Parfitt
55 Heppell

PSD. O’Meara

Rookie
Tilmouth-Turner

Category b list

If they’re from our indigenous academy zone we can potentially get one of the on the category B list this year because of that once of thing this year. If they’re not, then I have no idea.

We have to nominate player pre draft and they need to be not selected in any drafts to be eligible for rookie b pick idigenous pick. those guys from Tiwi. Ben Long may be taken in draft though, ifhe is we should rookie one of tippas brothers instead.

I see our list like this:
* = not tested
(f)/(b)/(m) = can play other role (forward, back, mid)
(u) = upgrade
® = take as rookie

Backs -

Talls:
Hartley, Hurley, Brown (f)
Mid/Sml:
Bags, Dea, Gleeson, Kelly, Ambrose
McKenna(u), Morgan

Forwards -

Talls:
JoeDan, Hooker (b), Francis (b)
Mid/Sml:
Fanta (m), Walla (u)(m), Redman, Long (u)(m), Laverde (m)
Eades*

Mids -
Jobe (f), Myers, Hocking, Parish, Heppell
Colyer, Stanton, Howlett, Zaka, Zerret
Jerret, Goddard (b), Bird, Langford (f), Hams*

Ruck:
Leuey, TBC (f)

Rookies -
A Heppell ®, Wallis*, Gach*

Dropping:
Dempsey, Ashby, Kommer, Cooney, Edwards, McKernan, Gwilt, Hibberd

Need:
Outside mids to replace Stanton +
Inside mids to replace Jobe/Myers/Hocking/Goddard
Ruck depth

Talk of delisting 8 or nine players goes against history of any year I can remember.

Many supporters want this many or more but doesn’t happen.

History is taking a step back with essendon right now.

Talk of delisting 8 or nine players goes against history of any year I can remember.

We have to clear enough list spots to bring in at least 4 through the draft (we would be silly to draft any less) plus free up a spot for Mr. McDonald-Tipungwuti. So it’s 5 changes at a minimum. On top of that Dea is almost a guaranteed in, and Kelly is looking likely as well. You’re now up to 6-7 without even trying.

Will not happen

How is his development this year perceived internally?

Been nice to see him kick a few over the last several weeks and spot up a few targets inside 50 but I still don’t think his defensive intensity is anywhere near where it needs to be. If he wasn’t contacted you would have to think there would almost certainly be a conversation about delisting him. Where will he be come the end of next year? It is a tough one because his younger brother is such an elite player. Is Jackson ceiling higher than what he is showing now, is he going to blossom into something unexpected? The is a tough decision coming sooner rather than later I suspect.

Will not happen

How is his development this year perceived internally?

Been nice to see him kick a few over the last several weeks and spot up a few targets inside 50 but I still don’t think his defensive intensity is anywhere near where it needs to be. If he wasn’t contacted you would have to think there would almost certainly be a conversation about delisting him. Where will he be come the end of next year? It is a tough one because his younger brother is such an elite player. Is Jackson ceiling higher than what he is showing now, is he going to blossom into something unexpected? The is a tough decision coming sooner rather than later I suspect.

I think there is some real talent there; but, I also feel some serious confidence issues. Seems to hesitate sometimes when he goes for or has the ball. Might be a chance to just put him on a half back flank in the twos and build his confidence attacking the ball and delivering. no way I’d consider axing him yet.

Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. The year is 2015, Macklemore’s Downtown is top of the charts, and Essendon delists 8 players (Chapman, Winderlich, O’Brien, Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Dalgliesh, and Aylett). Plus trades out Giles, Melksham, and Carlisle.

I would have thought most people would agree with you. Doubt he’d have any interest though.

I think Jackson is going to be really good in a good Essendon team. 2013 he was superb, a lot of touches that lead to goals that you don’t get a stat for etc. In a functional forward line I think he’ll be a really important player for us.

Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. The year is 2015, Macklemore’s Downtown is top of the charts, and Essendon delists 8 players (Chapman, Winderlich, O’Brien, Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Dalgliesh, and Aylett). Plus trades out Giles, Melksham, and Carlisle.

And then from that we secured 7 now proven quality players:

Bird

Parish
Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
TIPPA

Yet to prove themselves:

Gach - potential, long term prospect
Morgan - looked good, pre injuries
Wallis

Amazing result really from the recruitment team last year. Another draft booty like that and it will set us up for a long time

Apart from SplitRound’s comment, the other special feature this year is the top-ups and rookies. We could delist 8 players, yet if we pick up Dea, Kelly and promote Walla and McKenna, we still only have 4 picks in the draft, all in the top 40.

And then from that we secured 7 now proven quality players:

Bird

Parish
Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
TIPPA

Yet to prove themselves:

Gach - potential, long term prospect
Morgan - looked good, pre injuries
Wallis

Amazing result really from the recruitment team last year. Another draft booty like that and it will set us up for a long time

On what measure are Redman and Francis “proven quality”???