2016-17 List changes

Talk of delisting 8 or nine players goes against history of any year I can remember.

Many supporters want this many or more but doesn’t happen.

Too late to mention we did exactly that last year… but I guess less than 12 months is hard to remember!!!

As others have mentioned… this year is a little different (again) because we have Tippa upgrade, Dea and probably Kelly to bring in… so that is 3 up front. Also possibly have Long coming up.

Then you figure that we are going to have at least 3 picks in the top 50… so that is now 6-7 spots needed.

Factor in a couple of trades and I think we will be turning over at least 8 players this year.

Talk of delisting 8 or nine players goes against history of any year I can remember.

Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. The year is 2015, Macklemore’s Downtown is top of the charts, and Essendon delists 8 players (Chapman, Winderlich, O’Brien, Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Dalgliesh, and Aylett). Plus trades out Giles, Melksham, and Carlisle.

And then from that we secured 7 now proven quality players:

Bird

Parish
Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
TIPPA

Yet to prove themselves:

Gach - potential, long term prospect
Morgan - looked good, pre injuries
Wallis

Amazing result really from the recruitment team last year. Another draft booty like that and it will set us up for a long time

On what measure are Redman and Francis “proven quality”???

Redman already been given a contract extension in his first year, doesn’t happen unless proven himself.

Francis half fit able to dominate at 2’s level and shown plenty of promise in his few senior games. Stanton & Stokes IIRC indicating Francis the most exciting young player on the list.

Both of them extremely driven kids

After Hird’s first year he cut 7 too.

I would be looking at Willie Rioli for our category B “academy” signing. Has talent coming out of his ears. A professional environment, at a club he wants to be at could see him shedding the weight he needs to shed.

After Hird's first year he cut 7 too.

I would be looking at Willie Rioli for our category B “academy” signing. Has talent coming out of his ears. A professional environment, at a club he wants to be at could see him shedding the weight he needs to shed.

Willie?

Let me take you on a trip down memory lane. The year is 2015, Macklemore’s Downtown is top of the charts, and Essendon delists 8 players (Chapman, Winderlich, O’Brien, Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Dalgliesh, and Aylett). Plus trades out Giles, Melksham, and Carlisle.

Plus Fletcher retires… plus delists Hams and picks him back up as a rookie.

How about 2012. Delisted 8 players (Dyson, Slattery, Prismall, Lonergan, Reimers, Ross, Lee, A.Long) as well as retiring McVeigh and dropping Steinberg to the rookie list.

Or perhaps 2010. Delisted 8 players (Laycock, Atkinson, Neagle, T. Slattery, Still, Bock, Marigliani, Williams) as well as trading Houli.

2005 was also big. Delisted 9 players (Alvey, Haynes, Zantuck, Cupido, Thomas, Bullen, Hunt, Wilson, Bain) as well as retiring Allan and Murphy and trading out the great Teddy the Bear Richards.

We’re just not in a position where we can hang onto guys who’ve never really shown they’re going to make it, or they’re past it.

For me…
Out
Hibberd
Ashby
Dempsey
Pears
Cooney
Edwards
Kommer
Gwilt
McKernan
Hams ®

Promote:
Walla
McKenna
Long

Leaves us 6 ND picks and 3 rookie picks
One of the 6 will be used for Dea
If we use another for Kelly, we’ll have to probably keep Jake Long on the rookie list (can’t wait till they scrub the rookie list).

I just don’t think we can rely on LTIs to be able to use McKenna or Long.

Don’t trade in players unless we have a. Need and b. Space
So I’d probably only trade for a big forward or a gun mid.

Hopefully get O’Meara or AN Other at the PSD

Rookie HepA and another backup ruckman.

Why upgrade McKenna? Isn’t it better to have 39 on the list and then use McKenna as a nominated rookie? This effectively allows us to list 45 players instead of 44.

My thoughts

Out:

Retired/Delist
Cooney
Dempsey
Pears
Ashby
McKernan (rookie him if we absolutely have to)
Edwards
Gwilt
Kommer

Trade:
Hibberd
Zaka (if we get a top 25 pick, take it)
Jerrett( if someone will take him, take it)

In:

Upgrade:
McKenna
Tippa

Dea

You’ve gone hard efc1robbo

I would love to use Zaharakis as trade bait. I brought up the idea last year with a couple mates and they all thought it was a great idea. Probably can’t do it though as Zaka loves the club and will feel disheartened from the decision. We aren’t Richmond at least who would do such a thing with Jack Riewoldt!

Zaharakis will probably come third in the B&F, behind Zerrett and Daylight.

He is not tradable, especially not next year. He is a good user of the footy, breaks lines and is just starting to get his body right. Next year he won’t be tagged anywhere as near as often.

Why upgrade McKenna? Isn't it better to have 39 on the list and then use McKenna as a nominated rookie? This effectively allows us to list 45 players instead of 44.
We could do that, but it wouldn't change the mathematics for the senior list. You either give a spot to McKenna, or have a "spare" slot for him to be the nominated rookie. Your idea would allow us to take another rookie, so the question is do you get more from the positive "bump" to McKenna from being on the primary list, versus getting one more long shot kid (maybe Holmes?).

Remember, McKenna can go elsewhere (including Ireland), so if we did keep him as a Cat B rookie, I think we’d have to all but guarantee him that nominated rookie spot (short of doing an ACL or something of course).

How about 2012. Delisted 8 players (Dyson, Slattery, Prismall, Lonergan, Reimers, Ross, Lee, A.Long) as well as retiring McVeigh and dropping Steinberg to the rookie list.

Or perhaps 2010. Delisted 8 players (Laycock, Atkinson, Neagle, T. Slattery, Still, Bock, Marigliani, Williams) as well as trading Houli.

2005 was also big. Delisted 9 players (Alvey, Haynes, Zantuck, Cupido, Thomas, Bullen, Hunt, Wilson, Bain) as well as retiring Allan and Murphy and trading out the great Teddy the Bear Richards.

Of course in 2005 we also traded in Richard Cole.

shudders

And then from that we secured 7 now proven quality players:

Bird

Parish
Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
TIPPA

Yet to prove themselves:

Gach - potential, long term prospect
Morgan - looked good, pre injuries
Wallis

Amazing result really from the recruitment team last year. Another draft booty like that and it will set us up for a long time

On what measure are Redman and Francis “proven quality”???

Redman already been given a contract extension in his first year, doesn’t happen unless proven himself.

Francis half fit able to dominate at 2’s level and shown plenty of promise in his few senior games. Stanton & Stokes IIRC indicating Francis the most exciting young player on the list.

Both of them extremely driven kids

JD was given a 5 year contract just to sign as a F/S pick, did that make him proven quality? We’ve given Jerrett two contract extensions - does that make him proven quality as well? I think your definition is a very low hurdle for any youngster to get over, and ignores that youngsters get re-signed on potential as well as on what they’ve done to date.

Francis couldn’t crack a regular AFL birth. NOB dominated at VFL level too, he wasn’t proven. As to Stanton & Stokes comments, I remember when Sheedy described McAlister as the next Wanganeen. Francis isn’t “proven”, he’s “looks (very) promising”.

I can’t believe I missed Fletcher. I can only attribute it to a subconscious assumption that Fletcher didn’t retire, because he’ll never retire.

He is not tradable, especially not next year. He is a good user of the footy, breaks lines and is just starting to get his body right. Next year he won’t be tagged anywhere as near as often.

I would be amazed if zaka finished top 5 let alone top 3.

Guys who i think will finish above him:

Zac
Loony
Hartley
Tippa
Dea
Kelly
Maybe Joe

I can’t believe I missed Fletcher. I can only attribute it to a subconscious assumption that Fletcher didn’t retire, because he’ll never retire.

Given your incredible OP in baby’s first draft and trade, I can imagine you didn’t have much time to check the details of these things.

I was happy to help out.

We're just not in a position where we can hang onto guys who've never really shown they're going to make it, or they're past it.

For me…
Out
Hibberd
Ashby
Dempsey
Pears
Cooney
Edwards
Kommer
Gwilt
McKernan
Hams ®

Promote:
Walla
McKenna
Long

Leaves us 6 ND picks and 3 rookie picks
One of the 6 will be used for Dea
If we use another for Kelly, we’ll have to probably keep Jake Long on the rookie list (can’t wait till they scrub the rookie list).

I just don’t think we can rely on LTIs to be able to use McKenna or Long.

Don’t trade in players unless we have a. Need and b. Space
So I’d probably only trade for a big forward or a gun mid.

Hopefully get O’Meara or AN Other at the PSD

Rookie HepA and another backup ruckman.

Considering we’ve only got 39 on the main list to start with we could go with 7 ND picks and 2 rookie picks as your starting point instead of 6 & 3.

Apart from that, I hope your post is spot on

I’ve contemplated the idea of traiding Zaharakis but concluded its not a good idea from a list balance perspective. He is one of the few outside mids we have on the list (Stanton, Colyer, Jerret). If he gets a good run with his body he will be better next year with an array of big body mids to feed him the ball.

I've contemplated the idea of traiding Zaharakis but concluded its not a good idea from a list balance perspective. He is one of the few outside mids we have on the list (Stanton, Colyer, Jerret). If he gets a good run with his body he will be better next year with an array of big body mids to feed him the ball.

Zaharakis made a quantum leap this year. He displayed leadership, he spent heaps of time in the midfield and learnt about being a premier player by being tagged regularly. I know he didn’t cope brilliantly with the later; but, the experience will have done wonders. I’m not a huge Zaka fan; but, I really believe next year he will be a real asset off the flanks pinch hitting in the middle and he will very rarely get tagged.

I would be amazed if zaka finished top 5 let alone top 3.

Guys who i think will finish above him:

Zac
Loony
Hartley
Tippa
Dea
Kelly
Maybe Joe

No Goddard? He would have to be top 5 for mine.