2016-17 List changes

Woosha probably did that half smile that psychopathic introverts do before they beat their victim to death with a thermos, before he spoke to them.

I see it more as…

Everyone lines up
“All those on the list, take a step forward”.

“Oi…where the f*** are you three going?”

WOW

Woosha probably did that half smile that psychopathic introverts do before they beat their victim to death with a thermos, before he spoke to them.

I see it more as…

Everyone lines up
“All those on the list, take a step forward”.

“Oi…where the f*** are you three going?”

Once again I think our list changes have been very solid. Once again many regretting the loss of one player or another.

but still

in 8 months time people will be saying we keep players too long and don’t manage our list properly.

Hams unlucky but then again, so was NOB last season (who arguably showed more than Hams anyway). Tough calls are made every year, I suppose. Hopefully he gets another chance elsewhere, otherwise it'd be great to see him remain with the VFL side again.

Massive respect for Dempsey as a bloke and a player, who by all accounts has provided some terrific leadership around the club in recent years. Wish him all the best and hopefully he remains involved in the club.

Not sure what the go is with Gach but even project players need to show something - at a guess, we probably thought that he didn’t have the attitude/workrate to make it in the long run.

Well said.

I refined this a bit more and now I think I have nailed our actual and potential list vacancies (potential = ?), and have indicated the various mechanisms by which they can still be filled, with: - draft picks - delisted free agent signings - rookie promotions - creation of intentional senior list vacancies (creating more rookie spots and promotion flexibility) and - PSD picks

Senior list vacancies
1. Vacancy left over from last season
2. Cooney
3. Ashby
4. Edwards
5. Gwilt
6. Hibberd
7. Pears
8. Kommer
9. Eades - (becoming a rookie?)
10. Dempsey

11. McKernan?

Rookie vacancies (category A):

1. Wallis (rookie)
  2. Hams (rookie)
  3. Gach (rookie)
  4. Long’s rookie place if promoted?
  5. Walla’s place if senior list vacancy remains? (resulting in a 5th Category A rookie spot)
  6. If another senior list vacancy was created? (resulting in a 6th Category A rookie spot)

Rookie vacancies (category B ):

2. Vacancy left over from last season
  3. Conor McKenna’s place if promoted?

Senior list ins:

1. Walla (rookie promotion)
  2. Kelly
  3. Dea
  4. Stewart
    5. Pick 1
  5. Pick 20
  6. Pick 29
  7. Pick 41
  8. Pick 68 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion (McKenna or Long)
  9. Pick 95 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion or PSD pick 1 or senior list vacancy
  10. Pick 118 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion or PSD pick or senior list vacancy?

Rookie ins (category A):
1. Pick 1 (rookie) Wallis’ place
2. Pick 19 (rookie) Hams’ place.
3. Pick 37 (rookie) Gach’s place.- Eades?

4. Pick 55 (rookie) Long’s place if promoted?
5. Pick 73 (5th rookie) if senior list vacancy remains? (Walla’s place)
6. Pick 91 (6th rookie) if there is another senior list vacancy created?

An alternative to the rookie picks being used for new players, it has been proposed by the club that Yestin Eades may be (or may not be) put on the rookie list, which would effectively mop up our last available rookie selection (currently pick 37, but could go to pick 55 if Long is promoted to the senior list).

Rookie ins (category B ):
1. Free selection of international, or undrafted nominated Aboriginal or multicultural talent from our zone, also competing for AFL nominated or other nominated players from other zones who have missed out on being drafted and not selected by the owners of their zone.
2. As above.

3. Conor McKenna’s place if promoted to senior list.

Emma Quayle has a good article on the category B rookies ( theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-clubs-to-get-free-shot-at-multicultural-and-indigenous-rookies-after-this-years-draft-20160727-gqexp2.html )

Quoting myself to show another updated version of the list state of play with regards to list vacancies.

In the senior list ins, see bolded section showing the confirmed unfilled vacancies and how they might be filled.

ie: use of draft picks 1, 20, 29, 41, 68 and 95 is possible or a combination of only using the higher picks (eg: 1, 20.29 and 41) and also using the remaining vacancies for delisted free agents, rookie promotions, PSD picks or creation of senior list vacancies.

We will also be using pick 1, 19 and 37 in the rookie draft and could use pick 55 if Jake Long is promoted and Yestin Eades is a possibility for using the last rookie pick, according to the club who have left this open.

We are also likely to recruit 2 or 3 Category B rookies given the pool these are coming from is being increased to include Aboriginal and multicultural rookies as well as international and alternative sports rookies. There are 2 current Category B vacancies and could be a 3rd if Conor McKenna is promoted to the main list.

Hams unlucky but then again, so was NOB last season (who arguably showed more than Hams anyway). Tough calls are made every year, I suppose. Hopefully he gets another chance elsewhere, otherwise it'd be great to see him remain with the VFL side again.

Massive respect for Dempsey as a bloke and a player, who by all accounts has provided some terrific leadership around the club in recent years. Wish him all the best and hopefully he remains involved in the club.

Not sure what the go is with Gach but even project players need to show something - at a guess, we probably thought that he didn’t have the attitude/workrate to make it in the long run.

I suspect Gach’ off-field had more to do with the quick call than Gach’ on-field

So who will be left on the rookie list next year?! lol

Rookie list A

• Jake Long???

• Wallis GONE

• Nuyon GONE

• Hams GONE

• Tippa UPGRADED

Rookie List B

• Conor McKenna (provided he doesn’t return to Ireland)

Eades is no certainty to get back on as a rookie but he may well.

Why would he return to Ireland? I read an article about him 2 weeks ago where he said how important it was for him to forge an AFL career.

Seems to have integrated very well, I would be very disappointed, but Irishmen can get homesick when they come here. Its a fact.

You just need to look at the Woosha highlight tapes. The smiling assassin. I am not saying thats a bad thing,
You know when you start playing footy as a kid. Check the team sheets on Thursday night. If you are not on the sheet, 99% of the time you need to go and look in the mirror.

Shocked by Nyuon. Was clearly a project player so only one year is a major surprise.

Agree. I would have thought he was a long term project.

To me, it MUST have been something attitudinal that the club have seen that they feel will make the chances of him ‘making it’ extremely slim.

His incident during the season wouldn’t have helped. When you are taken top 5 and looking like a superstar (Hurley) a club is more lenient to things like this but when you are borderline it can be the excuse they need.

Which is tough. But I suppose life isn’t fair.

That’s a stretch. Gach might just not be up to it. Plenty of similar players have been let go in the past.

There is that to. He didn’t really impress me much at VFL level. However if his attitude and work ethic were absolutely exemplary and the club were impressed by that, then as a lanky project ruckman I feel he would have been given more than 1 season.

That’s fair. I guess your second sentence might be a reason he wasn’t kept on. Oh well. Onto the next string bean ruckman.

I wouldn’t assume it is attitudinal.

I really don’t think we will be listing any more project ruckmen who can’t be competitive in the ruck from the word go again. Egan alluded to this problem in his VFL review at the end of the season, observing it was hard to keep Gach on the park when Jamar, Smack and Michael were on it too.

In the VFL side we need three ready to go back up ruckmen (TBC + Smack + 1) and once you have those, you can’t really give the developing ruckman much time on the ground because the side is already too tall unless a couple of the rucks are also effective key position players and not just having a rest forward. This is a pretty big ask for a VFL ruck, given how rare these players are, and even if they are good sometimes, mostly they need a lot of ruck time to play well.

You really are relying on other players being injured to get a developing ruck onto the park, and if you are trying to win, you don’t want a learner in the ruck whose body isn’t ready.

Sucks for all the lads involved, especially the 1st years guys but I don’t mind the ruthlessness. Hope they back in Long and McKenna.

Smack survives.
The release said "changes to date".

Not surprised young Hams was cut. Great kid, terrific type to have around the club, but he never convinced me that he was going to make it this level. A player his size needs a bit of something special, and alas poor Will, just didn’t have anything special, not enough tools in the kit bag. l hope he continues with the VFL side, where he looks like he could become a captain. He certainly gave it his best shot, and his all. l wish him luck, he has had a hard time of it and deserves success.

The signs have also been clear for a while that Dempsey would not go around again. He did not have the season he was primed and pumped for, which would have been disappointing, but he has remained a loyal club man and is to be commended for his services to the club.

I refined this a bit more and now I think I have nailed our actual and potential list vacancies (potential = ?), and have indicated the various mechanisms by which they can still be filled, with: - draft picks - delisted free agent signings - rookie promotions - creation of intentional senior list vacancies (creating more rookie spots and promotion flexibility) and - PSD picks

Senior list vacancies
2. Cooney
3. Ashby
4. Edwards
5. Gwilt
6. Hibberd
7. Pears
8. Kommer
9. Eades - (becoming a rookie?)
10. Dempsey

11. McKernan?

Rookie vacancies (category A):

1. Wallis (rookie)
  2. Hams (rookie)
  3. Gach (rookie)
  4. Long’s rookie place if promoted?
  5. Walla’s place if senior list vacancy remains? (resulting in a 5th Category A rookie spot)
  6. If another senior list vacancy was created? (resulting in a 6th Category A rookie spot)

Rookie vacancies (category B ):

2. Vacancy left over from last season
  3. Conor McKenna’s place if promoted?

Senior list ins:

1. Walla (rookie promotion)
  2. Kelly
  3. Dea
  4. Stewart
    5. Pick 1
  5. Pick 20
  6. Pick 29
  7. Pick 41
  8. Pick 68 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion (McKenna or Long)
  9. Pick 95 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion or PSD pick 1 or senior list vacancy?
  10. Pick 118 or delisted free agent or rookie promotion or PSD pick or senior list vacancy?

Rookie ins (category A):
1. Pick 1 (rookie) Wallis’ place
2. Pick 19 (rookie) Hams’ place.
3. Pick 37 (rookie) Gach’s place.- Eades?

4. Pick 55 (rookie) Long’s place if promoted?
5. Pick 73 (5th rookie) if senior list vacancy remains? (Walla’s place)
6. Pick 91 (6th rookie) if there is another senior list vacancy created?

An alternative to the rookie picks being used for new players, it has been proposed by the club that Yestin Eades may be (or may not be) put on the rookie list, which would effectively mop up our last available rookie selection (currently pick 37, but could go to pick 55 if Long is promoted to the senior list).

Rookie ins (category B ):
1. Free selection of international, or undrafted nominated Aboriginal or multicultural talent from our zone, also competing for AFL nominated or other nominated players from other zones who have missed out on being drafted and not selected by the owners of their zone.
2. As above.

3. Conor McKenna’s place if promoted to senior list.

Emma Quayle has a good article on the category B rookies ( theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-clubs-to-get-free-shot-at-multicultural-and-indigenous-rookies-after-this-years-draft-20160727-gqexp2.html )

Quoting myself to show another updated version of the list state of play with regards to list vacancies.

In the senior list ins, see bolded section showing the confirmed unfilled vacancies and how they might be filled.

ie: use of draft picks 1, 20, 29, 41, 68 and 95 is possible or a combination of only using the higher picks (eg: 1, 20.29 and 41) and also using the remaining vacancies for delisted free agents, rookie promotions, PSD picks or creation of senior list vacancies.

We will also be using pick 1, 19 and 37 in the rookie draft and could use pick 55 if Jake Long is promoted and Yestin Eades is a possibility for using the last rookie pick, according to the club who have left this open.

We are also likely to recruit 2 or 3 Category B rookies given the pool these are coming from is being increased to include Aboriginal and multicultural rookies as well as international and alternative sports rookies. There are 2 current Category B vacancies and could be a 3rd if Conor McKenna is promoted to the main list.

Enjoying these updates scarey

Shocked by Nyuon. Was clearly a project player so only one year is a major surprise.

Agree. I would have thought he was a long term project.

To me, it MUST have been something attitudinal that the club have seen that they feel will make the chances of him ‘making it’ extremely slim.

His incident during the season wouldn’t have helped. When you are taken top 5 and looking like a superstar (Hurley) a club is more lenient to things like this but when you are borderline it can be the excuse they need.

Which is tough. But I suppose life isn’t fair.

That’s a stretch. Gach might just not be up to it. Plenty of similar players have been let go in the past.

There seems to be better options at 22-24 years of age running around in the state leagues. I think we’re clearing his position to pick up a 204cm 100kg plus type of player who’s already developed and needs polishing.

I’ve been screaming for some ruthless list culling, and now that its happened I don’t know how to feel.

I've been screaming for some ruthless list culling, and now that its happened I don't know how to feel.
Nobody said it was easy Its such a shame for us to part
I've been screaming for some ruthless list culling, and now that its happened I don't know how to feel.
Nobody said it was easy Its such a shame for us to part

Tune!

Some good list management decisions in my opinion.

Eades and Gach lacked competiveness, so I think the right call was made there. Off field issues wouldn’t have helped their cause either.

Hams certainly cracked in, but was short on ability and athletic talent. Dempsey was cooked a few years ago.

There are the sort of pragmatic list management decisions that we have failed to make in previous years. Jackson Merrett can consider himself lucky he has another year to run on his contract because I suspect he would have been cut too (and perhaps Hams would’ve survived).

Geez I hope Jackson Merrett comes out and has a blinder next year after the amount of people in here who have written him off.