2016-17 List changes

Or....... Reserves listed players come under the same ruling as the academy system.

Yeah now theres an idea

Crikey, Woosha copping no sh*t.

The delisting of Eades and Gach shows a total reversal of our previous list management strategies.

Hams was a bit harsh, but I think it was the right call. He was just a notch off senior level, and I don’t reckon he was going to make that ground up.

I am glad we’re cutting hard though, we needed to.

Considering the draft is full of mids then this probably contributed to Hams demise.

McClug
Jy Simpkin
Ben Long
Willie Rioli
Someone else.

lets go.

If there were 70 man lists (or 50 at least) I reckon the standard of the competition would be higher.

On 44 player lists, if you turn over 8/year (4 main + 4 rookie), then at the start of every year you have 24 guys who have 2 years or less on the list (OK, I understand you might be turning over the same guys, but just for arguments sake). Even if 6 of them are good, you’re still carrying 18 guys who are still developing.

You need say 30 players across a year with injuries, form etc. So every year there’s 4 guys getting games who aren’t ready at any club.

With bigger lists development would get done in the development leagues, not in the top tier.

Have you thought about how those 70 man lists get paid?
Would be an issue with most clubs.
Might have to raise the price of pies.

Yeah I know, theory and reality are a little way apart at this stage…

Or....... Reserves listed players come under the same ruling as the academy system.

Great idea. As long as they have already listed for the national draft and not been selected so as to not compromise the national draft. Its almost sort of like an ectended rookie list.

It should also help enhance the standard or the reserve teams. And they still need to be under relevant salary cap. It would be another pathway. Encourage club to develop vfl list more knowing they have the opportunity of picking these kids up.

Was Woosha already on board when we drafted Nuyon and Eades?

Great idea. As long as they have already listed for the national draft and not been selected so as to not compromise the national draft. Its almost sort of like an ectended rookie list.

It should also help enhance the standard or the reserve teams. And they still need to be under relevant salary cap. It would be another pathway. Encourage club to develop vfl list more knowing they have the opportunity of picking these kids up.

It may also be another way for top clubs to stay on top, attracting talent from youth based on their success and not much else.
Academy players are supposedly fruits of investment.
F/S are fruits of …loins.

What's your point? Guy's been there 2 weeks when the draft happens and he's held responsible for picks that don't work out?

I don’t see Nuyon or Eades as bad decisions based off the info available at the time. Gach was the U18 AA ruckman, Eades had built up a really impressive fitness level indicating a strong work ethic and desire. They were late draft / early rookie picks. These are high risk / high reward types, these two didn’t pan out but that doesn’t mean we should be risk averse with our late draft selections.

Keep them rolling through

What's your point? Guy's been there 2 weeks when the draft happens and he's held responsible for picks that don't work out?

Not at all. Just wondering whether he had any input into their drafting as it seems he’s big on work ethic and they don’t fit the mould

You are a fired up and angry unit on a consistent basis AN :smiley:

Trade and draft months bring it out. Idiots making bigger fools of themselves on a daily basis.

I feel like Travis Bickle talking about the streets of New York, only instead of rain, it’s the trades and drafts.

Hahaha fair enough AN. Maintain the rage!

Rumour has it he was even worse in the 30’s when we were really struggling

Google “Josh Green” and Essendon and you get 6900 hits. Rumours have been circulating. He is on the market tomorrow I suppose, as a DFA.
What do we know about him? An irritating habit of kicking 3 goals in games against us, topped Brisbane goal kicking 2 years in a row with 33 goals his best. Who does he play like ? Puopolo ? Ballantine?

How likely is this ?

Trade and draft months bring it out. Idiots making bigger fools of themselves on a daily basis.

I feel like Travis Bickle talking about the streets of New York, only instead of rain, it’s the trades and drafts.

except you assumed i had an opinion that i didnt. good one, travis!

Google "Josh Green" and Essendon and you get 6900 hits. Rumours have been circulating. He is on the market tomorrow I suppose, as a DFA. What do we know about him? An irritating habit of kicking 3 goals in games against us, topped Brisbane goal kicking 2 years in a row with 33 goals his best. Who does he play like ? Puopolo ? Ballantine?

How likely is this ?

We could do worse than Josh Green. We need a small forwards and it will help Fantasia and Tippa.

Plays angry, kicks goals.

Ranga.

Must get.

Will be great for our VFL team.