2016 Post-Match Grand Final thread Essendon defeat Hawthorn 14.21 (105) 12.9 (81)

My best part of the game was the announcement that Carlton & Collingwood would now merge !! After many meetings, they decide on a new name "Fitzroy" so they can start a new chapter in the AFL with no bagged associated with their old names.
And they must take the worst eight players from the Bears, and the AFL have taken $6m off them.

What about when Joe kicked his 2nd of the match just after half time to bring up the ton?

Watching Billy Duckworth slug Dermott during the pre-match commentary was brilliant. Really set the tone for the day

Knew we had it when Luke Hodge went off ‘injured.’

My favourite was when Hodgey was subbed off ‘drunk’ and then banned for 8 matches for operating the security golf buggy under the influence.

When Doug Cox beat his rivals and the taxi drivers, in the half time sprint.
I knew it was going to be our day.

I absolutely love this thread but its going to be mighty depressing to read after Gold Coast beat us by 20 goals in Round 1…

Take a moment to consider the financial strife Humbert is now in. Poor guy.

Poor but happy.

We are going to start the year 2-0

After a slow start to the year as the side gradually built cohesion, Worsfold mastered a rotation plan of young and top up players to both get them through the season and developed a side of unparalleled depth, leading to a fresh side coming into the finals, where Essendon just scraped into the 8 after knocking Port Adelaide out of it. Essendon came back from 8 goals down at 3 quarter time after to win by 2 points. Lobbe went off with a hamstring early in the final quarter, and Leuenberger and Jamar went on to slaughter the ruck contests between them rotating off the bench and late in the game resting alternately in the forward pocket. But the most important player was the Essendon number 45 in more ways that one, yes our extra rookie, Conor McKenna kicked the winning goal which was his 7th for the match, where he read the ruck contests in the forward pockets particularly well and also fed off the spoils of the resting ruckmen.

The Port President, David Koch attempted to take the AFL to court to reverse the result of the game, based on being unfairly disadvantaged by Essendon being allowed to have a 45 player list and Port Adelaide was restricted to 44. He was told his case was legally sound, until the AFL sacked him and his board and put the club into AFL administration at which point he had to drop the case before it even begun.

Eddie complained that it was a tainted season because of the success of the top up players when EFC beat the filth by a point in the elimination final.

Brad Scott was ballistic when Grima took out Drew Petrie in the third quarter, when he was looking like getting away from him, when he “accidently” hit him in the head with an attempted spoil. Jason Johnson at the MRP ruled that Grima only had eyes for the ball and he was allowed to play on in the Preliminary final after Essendon beat the Roos by 2 points.

Richmond was very cocky going into the prelim against the Bombers but didn’t allow for 10 goal games from both JD and Grimley. Hardwick was heard to say, how dare those bastardz decide to kick straight against us, if only the Hawks let me use my ■■■■■■ laptop!

But yes, as alluded to above, it was the brawl at the beginning of half time that took all spirit away from the Hawks, with all the top up players involved and it got particularly ugly when they threw Sam Mitchell over the fence into the lap of Nathan Lovett Murray, who was heard to say after he had left him a wimpering mess on the ground in front of him, “Now go and get some injections from your doc and see if you can get back out there ya prik”, Mitchell as we all know didn’t return to the field and has since retired.

Yes, history was made in so many ways with Essendon’s 17th premiership, with Mike Fitzpatrick having to leave before the presentation due to illness, which we now know was a stroke, apparently from excessive blood pressure which developed during the match. He is making a recovery, but has had to relinquish his role as AFL Commission Chairman and lead a quiet life in retirement. Given Carlton winning its 5th wooden spoon (at which Fitzpatrick commented bitterly, at least we’ve won more of something than Essendon!), his doctor has recommended he keep away from football for the foreseeable future.

After a slow start to the year as the side gradually built cohesion, Worsfold mastered a rotation plan of young and top up players to both get them through the season and developed a side of unparalleled depth, leading to a fresh side coming into the finals, where Essendon just scraped into the 8 after knocking Port Adelaide out of it, after coming back from 8 goals down at 3 quarter time after Lobbe went off with a hamstring and Leuenberger and Jamar slaughtered the ruck contests between them rotating off the bench.

Eddie complained that it was a tainted season because of the success of the top up players when EFC beat the filth by a point in the elimination final.

Brad Scott was ballistic when Grima took out Drew Petrie in the third quarter, when he was looking like getting away from him, when he “accidently” hit him in the head with an attempted spoil. Jason Johnson at the MRP ruled that Grima only had eyes for the ball and he was allowed to play on in the Preliminary final after Essendon beat the Roos by 2 points.

Richmond was very cocky going into the prelim against the Bombers but didn’t allow for 10 goal games from both JD and Grimley. Hardwick was heard to say, how dare those bastardz decide to kick straight against us, if only the Hawks let me use my ■■■■■■ laptop!

But yes, as alluded to above, it was the brawl at the beginning of half time that took all spirit away from the Hawks, with all the top up players involved and it got particularly ugly when they threw Sam Mitchell over the fence into the lap of Nathan Lovett Murray, who was heard to say after he had left him a wimpering mess on the ground in front of him, “Now go and get some injections from your doc and see if you can get back out there ya prik”, Mitchell as we all know didn’t return to the field and has since retired.

Yes, history was made in so many ways with Essendon’s 17th premiership, with Mike Fitzpatrick having to leave before the presentation due to illness, which we now know was a stroke, apparently from excessive blood pressure which developed during the match. He is making a recovery, but has had to relinquish his role as AFL Commission Chairman and lead a quiet life in retirement. Given Carlton winning its 5th wooden spoon (at which Fitzpatrick commented bitterly, at least we’ve won more of something than Essendon!), his doctor has recommended he keep away from football for the foreseeable future.

Gold.

My favourite was when Hodgey was subbed off 'drunk' and then banned for 8 matches for operating the security golf buggy under the influence.

I thought it was a little mean (but funny) of the MCG music man to play “Drive - The Cars” when he got subbed off drunk!

How many weeks will Wallis get for his bump on McEvoy?
He was always worth his spot in the side for that alone.

We are going to start the year 2-0

Not convinced we will but I sure as hell want to see us go 2-0, more fancifully 3-0 or better. Not only for the wins but also just to see enraged opposition supporters and journos brains explode.

I think we have the team to go Back to Back

Looking forward to seeing Smack cement his place as the premier ruckman of the competition when he wins the Norm Smith next year.
Looking forward to seeing Smack cement his place as the premier ruckman of the competition when he wins the Norm Smith next year.

Ah shitt Billy, you just popped the fantasy … it was all believable up until that …

… if only you’d said ruck rover … dammit.

Agreed with all sentiments. Cracking day.

Any news on Bruce McAveney? I dunno if others noticed this but his voice sorta just broke when Rioli got his first kick of the day near the end of the third quarter and then we didn’t hear him again for the rest of the game. He alright?

Post GF discussions on the ABC’s Offsiders erupted as both Gerard Whateley and Caroline Wilson exploded with righteous indignation. It was straight jackets all round.

Agreed with all sentiments. Cracking day.

Any news on Bruce McAveney? I dunno if others noticed this but his voice sorta just broke when Rioli got his first kick of the day near the end of the third quarter and then we didn’t hear him again for the rest of the game. He alright?

He had a heart attack when tippa broke through rioli’s tackle.