2017 Candidate Q and A

Hi Killer_Mike.

Our aim is certainly to become less reliant on gaming revenues as we introduce reliable alternative revenue streams.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Appreciate you answering our questions. Especially on a weekend.

1 Like

Hi Katie, given the extension plans discussed above, lights, AFLW/VFLW changeroom, away team change rooms, are there any plans at prehaps hosting VFLW or VFL games at Tullamarine in the medium to long term?

No worries! Iā€™m usually lurking around here anyway.

1 Like

I think it is more likely long term I would think. Public transport continues to be a problem out at Tullamarine for now. No one quite has a solution for that yet.

I can probably help here Ealesy, there are, yes. Weā€™ll always have a presence at Windy Hill and plan to continue playing games there but certainly thereā€™s a view among the football department that playing on a ground of a similar size to those which the AFL play on (Windy Hill is considerably smaller) would be hugely beneficial for our overall game development, and that playing surrounded by our facilities/technology and the like has obvious advantages.
EDIT - though Katieā€™s absolutely right on public transport, it needs improving.

3 Likes

Nailed it.

9 Likes

That was my other question, because Iā€™ve never made it out to Tullamarine yet, because Iā€™m in the outer south-eastern suburbs and rely on public transport.

Figure though it is a bit unreasonable to expect the Board to be able to influence and fix the Vic public transport system though

2 Likes

@Paul_Cousins and @Catherine_Lio, considering the record of players once @anon71769209 jumps on their bandwagon, would you prefer him to place his support elsewhere?

6 Likes

In short? Yes.

In long? Yes.

7 Likes

One more question, given the relevations that were printed in the designated gossip pages of the Herald Sun regarding Jake Stringer and his ex partner would you know if anyone from the club has reached out to Abbey Gilmore.

Obviously Jake us a young man, and like a lot of young men has probably made some stupid decision that he regrets.

He has obviously been able to convince Xav, Woosha, Disco and the leadership group that with the right support he will be able to produce his best footy.

Do we as a club have a responsibility to also offer some level of support to his ex?

Iā€™m not sure of what support has been offered to Ms Gilmore specifically, but I know she is very close with Michael Hartleyā€™s fiance and Haylea Cooney. She was also invited to the most recent Long Walk Luncheon which she attended, as did Tania Hird.

2 Likes

Given your background get the club to lobby hard to fix the no streaming of games to a tv, it was a major f-up by the AFL in the media rights deal and to have to watch non FTA games on a phone if frustrating as hell! And NO I refuse to buy foxtel, I only want to pay for football, not a bunch of crap and ads.

1 Like

This isnā€™t a contest for class captain. Itā€™s not about who you personally like or who is the most accessible. Itā€™s about electing the most qualified candidate.

As I have said previously, I commend Katie and Paul for being accessable. I think Katie, in particular, is great value and Iā€™m a big fan. But thatā€™s not the primary role of a board member. To be honest, it really shouldnā€™t even be a small part of their role.

Iā€™ll be assessing the candidates and voting for who I think is the most qualified and who can provide the best expertise / strategic advice to the club. When I finish going through the candidates, it may very well be that Katie and Paul are the candidates who I think meet that bill. But the fact that they both occasionally post on here will not be a factor that I consider at all in making my decision.

1 Like

So you want the AFL to say to foxtel. Hey l know you pay us millions for tv rights to games but we want to allow anyone who doesnt want to pay you to be able to do so cheaper by paying us and streaming to a tv. You can argue foxtel is too expensive but unless the afl is willing to accept less money for rights its not gonna happen.
If l could dump my foxtel to stream cheaper, lā€™d do it instantly as would a large majority of foxtel subscribers. So why would they pay big money for rights if that was allowed.

Consider how successful the MLB has been with their streaming business. The AFL would probably be successful selling subscriptions for streaming too.

They get about $360M/y. from Foxtel A subscription to Fox with sports is ~$700 pa. If there are 1 million people who would pay $400 for an AFL subscription, they would not need to sell to Foxtel and could still have FTA.

Hell, even talking about doing so would get Foxtel thinking about paying more. They would be screwed if not for their effective sports monopoly.

You can purchase an AFL Live pass which is $80 per season (free if you are on selected Telstra services). Allows you to watch any match live on your phone/tablet.

1 Like

And you think they havent looked into it.
If the economics meant they could get near the money through streaming themselves theyā€™d be doing it. American sports have a much greater potential streaming audience. And it will happen eventually but most likely when foxtel stops willing to pay top dollar.

Unfortunately this has hit the nail on the head. I was in the sport and entertainment team at Telstra a few years ago when the AFL bought all of AFL Media in to our offices for 6 months to prepare a handover of the digital properties including the streaming (long term goal, not right away).

They found out very quickly that the cost of building the infrastructure needed to run an MLB or NBA type service was well above what the return would be due to the size of our population, viewership and general cost of the tech and support needed.

While the companies are willing to cough up $$s and use their existing infrastructure I canā€™t see the AFL going in-house any time soon sadly.

Edit: Oh, and in my opinion ā€˜eventā€™ tv is the only draw card of FTA and pay TV these days - so paying partners will hold on tight to sporting properties.

1 Like