2017 Candidate Q and A

What are people’s opinions on what Sean Wellman could bring to the board. I’ve already made my mind up in terms of where my vote lies however find him an interesting candidate

Hi Katie

I am writing as the Chairman of the powerful Dubbo Coterie (4 members). Can you please ask the boys to win a game in Sydney? It’s been a long time and I am sick of copping it from my swans mates.

Thank you

Humble

19 Likes

I’m on the case. This years two losses were particularly devastating for entirely different reasons.

You hold the fort with your coterie and I’ll pass on the “we would like a win in Sydney (and everywhere else thanks)” feedback.

2 Likes

Wellman meets the Board skills matrix in respect of past player and professional skills outside football. He is a role model in that he assisted the suspended players and enjoys their respect , as well as demonstrating that it is possible to acquire qualifications and carve out a career outside football post retirement. Further, as someone who suffered from the saga as a staff member, he would have governance considerations uppermost
In recent times the Board has included two past players in Madden and Heffernan , so that should no be a discounting factor .
The above is not to suggest that I am promoting him over anyone else, rather to identify his assets. I consider him a strong candidate.

6 Likes

Appeasing the generation supporters coteries and sponsors won’t make this club what it should be. I’m not a member nor Will be its because I don’t live vic and don’t have the money to spend thousands to get there. When you and the board realize that there thousands of us maybe tens of thousand of us that barrack for this club that arent members .I’d gladly become a non voting member with no privileges or access to games if the money was spent in a tangible way. By that I mean something that has long term benefit to our academies. Talk is cheap and the afl are masters of it. As a great friend once said showing is better than telling. I’ve finished my rant and good luck to you and paul

2 Likes

I like this. I believe @benfti suggested the idea of a Tiwi Bombers membership - but perhaps we could go a little further, and look into Academy sponsorship. It’s certainly an interesting concept and I would love to know if there is any appetite for it.

2 Likes

I buy a Tiwi Bombers and/or Acedemy membership.

1 Like

Catherine and Paul I appreciate your preparedness to interact with us.

Nothing appears to have been done at the club to honour its found, the McCrackens. Would you be prepared to look into this?

3 Likes

You have the vote of our powerful Coterie.

1 Like

Yes, great idea!

1 Like

I would absolutely support all of that, id even go as far to dust of the old salesman hat and chase sponsors for it if it helped.

2 Likes

I’m going to follow this up with Darren tomorrow. I’m on it.

1 Like

Hi Jackie.

That sounds like something the club historian should be looking into for the future Hall of Fame I think!

No, that’s not what I said.

I would be happy to pay for a season pass, but you can’t on anything bigger than a phone. They limited the tablet size to 6 inches screen size after having it on an iPad for years.

I want them to unlock the app to allow me to push the video to my TV. It’s about 10 lines of code, I’d do it myself if they’d let me.

They can keep the stupid media rights deal they have, they can keep the stupid Foxtel arrangement. Just provide an alternative. It’s nothing more than a protectionist move by Murdoch to save standard Foxtel for a few more years before it dies it’s inevitable death. The AFL we’re idiots for doing it and it has already cost them viewers and $.

The ability to stream has never been easier and the cost of those services to build and run have come down astronomically. Hell there is a company in Malaysia that built a local Netflix competitor with over a million subscriber with 5 App developers from Melbourne.

Because the MLB, NFL and NBA have built them then it’s done, there is no high tech development to be done, all it is is skinning the app and having the infrastructure to support it. Which they already have half of for the current streaming service.

1 Like

I know exactly what you said. You want to stream from your phone to the tv thus paying less than foxtel. Who wouldnt. But foxtel only pay millions because most people want to watch on a tv. If anyone can stream from a cheaper phone pass then that makes foxtels product way less valuable. Whether its easy to do technically is irrelevant. The afl cant make the money it gets from foxtel from streaming so why would they let you do it. Its not a hard concept, its basic business.

2 Likes

If that’s the extent of your and by extension the AFLs ‘buisness’ Concept then I’d better go pick an NBA team be as their stuffed.

Some of that’s true, but, it isn’t either because it’s terrible business.

The current deal is worth around 420 Million a year. That’s all the AFL get, and it is extreemly short sighted.

NBA league pass generates nearly 100ml dollars in Australia per year, wow you say, but this is the thing, they use CSNBC, TNT and ESPN to do all the work for them. They only produce minor content, and it makes nearly 1/4 of the revenue in Australia as the AFL does despite the audience being roughly 1/20th of the size.

The much smarter, more savvy thing to do would have been to hold onto their digital rights, sign a free to air partner for around 250 mil per season, and then handle their streaming service themselves which then would bring in the rights to sell advertising on it. Between the free to air contract, their subscription revenue, and enevidable revenue via advertising they would have made WAY over what they got in the deal from Foxtel. In face make a deal with a telco for data free streaming and some home box for the oldies and they probably make even more.

It was a dumbass move by the AFL…

There is a good reason MLB, NBA and NFL don’t sell their digital rights to cable companies.

7 Likes

A dumb question: is there an element of cross subsidisation in the fees for foreign country access to US sport, arising from revenue generated in the US?
I am mindful of the power of the US movie industry, which allows the revenue from the home base to offload cheaply to other countries at prices which do not reflect the cost of production.

Spot on. The AFL have failed to find a way to monitise content in the new, cheaper, distribution methods and locked it in for 6 years. By that time it will be too late.

It’s why it’s such an important question for the board members. This goes to the very financial viability of the AFL and by extension the EFC.

If you don’t get it and won’t push it up through the chairman to push the AFL to change. Then I won’t vote for you and nobody else should. There are many on blitz with the same foresight and as our communities reps on the board you should be pushing our agenda.

To preempt a response If you feel you got there on your own merit then I urge blitz to let you get re-elected on your own without our help.

I would be interested in this also.

2 Likes